Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an all pro winch bumper (no winch) with large bullbars. i have 4 KCs installed on the bull bar and now searching for a way to mount 2 surf fishing rods. i don't have a roof rack and don't planning on getting on (so i can get in the garage). any ideas, thoughts, recommendations, anything at all?

thank you

·
Registered
4,337 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
i don't have a trailer hitch (could get one), what were you thinking?
I was just thinking that it would be fairly simple to make (if some company doesn'tr already) a rod holder that you could put in the trailer hitch and it would be removable when not in use. You could strap the rods to the spare for extra support while you are driving.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Here is what I do, for the 9 foot jig sticks I use and anything else I wrap them up with my grip twists, up to 9 feet they fit fine inside the FJ with no bending. You just lay them on the back seat with the butt almost touching the window, the tip will lay on the dash next to the gauge pod.

I do use one 10 foot rod and for that I put it along the side with the grip twist padding the part of the rod that sticks out the window right where the mirror arm is at.

Twist Tie - Grip Twist

·
Registered
119 Posts
the best solution for long fishing rods is the thule castaway, mounted to the stock roof rack

i am building a cargo carrier that is hitch mounted that will carry surf rods vertically with pvc rocket launchers or with a thule or yakima ski rack. here is a pic with rods really for a passing school, but not with the rocket launcher attachment.

i am trying to get this cargo carrier finished soon and will keep the forum updated.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/37836-trail-hitch-cargo-carrier-4.html
this would only work with a hitch receiver...so maybe this does not help you.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
the best solution for long fishing rods is the thule castaway, mounted to the stock roof rack

i am building a cargo carrier that is hitch mounted that will carry surf rods vertically with pvc rocket launchers or with a thule or yakima ski rack. here is a pic with rods really for a passing school, but not with the rocket launcher attachment.

i am trying to get this cargo carrier finished soon and will keep the forum updated.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/37836-trail-hitch-cargo-carrier-4.html
this would only work with a hitch receiver...so maybe this does not help you.

Thule no longer makes the Castaway

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
last time I was in Hatteras I saw so many guys with the PVC pipe rod holders....They were on atleast every second 4x4 I saw......They all looked relatively easy to make....Most had the big carriers (front or rear reciever mounted) to hold the huge bait and catch coolers...Imagine the weight when they were full of water or ice....

·
Registered
576 Posts
thule rack is garbage...anyone can pop the lock open....get a hunter rod vaul and drill thru your bumper..the mounting bolts are hidden afer installation and its the only thing i trust to keep my Van Staal safe...

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
i don't have a trailer hitch (could get one), what were you thinking?
If you are in an area where you drive on the beach, DO NOT CARY THE RODS BEHIND YOUR VEHICLE. The sand you kick up will destroy a rod in a season or two, and will destroy a reel in one trip.

I'm considering a front hitch mount to an Allpro bumper. There is a rod holder out now that attaches to a hitch receiver. It also lays down to carry a cooler. I have seen them around my area.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can alwyas try Stronco's Yakadapters and put the Yakima roof rack on or I read a post where someone modified it to use the Thule landing pads. Just had to drill different holes. They snap on and off easy enough then you'll fit in your garage :clap: and you'll have the rack when you need it. Way cheaper than a full roof rack you don't always need. That way your reels won't get jacked up on the back.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The Thule rack is not really good in my opinion and cant carry the amount rods I like to take on trips. I like what I do, I tie my rods up together and carry them inside with me. I dont have to worry about them being stolen and they stay free of debris and sand.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you really want to have them on the front bumper get some rocket launchers wellded on. Did you see the cabelas link that I included in my earlier post?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts