Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have seen pictures or videos of FJs doing things such as going up dirt embankments, over rocks, doing burnouts (pavement or dirt), or just cruising the roads. How about hauling a 220lb battlebot and all the gear to make repairs?

This past weekend was Robogames 2011 in San Fransisco. I went with my college's team and our robot for the "Robot Combat" event. We arrived for check in on Thursday, settled down in our spot in the pit. Turns out Preda Raptor was just a few spots down from us. It's a mean-looking bot with a massive claw mounted in the middle.

For those of you that don't know much about the competition, the goal is to be the last bot standing, err, driving. In case both bots survive the 3 minutes, it goes to a judges decision. They award points based on damage and aggressiveness.​

Come the final day, our group was waiting for a taxi back to the hotel when I noticed Preda Raptor being loaded into none other than a trailer behind an FJ!

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
So do you work for Skynet? (Terminator movie). LOL Would love to see some videos of this I'm guessing a human controls the bots.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Nice. I agree, how about some video of that robot in action!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Pics or video x3.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
FJ&TJ Dude: You are correct. In the larger weight classes, there are only human controlled bots (heaven forbid a 200 pound bot got loose :scared:). In 1 and 3 pound classes, there are autonomous bots as well.

I'm having trouble embedding the video, but here is the link to a vid.

YouTube - Preda Raptor vs Minifridge Robogames 2011

Here's Preda Raptor chilling between bouts. I would post more pics from the different fights, but most of my pics are ~5MB and I'm feeling lazy.:jester:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
dude you got robbed! good job though, i wouldn't want to fight it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts