1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard so many horror stories on the forum about the TRD CAI:

-The tube pops loose.
-The filter gets filthy quickly.
-Dashboard lights come on after installation.
-The computer is reset after disconnecting the battery.
-There is a gap between the inside fender wall and the so and so.
-Etc.

Am I just paranoid or is this a legitimate concern?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do not install this part on your truck...
Go down to the post office...mail it to me...and I'll put it on my FJ and let you know how it works out for me!!!!! haha

Just kidding...I don't have one yet but have only heard good things about the TRD and the AFE which I believe are both made by AFE. I'm definitely getting one as soon as I can...I think I'm shooting for the AFE because you can take the plug out and get a little more sound out of it! hehe Hope this helps and I'm sure people that do have this will be on here shortly to tell you all the good and bad they've experienced with the TRD CAI!!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do not install this part on your truck...
Go down to the post office...mail it to me...and I'll put it on my FJ and let you know how it works out for me!!!!! haha

Just kidding...I don't have one yet but have only heard good things about the TRD and the AFE which I believe are both made by AFE. I'm definitely getting one as soon as I can...I think I'm shooting for the AFE because you can take the plug out and get a little more sound out of it! hehe Hope this helps and I'm sure people that do have this will be on here shortly to tell you all the good and bad they've experienced with the TRD CAI!!!!

Thanks, Moeses.

Shalom

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts

-The tube pops loose.
-Etc.

I never had any issues with mine, had it in the sand, mud, and heavy rock crawling. Install the darn thing, and enjoy.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you know how to turn a wrench then you can EASILY do this mod. I had mine on in about 15 minutes. After the install it took about a day for the computer to learn the new Air Fuel mixture then i could actually tell a difference in performance. There were no lights that came on in my instruments after install either. Well I hope this gets your courage up enough to do it. Oh and plus the sound of the CAI at full throttle is enough to make your hair stand up. Next thing you need is the JBA Cat Back exhaust. Happy modding!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
You are just paranoid.. Install that thing and see how it does.. Ron

-The tube pops loose.
-Etc.

·
Registered
191 Posts
yeah love mine too. only issue i had was my fault. i noticed that 3 of the screws had come out while changing the oil...luckily they were in the engine bay!! make sure you tighten them down really good! only other problem you will find is that the foot to floor ratio increases once installed, especially if you have exhaust! put in on you wont be worried

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
do it! do not pay a dealership to do it..just hung up with one, i was ordering my own, and they quoted my over $200 and said 2.5 hour job time...what a joke...good luck

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
do it! do not pay a dealership to do it..just hung up with one, i was ordering my own, and they quoted my over $200 and said 2.5 hour job time...what a joke...good luck
Good choice, $200....what a joke...wonder what they charge to install a SC?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Toyota wouldn't release it if it had that many problems, they have to stand behind them if the dealership installs them, and they had to pass CARB also, so, put thing on and get to playin' with it, you'll love it !!!!!!!!:clap::cheers:

Mark

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, everybody. My confidence is being restored.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

-The tube pops loose.
-Etc.

1. There is no way the tubes are going to come loose if you tighten the hose clamps correctly. If everything is lined up correctly you actually have to bend the rubber connectors to get things disconnected... Not going to happen unintentionally.

2. The filter does get dirty, but it's not going to be any dirtier than the stock paper filter.

3. You will only trip a code if you touch the MAF sensor with your finger or foul it by putting too much oil on your filter.

4. The only thing that resets is the clock and compass. Two very easy fixes. I installed mine without disconnecting the battery anyways.

5. "There is a gap between the inside fender wall and the so and so" I'm not even sure what that means.

6. "Etc" You've got me there.

It's a very easy install and well worth the 30 min time investment. Go have fun!!

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Man up and do the job! You will be proud of yourself once you see how easy it is. It might even give you the confidence to do a job you can really screw up on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Forgive my ignorance, I'm not a mechanic.

What does 'oil the filter' mean? The instructions say nothing about 'oiling' the filter.

Please help.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

What does 'oil the filter' mean? The instructions say nothing about 'oiling' the filter.

Please help.
The filter is pre oiled from the factory (looks dry but it's not) so DO NOT add more. Listen, I installed the TRD CAI on my rig and took my time doing it too because I like going slow and enjoy tinkering with each step (2 1/2 hours believe it or not and I'm a mechanic...lol). So my advise to you would be to make sure you all the tools necessary to do the job first before you start taking things apart.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Toyota wouldn't release it if it had that many problems, they have to stand behind them if the dealership installs them, and they had to pass CARB also, so, put thing on and get to playin' with it, you'll love it !!!!!!!!:clap::cheers:

Mark
Just a question, If the TRD passes CARB, why does it specificly say on the box that it is not intended to be installed on street vehicles or something of that nature. I removed mine for smog check then re installed it after because I didnt want the 250 dollar fine. Has TRD got the status of this item changed since last year? if so thats awesome.

to the original poster, put it on and love it. if you ave any issues, which you shouldnt, you got thousands of freinds on here to help out.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts

Please help.
you will only need to oil the filter after you clean it when it gets dirty, I do mine about every 1000 miles, or a really dusty trail run. i use the K&N recharge kit. It comes with a spray on soap and filter oil, spray the soap on, let it set, then you rinse it SOFTLY with a hose, NO DIRECT PRESSURE STREAM. when it's all clean let it sit in the sun till dry, (or you can use your dishwasher dry feature) then lastly you use the spray oil per directions in the kit. if you over oil you can have maf sensor trouble, but that's another easy fix, just try to lightly oil it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm a noob when it comes to these things, but I was able to install an AFE CAI and AFE Throttle Body Spacer last week. It took under 2 hours for me taking my time.

I would be patient and read the directions carefully. You may also search for pictures of the CAI installed for reference as well.

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Just a question, If the TRD passes CARB, why does it specificly say on the box that it is not intended to be installed on street vehicles or something of that nature. I removed mine for smog check then re installed it after because I didnt want the 250 dollar fine. Has TRD got the status of this item changed since last year? if so thats awesome.

to the original poster, put it on and love it. if you ave any issues, which you shouldnt, you got thousands of freinds on here to help out.
To my knowledge it is still not CARB approved, and is still for offroad use only, as are the aFe intakes.

If something has changed it has been very recent and I've been left out of the loop. :mecry:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got it done!

A couple of buddies helped me.

Took about an hour.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts