Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is mine, although the roofrack is unwanted. Now imagine that roof rack is gone, top painted black, headlights frame/door handles/mirrors painted black as well. No Toyota logo on the grille and all other emblems removed. Spare tire and its bracket removed. Gay-ass silver bumper extensions removed (WTH was Toyota smoking ?!?). Tailights and front parking/turn signal lights are vapor-deposited black. Mm Mm Mm Mm.

And in the future: 12+"-travel suspensions, black Teflon-coated wheels with 33" SuperSwampers, snorkel and rock rails. At least these are mods that are visible from outside. Front locker, power adder, part-time TC, front manual locking hubs are for the non-visible.

Yummy :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
I dunno he might be getting some manual locking hubs for the front manual locking hubs.

(as a side note I don't know why you'd need manual locking hubs. For one thing, if you get a manual tranny you can't have manual locking hubs since the 6spd is constant 4WD. Second, Toyota's supposedly got the best auto locking hubs in the business. It's possible he's talking about a front locker but I don't know why you'd want a manual one of those either.)

- LC

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
max oden said:
so, are you getting some manual locking hubs?
Not if there is not a way to make the TC part time. It will be pointless since the half shafts will still be turning, and may need to have the center diff locked all the time. All of the stuff I mentioned earlier are pending whether the aftermarket or Toyota will have part-time transfer case. Crossing fingers :D

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Gay-ass silver bumper extensions removed (WTH was Toyota smoking ?!?)
Not only are they "Gay-Ass" they are easily torn off! Some aspiring entrepeneur needs to make a flush (bumper colored) cap to replace the bumper extension. Anyone know how to develop plastic parts/mold? perhaps come up with a group buy/development? from someone that can produce this needed "accessory"!

T

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iCruiser said:
Not only are they "Gay-Ass" they are easily torn off! Some aspiring entrepeneur needs to make a flush (bumper colored) cap to replace the bumper extension. Anyone know how to develop plastic parts/mold? perhaps come up with a group buy/development? from someone that can produce this needed "accessory"!

T
Wonder if a low-profile air duct can fit in the opening. Connect it with flexible hose to the front caliper/center of wheel hub to cool off the brake. Doesn't hurt to get cooling air to the brakes on a 2-metric-ton vehicle.

My ghetto-cheap/creative mind has an idea of strategically-trimmed Mobil1 motor oil quart bottle strategically-positioned to the opening to direct the air :D A 1" or 1.5" hose connected to the bottle neck runs off to the caliper. At least when it got ripped off while playing, it can be cheaply replaced.

Oh well.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
so essentially you want to remove any reminder that this is a retro-vehicle? It kinda seems like you want to kill the idea behind the vehicle.....and make it a Hummer

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
in the future on mine: good ole american steel bumpers......ill sell that plastic crap on ebay to someone who had their bumper fall off....

those black steelies look friggin cool on the black FJ - all business. my combon is base voodoo blue.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
pos vett the police officer that will look like a mountain sherrif truck with what you got planned :D

my colors will be titanium silver, and i will have a truck in car sattilite tv with dvd player and high speed internet with a 7 in screen in the dash believe me they make em

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bostonian1976 said:
so essentially you want to remove any reminder that this is a retro-vehicle? It kinda seems like you want to kill the idea behind the vehicle.....and make it a Hummer
A Hummer ? No, a hummer is a bad benchmark to base the styling of a vehicle. Actually, powertrain-wise, the part-time TC will make it un-Hummer-like, H1s come with full-time 4WD in case you didn't know :)

My appearance little mods are just to personalize it. None of my vehicles look stock, either small or big, there is always a mod. Besides, the original FJ-40 doesn't even have two-tone bumpers, the door handles are chrome. It maybe called a retro, but it only has remnants of the original FJ40. Retro or not, there will be customizations.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
caliFJ said:
in the future on mine: good ole american steel bumpers......ill sell that plastic crap on ebay to someone who had their bumper fall off....
Actually, steel bumpers will look better. However, it's not without penalty. I think what I will try to do is to keep the plastic bumper somehow to keep adding weight.

caliFJ said:
those black steelies look friggin cool on the black FJ - all business. my combon is base voodoo blue.....
Yes, that's what I want to achieve. It looks like a "work truck", all business.

