Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this sub box. I want to install a sub or 2, but want a custom fit on the passenger side where the stock is supposed to go. I'm debating cas but would like to go a cheaper route if I can find something quality. Found this but I'm wondering if anyone has installed one.

FJ Cruiser Stealth Subwoofer Enclosure

·
Registered
273 Posts
That looks really nice! It's not expensive unlike all the others, it's not too bulky, it doesn't stick out as much and sits pretty flush. I kinda regret now ordering a Kicker 8" haha

The only thing that worries me is that the mounting depth is no more than 4.75" when the subs I looked(10" subs) at are about at least 5" mounting depth. The box is an enclosure but kinda wished it was ported.

I too would like to know if anyone has installed this one.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yeah, looks alright. If you look at the bottom of the page it recommends the shallow mount sub you should use with it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
my local audio shop is going to custom make a fiberglass box where the oem sub is so I can fit a 10 inch solo-baric but now I may be reconsidering after seeing this box. I was stuck on the solobaric but maybe find a round....The custom box would be 250-300.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking getting a shallow sub wouldn't be that bad. I think Rockford makes one. I may be the first to pull the trigger on this. I'll update if I do

·
Registered
627 Posts
I looked at this box last week, and I almost ordered one, but I decided to experiment with a stock 2011 sub enclosure first as a challenge to see what I can make it do (or not do). I love a challenge.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm gonna go for it.. Found some shallow mount rockfords on eBay for just over 100

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think I'm gonna go for it.. Found some shallow mount rockfords on eBay for just over 100
I think it looks pretty good, and I would give it a try, but I would approach with caution, ordering only the box first to make sure it is up to the job and then later ordering the drivers. Please let us all know how it turns out because it is a fair price.

Also, I haven't researched it yet, but did you match the driver's VAS to the sub enclosure volume? Did you calculate the Q value and F3? If not, I will, but it will take me a few days. I am already working with several other people. What Rockfords are you looking at? I am using a ten speaker Rockford Fosgate speaker upgrade to my 2011 6 speaker factory system.

Always willing to help folks, with 30+ years experience in high end home and mobile audio, and I do not sell anything so no profit motive.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
Rockford p3sd210 and rockford P-400 2 channel amp.
I'll look at it tomorrow afternoon. Expect a response, and if you don't get one, send me a personal message so I don't forget.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
Rockford p3sd210 and rockford P-400 2 channel amp.
I'm running some calculations, and I have an important question before I go too far.

Why are you considering a dual voice coil sub instead of a single coil sub with a mono amp or stereo amp bridged into mono?

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It was cheaper based on the options I was looking at. Didnt want to mention this earlier but I hope this setup willnwork cause I already bought the stuff. I otnexcited. If not I can probably just buy what I need at the shop that will install. Thanks for helping me.

Also wanted to add that I had to get a shallow mount sub and that was the only Rockford I saw that would fit.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It was cheaper based on the options I was looking at. Didn't want to mention this earlier but I hope this setup will work cause I already bought the stuff. I got excited. If not I can probably just buy what I need at the shop that will install. Thanks for helping me.

Also wanted to add that I had to get a shallow mount sub and that was the only Rockford I saw that would fit.
Here are the calculations, since you already bought the sub and box:

Enclosure

.55 cubic ft
Mounting depth = 4.75"
Assume .05 cubic foot driver displacement
Available volume = .5 cubic feet
Polyfill = +20% = .6 cubic feet if stuffed

Rockford p3sd210 dual 2 ohm specs

Fs = 44 Hz
Qts = .66
Vas = 10.4 liters
SPL 1w/1 m = 83
3.5" top mount depth
.4 - 1 cubic foot enclosure recommended

Rockford p3sd210 calculations

EBP = Fs/Qes = 44/.77 = 57 = best for a sealed enclosure
Target Qtc = .85
Vb = .56 cubic feet
F3 = 49 Hz

"Qtc of 0.85 yields + 0.69 dB peak in response curve. Generally very good performance with only slightly accentuated (non-flat) bass, good low bass response."

You will want to stuff box 1/2 to 3/4 full with polyfill to increase the apparent internal volume of the enclosure. Do not crowd the back of the speaker and do not let the polyfill touch it. Do not pack it too tight.

The sub and enclosure should work well, but I would not have used a dual voice coil driver for a single sub install unless absolutely required.

That amp is not 1 ohm stable, so you will not be able to wire the voice coils in parallel if you bridge the amp. Also, I think Rockford recommends minimum 4 gauge power and ground wiring.

Anyone else looking at this box who wants different driver options, send me a message.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutch...enter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1DVC_4-ohm_2ch.jpg

Found that online and figure it should be wired like that. I my change the sub in the future. Thanks for doing the calculations, not 100% sure what they mean ut it gives me a good idea.
I would not bridge the amplifier. I would use left and right channels in stereo mode with each channel driving one of the two voice coils.

Meaning of the calculations:

EBP = Fs/Qes = 44/.77 = 57 - means the speaker is best for a sealed enclosure not a ported one.

Qtc = .85 - means the frequency response curve and transient response will be satisfactory - "Qtc of 0.85 yields + 0.69 dB peak in response curve. Generally very good performance with only slightly accentuated (non-flat) bass, good low bass response."

Vb = .56 cubic feet - means the box is a little small for this speaker, so some polyfill stuffing is going to be needed.

F3 = 49 Hz - means without any eq, this will be the point below which the bass is still there, but it rolls off to the point of not being really useful or powerful below this.

You will want to stuff box 1/2 to 3/4 full with polyfill to increase the apparent internal volume of the enclosure. Do not crowd the back of the speaker and do not let the polyfill touch it. Do not pack it too tight.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks this helps a lot.

Side note, saw your post on your bull bar and I have the same one.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks this helps a lot.

Side note, saw your post on your bull bar and I have the same one.
I think your sub is going to be fine. Be sure to post the results. I'll always answer any questions if you run into any snags along the way or if you decide you want to do something different.

I really want to know how sturdy the box is and how well it fits. Close up pics of your install would be nice.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to have a shop do the install because my dealership said I have to have anything I put in done professionally in order to not void warranty. But I will put up any pics I can

1 - 20 of 55 Posts