Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Have you ever heard this one?

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  kokopelli 
#1 ·
I am in the process of getting some bids via the internet for an FJ. I have gotten one sales person narrowed down but requested that some extra stuff be removed from the vehicle because I didn't feel it was necessary (allweather mat set, steel exhaust tip, passenger arm rest totalling $385). Small potatoes for sure but I can spend that money on something I really want. She told me that she could not delete those items because they are part of the MSRP. Sound like garbage to me. What do you think?

Phooey

#4 ·
How can you tell when a dealer is lying? Their lips are moving. They can remove anything they want. They just choose not to or not to figure out how to do it because they like cash.

I had a dealer tell me that the holdback and financial reserve were part of invoice that I HAD TO PAY.... uh yeah. I'm also a moron.

#5 ·
I've seen customers request that certain things be removed from the vehicle, and then turn around a few years later, look at their window sticker and come back to the dealership and demand the items that they were "shorted".

I stopped removing equipment for customers after that. If they wanted it removed, they could get on that as soon as they bought it.

You know how to tell a customer is lying?
Their lips are moving too. :lol:

#8 ·
Here's a crazy idea... put it in the 3000 pages of paperwork you make all of us liars sign for "our own protection". That way they can't demand anything. It might take all of 3 minutes to delete items and make a sale. Instead a dealer like that mentioned above would choose to lose a sale in tough times in the SUV market than just do such an odd thing.

#12 ·
...... Instead a dealer like that mentioned above would choose to lose a sale in tough times in the SUV market than just do such an odd thing.
The dealer mentioned above has that particular policy in place because of the actions of consumers over a 63 year history. If it ships from the factory with it, it's on the car or in the bed/cargo area of the truck if the service department removed it. They apparently have done a few things right, being the largest sales volume Toyota dealership in 37 states and usually ranking in or around the top 50 in the USA.

BTW, I got out of the car biz after the Ouray/Moab trip last year. I realized there were more important things than the end of month sales totals.

Do I miss it? Let me think about it a minute......NO. :)

You have to hump waaaaaay to hard to sell a vehicle and potentially make $75 for it. Plus....(big plus) I was always believed to be a lying, theiving, piece of crap car salesman, until I proved differently.

I think every driver should have to do a tour of duty at a car dealership as a salesperson and see what it's really like.:lol:

#18 ·
That's the deal really. I didn't want a roof rack, they took it off the price. I didn't want the plastic sun glasses on the hood, they took it off. I didn't want the carpet mats, they replaced them with the all weather. I didn't want the 17" alloys and Bridgestones, they switched then to the 16's and BFG's. They wanted to sell, I wanted to buy. A little give and take. Ron

PS: My dad sold new cars all his life... Know what you want, be realistic, wear them out and be prepared to say "deal" when they get real tired of talking to you. It took six solid hours to close the deal on my FJ. They were like "give him the wheels and get him outa here".. LOL

#9 ·
My thoughts were to sell the stuff you don't want as well. Folks buy up those passenger arm rest and the stainless exhaust tip all the time. You would not have troube selling those items at all.

Just my .02.

Kim

#10 ·
With the exeption of the Steel exhaust tip. The other two items are something that you don't realize that you actually want. The regular "carpet-mats" float around and are always crooked (even with both of the hooks installed) and there is nothing more pitaful than the look on a passengers face when you (the driver) throws down the drivers side arm rest and totally leave them hanging.
Do what you can on the price and after you put a few thousand on it. Cut the stock muffler off and install a Flowmaster for $100 + labor.

#11 ·
With the exeption of the Steel exhaust tip. The other two items are something that you don't realize that you actually want. The regular "carpet-mats" float around and are always crooked (even with both of the hooks installed) and there is nothing more pitaful than the look on a passengers face when you (the driver) throws down the drivers side arm rest and totally leave them hanging.
I agree. I would get them, and if you are sure you do NOT want them, spend 30 minutes removing them and sell them here, ebay, or craigslist. You may think you don't want that armrest, but I guarantee if you have a passenger, they'll think differently. Also, the all-weather mats are much nicer than the carpet (I know since I have the carpet ones) and seem to hold up better.

#13 ·
If you do not want the additional equipment ask the dealer to do a "locate" on their Toyota computer system to find the specific configuration you want or find adealer that will order one directly from Toyota. If you decide to order an FJ be ready to wait 3 to 4 months depending on where you are locted and the closest port of entry is.

Good luck!

#16 ·
i found one with less than I wanted and then added accordingly....they install all that stuff at port anyhow to my understanding..... Always someone that wants the passenger armrests or all-wx mats. you wont lose either way...

#17 ·
I'll buy the passenger side arm rest for a reasonable price...after you buy it... lets talk... haha

but I am serious!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.