OK, enough about my "concept". Let me see pics of what your initial FJ Cruiser looks like and what you want it to look like or how you want it modified in its future.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Right on to POS VETT and iCruiser! I'm hoping someone manufactures aftermarket urethane bumper covers (front & rear) immediately!! If not, I'm definitely investigating priming and painting the gaudy, tacky "brushed steel" bumpers sections to flat black to match the rest of the bumper and lower panels. Do you think removing those silver bumper corners will interfere with function of airbag sensors? I also always strip off all chrome badging and "designer logos" to create a more integrated, modern, leaner aesthetic versus busy, cluttered and bling-bling.
All black for me too, except I'll leave the roof stock white to reflect the intense heat in Florida. I think the wheel / tire combo will really make the most difference in mission statement and appearance of an FJC. I'm considering 305/60x18s (Toyo ats) or 285/60x18s (Nitto Terra Grapplers) with 9.0" rims IF they'll fit with stock suspension. Both sizes are very close to stock tire diameter so electronic tranny sensors and odometer will not need a $400.00 hypertech reprogrammer.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I dig this mission statement:

Thanks to Percy's e-aftermarket mods.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
See above, that's it baby.... but I really would love to add the Donohoe racing front end and the OME rear end.... the blue one was BADASS, but I still want yellow and after seeing granger's option prices... I'm skippin' the wind deflector and roof lights. I'll get something else later and save myself a grand!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Come on ARB, get with it... we need that bumper ready in about a month!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oceansports said:
Right on to POS VETT and iCruiser! I'm hoping someone manufactures aftermarket urethane bumper covers (front & rear) immediately!!
I would like to see that happening, although I'm skeptic. Usually the aftermarket will have steel bumpers with a provision for a winch. I'll probably go with, dare I say, an aluminum bumper if such thing will exist (unlikely) in the future. The construction of bumpers in today's vehicle is quite complex, with the actual bumper is still steel/metal but buried deep in styrofoam/other impact absorbing material/polyurethane cover.

I can also imagine that aftermarket polyurethane bumper covers will be priced quite high. The cost required to manufacture is quite stellar.

oceansports said:
If not, I'm definately investigating priming and painting the gaudy, tacky "brushed steel" bumpers sections to flat black to match the rest of the bumper and lower panels. Do you think removing those silver bumper corners will interfere with function of airbag sensors? I also always strip off all chrome badging and "designer logos" to create a more integrated, modern, leaner aesthetic versus busy, cluttered and bling-bling.
All black for me too, except I'll leave the roof stock white to reflect the intense heat in Florida.
Painting them flat black is probably the easiest/cheapest way to achieve the result. I don't know, I won't hesitate taking off those extensions. I think one of the autoshow picture has one of the front bumper extensions off. I read something about it being attached with tabs of some sort. I doubt that removing them will affect airbags operation. AFAIK, most cars have their airbag sensors rather hidden behind a bumper structure, MAYBE in order to avoid getting them accidentally set off.

oceansports said:
I think the wheel / tire combo will really make the most difference in mission statement and appearance of an FJC. I'm considering 305/60x18s (Toyo ats) or 285/60x18s (Nitto Terra Grapplers) with 9.0" rims IF they'll fit with stock suspension. Both sizes are very close to stock tire diameter so electronic tranny sensors and odometer will not need a $400.00 hypertech reprogrammer.
That will be interesting if the speedometer can be adjusted using a hypertech programmer. Toyota usually uses encoded/encrypted programming and the ECU is not that easily programmable as American-branded car. I know that my Z06 PCM is so easy to reprogram with $500 worth of hardware (EFI Live, HP Tuner, etc.).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I found the wheel I want on it :) It's made by ARE, called Mojave Teflon. Yes, the dark color is from teflon coating.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
POS VETT said:
I think I found the wheel I want on it :) It's made by ARE, called Mojave Teflon. Yes, the dark color is from teflon coating.

And the great part eggs dont stick and easy clean up!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts