Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm also looking at ways to use the OEM BT mic with an aftermarket radio (Kenwood) and after seeing it work on some radios (Pioneer) and not on others, I'm inclined to believe that some radios are powering the mic and others are using the mic passively. This could explain why it works for some and not for others.

Anyone else think that there is validity to this theory? Is the oem mic amplified by the deck and if so, it may be a matter of finding an aftermarket HU that uses the same type of mic setup (passive vs amplified).

Xeon

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think there was a similar post on the Tundra forums where someone mentioned the mic was powered since there were possibly, 3 wires going to it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Subscribing to this thread for when I replace my HU in the coming weeks... Hope there is a solution! Not mad at the idea of taping an external mic to the dash when there's already a perfectly serviceable one in the mirror.

Surprising there's not an adapter harness in the aftermarket already.

gb

·
formerly 13FJTT
836 Posts
Has anyone figured this out yet? I would prefer to do this without cutting any wires if possible as I might want to put the factory HU back in if I decided to sell my FJ in the future.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The FJ mic is powered. The mics that come with aftermarket Bluetooth units are not. I explored this whole issue when I installed my overhead console.

Here's what I found:
  1. The OEM mic takes +5V power, not +12V. So to power it, you'd need a 7805 voltage regulator IC to provide 5V to the mic from the 12V radio power.
  2. The OEM mic does not work without power.
  3. If you do manage to properly power it, it overloads the input on the aftermarket Bluetooth, which expects a passive mic.

Bottom line, use the one that came with the radio. Sorry!

If you are creative with a Dremel, you might find a way to mount the radio mic in the space currently occupied by the OEM mic.

·
formerly 13FJTT
836 Posts
Well, I guess I have no choice but to use the mic that came with the unit. I am in the process of installing Kenwood DNX 9990HD. How is the sound quality of Kenwood Bluetooth compare to the OEM one?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Well, I guess I have no choice but to use the mic that came with the unit. I am in the process of installing Kenwood DNX 9990HD. How is the sound quality of Kenwood Bluetooth compare to the OEM one?
I have a Kenwood. I think the sound quality is fine for the driver because it's a very directional looking device. It's mounted behind the mirror at the edge of the glass. It's very discreet looking. But it's semi blocked by the mirror for anyone trying to talk from the passenger seat or the back. Is that a big deal, eh? The head unit has mic volume controls, so you can adjust it.

I wish I could have kept the oem mic ... but I'll trudge on with my life anyway.

I also wanted to keep the original usb plug. BUT, upon further review, I'm happy with my new plug in the glove box. I've bought a 64GB memory stick and started ripping CDs (wav format so there is no digital compromise). I've now got a massive (enough) built in media server. I can swap out the albums or just buy a bigger stick when I fill it. For now 100+ album capacity is more than enough.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I also wanted to keep the original usb plug. BUT, upon further review, I'm happy with my new plug in the glove box. I've bought a 64GB memory stick and started ripping CDs (wav format so there is no digital compromise). I've now got a massive (enough) built in media server. I can swap out the albums or just buy a bigger stick when I fill it. For now 100+ album capacity is more than enough.
The USB plug is doable, I have a link in my build thread here for it:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/142066-firefly-2012-trail-teams-build-14.html#post2149365

21 - 31 of 31 Posts