Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has passed the 100,000 mile mark on their odometer. What kind of mechanical problems, if any, have you experienced? Any squeeks, rattles, vibrations, hesitations??
I just want to know what the future may hold for me. I am only at 22k but I plan to take this rig to the grave. I love it. :rocker:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Toyotas last forever! :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
i have about 40000 and i have had work done on mine and of course it has a a few rattles here and there but there is no vehicle that wont have that especially after taking it offroad many many times.... with age and miles it will make a few noises here and there.. its normal..... its just like us humans, we moan and groan as we get older!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
And make noises as well. The stainless in my ankle pops like clicking two wrenches together. That famous "sucking sound" that Ross spoke of seems to be at the frequency of my heart sometimes and in my ears (i.e. BP).. Ron

PS: The FJ makes all kind-a noise.. click, whirr, purr, screech, slam.. Sounds Zulu sometimes

i have about 40000 and i have had work done on mine and of course it has a a few rattles here and there but there is no vehicle that wont have that especially after taking it offroad many many times.... with age and miles it will make a few noises here and there.. its normal..... its just like us humans, we moan and groan as we get older!

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I know Woody has about 90k on his in one year but Toyota takes care of everything for the TT. I have 36k on mine in 13 months and no problems here.....knock on wood.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just hit 50,000.

I got mine in 2006, the week that Toyota released the FJ. He told me I got one of the first FJs in the country. My best friend's dad owns the dealership I bought it from, I got a hell of a deal.

My driver's side suicide door rattles when you go on a bumpy dirt road other than that nothing. I have not had one mechanical problem yet. No windshield replacement. I can go on and on about how my FJ has held up.

I do kind of beat on it, but in my defense I follow the regularly scheduled maintenance religiously at my local Toyota shop. I have a good friend that is a service advisor and he hooks me up cheap.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I know Woody has about 90k on his in one year but Toyota takes care of everything for the TT. I have 36k on mine in 13 months and no problems here.....knock on wood.

I am curious as to how many times the following has happend to Woody with 90K on his rig:

1) Front windows shattering
2) Rear end explosions
3) Front of the car ripping in half from the notorious inner fender rips

I'm sure he has not had any of those things. Just a little sarcastic humor. Glad to hear these things are holding up so well. :king:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I realize that all cars have rattles and squeeks after a while, but I am wondering if anyone has had major issues. I owned a Jeep Wrangler before the FJ and it was a POS. After 40,000 miles, it had transmission problems, brake problems, etc. There was a clunking noise inside the dash that no mechanic could figure out. Believe it or not, the clunking noise was so anoying, that it pushed me over the edge and I traded it in.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
it all depends on how you treat the truck. yes toyotas are great but if you dont maintain it it will break like all other models.... I have 16k on mine but treat it really hard offroad which is why I already have tranny problems. If you baby it you will be fine but if you drive it hard things will break

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I just hit 73k. I've had it off road in the Moab, Ouray, Aspen areas as well as Badlands ORP. No rattles, no breakdowns no issues at all except for two cracked windshields. I've owned 89, 94 and 03 4Runners as well as a 89 Dodge Raider with SAS. Nothing compares to the FJ in overall abilities. This baby can go from interstate speeds to rock crawling and not miss a beat. I friggin' love this truck!:rocker:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I am curious as to how many times the following has happend to Woody with 90K on his rig:

2) Rear end explosions

I'm sure he has not had any of those things. Just a little sarcastic humor. Glad to hear these things are holding up so well. :king:
I spoke with Woody at the Boulder Creek run, and the rear end is original. He also suggested that I replace the rear end fluid in mine after I told him my FJ had 5,500 miles on it. I don't know about the other two. I should have asked to look under the hood for the rips.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I'm at 75,500 in 23 months, no issues except the most pathetic, sad looking windshield you have ever seen. Have done lots of off-roading, no rattles.

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
I know Woody has about 90k on his in one year but Toyota takes care of everything for the TT.

2) Rear end explosions

I wish I had seen this last night. The Central Team was here. We actually did talk about this and, yes, his truck will roll over 90K on the way out to Tennessee this week.
His is a carryover from last year's tour. I think, in fact, that it was one of ours from the West Coast Team but I'd have to double check the license plate.

True that Toyota helps us maintain the vehicles but the way we drive (pulling trailers, 'wheeling them on trips like the Rubicon, Badlands, etc.) puts it through its paces. So, rest assured, the TT trucks have had to replace windshields, diffs, pulleys, cup holder inserts, and so on, there has not been one major issue with the engine or rest of the drive train.

It's a Toyota!

M

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
At the rate I am driving my FJ, I will report back in about 8 years.....Currently, my FJ has just over 25,000 Kms (15,000 Miles) and it is almost 2 years old! And yes, it is my daily driver...but I travel a lot with my job. :) But as of yet, other than paint chips, and a cracked windshield - all is well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i have a good question.... how does toyota pick who joins the trail team?? they are awesome people, but i juat want to know how toyota found them and what does it take to be part of the toyota trail team???

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
i have a good question.... how does toyota pick who joins the trail team?? they are awesome people, but i juat want to know how toyota found them and what does it take to be part of the toyota trail team???
Sparkling wit, fearlessness, incredible good looks, and a willing spirit to die for the brand. That and some mad driving skills! ;)

Each of us was chosen for different reasons, really. How does the saying go? Something about the sum of the parts....:lol:

M

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sparkling wit, fearlessness, incredible good looks, and a willing spirit to die for the brand. That and some mad driving skills! ;)

Each of us was chosen for different reasons, really. How does the saying go? Something about the sum of the parts....:lol:

M
Hey MuddyGrrl,
From your last posting I am assuming you are one of the Trail Team members. As I am sure the TT members have some of the highest mileage and have seen more off-roading than most, can you tell us of any common problems amongst the TT rigs? Specifically windows, rear-ends, inner fender bulging/ripping, paint probs or any of the other common complaints that are seen on this forum. Thanks for any info you can give. :)

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Hey MuddyGrrl,
From your last posting I am assuming you are one of the Trail Team members. As I am sure the TT members have some of the highest mileage and have seen more off-roading than most, can you tell us of any common problems amongst the TT rigs? Specifically windows, rear-ends, inner fender bulging/ripping, paint probs or any of the other common complaints that are seen on this forum. Thanks for any info you can give. :)
Make your first sentence past tense and you are correct. I was on the East Coast Team in '06, West Coast in '07. After the Summit last year, I gave my notice. I was growing weary of always saying 'good-bye' to people! :(

The problems the TT trucks had were/are the same 'popular' ones folks on here have:
pulleys that didn't like running through mud puddles
broken windshields (sometimes by hitting birds in Texas! :eek:)

But all in all, for the serious 'wheeling we did, these things have held up beautifully.

Here's the thing I always think of when people start in on the problems:
I still drive it off-road after I fix it because I know it can take it.

The day after last year's tour ended, I went out and bought one for myself. That ought to be a stand-alone testament, wouldn't you say? I could have chosen any off-road truck, new or old. But I picked the FJ Cruiser for one reason: it's worthy.

M

1 - 20 of 29 Posts