Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some reading here I see that the FJ isn't so great at towing, something I didn't realize when i bought it. It wasn't my first consideration and I have used the FJ for some heavy 4 wheeling, road travel, 2 years in Alaska etc. It has done great but I want to downsize from my house to really small. It is my wife and myself and we have lived in really small places around the wold for extended times, a few years at a time, so I realize the Sport in the 16 foot is little but not an issue. What I wonder is how the FJ would do with this relatively small trailer?

https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/sport/

Thanks for any input or ideas.

·
A-Team Moderator
8,221 Posts
I had a Starcraft AR-One Extreme same length and weight as the Airstream and it was getting me 10mpg. I sold it.

Trans cooler, frame mounted hitch plus a Weight Dist Hitch for the trailer, brake controller/7 pin, rear spring air bags wouldn't hurt either.

FYI: Amazon has the OEM trailer harness kit on sale from $86 to $16. There's a thread on it w/ the link.

Good Luck in your Adventure!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a Starcraft AR-One Extreme same length and weight as the Airstream and it was getting me 10mpg. I sold it.

Trans cooler, frame mounted hitch plus a Weight Dist Hitch for the trailer, brake controller/7 pin, rear spring air bags wouldn't hurt either.

FYI: Amazon has the OEM trailer harness kit on sale from $86 to $16. There's a thread on it w/ the link.

Good Luck in your Adventure!
I didn't realize it didn't have what was required to tow with. When I bought the FJ they said it was trailer ready. So it needs this: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-Accessories-08921-35870-Converter/dp/B009NTD3LW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487624379&sr=8-1&keywords=fj+cruiser+trailer+harness+kit ?

From what I gather, you did not like towing with the FJ?

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
While the FJ does come with a "tow package" in reality it is a smaller SUV with a V6 engine and probably is not the optimum for towing over 1000lbs without some extra equipment.

If you add that equipment that Hannibal mentioned you will be fine to tow with and you will still have your FJ to do the exploring that you have been used to.

If you want something that will tow easily buy a 3/4 ton pickup that is set up out of the factory for towing.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
That's an awesome domicile at only 2800 lb. I would think the FJ would be OK with that!

·
A-Team Moderator
8,221 Posts
I didn't like the mileage with such a small gas tank. FWIW, Carry extra! :cheers: Anything 6% and above grade would bog it down to 45 mph or less and the RPM's were above 3K in fourth on an auto.

Oh yes, it's need that harness kit if it doesn't already have one. The pigtail connector that that plugs into is behind the drivers side wheel on the frame. The under dash module's connector is up there in the wire loom outward of the brake pedal arm, and the fuses go under the hood in that fuse panel. Add a brake controller and 7 pin and the OEM harness kit Flat 4 plugs into the back of the 7 pin.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hey @John8 I have been looking into getting an Airstream and the biggest one we were told to tow was the Airstream Sport 22' which is 3700 pounds. They like to keep 1,000 lbs under towing capacity and the FJ sits at 4700. Im not excited about towing with it but I also don't want to get rid of my FJ. I was looking at Tundras the other day but I just can't do it. I might end up getting the Airstream Basecamp. My wife and I do a lot of fly fishing and weekend hiking stuff so it would be ideal for that. If I was buying an Airstream for long trips with pets and kids, I would buy a Tundra, keep my FJ and get rid of my wifes car. She wouldn't mind going from a hybrid to a Tundra. HA!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
We were looking at Airstreams too. I think the 16' Sport is the largest you can go with the FJ considering gross weight and tongue weight. We would probably go up to the 19' Flying Cloud because the shower and toilet are separate, so no FJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My father used to tow our 16 ft Speedycraft boat. Not a light boat and he did it with a 59 Ford station wagon and then with his 47 Willy's jeep, with its 60 hp flat head. lol I don't mean a little towing, he would take boat distances and never minded it or complained. How did he do it with a Willys Jeep? I learned to drive in that jeep and it was the beginning of my 4 wheeling. Then he got a Bronco, half cab with a straight 6 and used it and finally a 73 Ford Bronco with a V8. I had the Bronco until I got the 2012 FJ. The Bronco was used for the boat until he got rid of the boat. The Bronco was great off roading but I never liked on the highway.

I appreciate your input here. I can see where the FJ isn't ideal by any means and for a few reasons. I guess it is expectations and driving methods.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I towed an 18 foot Fun Finder travel trailer from Texas to Tennessee. Pretty much lived in it for 3 months as well.

I was most likely right at the weight capacity for the FJ. Had air springs in the back, transmission cooler, and anti sway weight distribution hitch. Transmission temperatures were fine, but the max speed was mostly 60 mph. I got 8-10 mpg.

Something that size can be done, but it is far from optimal. Right now I am shopping around for a full size truck for towing this setup in the summer.

Before the Fun Finder we had an Aliner, that was easier to tow, but did sway some due to the single axle and lack of a anti sway hitch.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts