Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked around, but wanted to double check and see if anyone has experience with the Sylvania Super White bulb? I'm looking to get something close to a xenon match, but not sure if the Super White is like that? Any one know of these (12V 60/55W HB2 Super White T-5 P43T-38 DOT 9003SWTX - 9000 Series Auto Lamps) I know I know, why do I want these, I want something bright and xenon look! I was using Hoen bulbs before, best bulb I've ever used by the way, but they don't make a H4 yet.

BTW, going on a brand new 2011, I'm sure they are the same bulbs as 2007+

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Subscribed! I wouldn't mind replacing the bulbs with something brighter. Not necessarily xenon look, just brighter.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i have piaa xtreme white bulbs 40 bucks from purefjcruiser.com theyre pretty good, much better than stock
I've looked around, but wanted to double check and see if anyone has experience with the Sylvania Super White bulb? I'm looking to get something close to a xenon match, but not sure if the Super White is like that? Any one know of these (12V 60/55W HB2 Super White T-5 P43T-38 DOT 9003SWTX - 9000 Series Auto Lamps) I know I know, why do I want these, I want something bright and xenon look! I was using Hoen bulbs before, best bulb I've ever used by the way, but they don't make a H4 yet.

BTW, going on a brand new 2011, I'm sure they are the same bulbs as 2007+

Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm not going with PIAA, their bulbs for that matter are worthless. Trying to find something that will last long, good lighting and somewhat xenon/superwhite type. I don't want to do a converstion at this time, maybe down the road..

PanoFj, did you notice more whiteness to the extreme power bulbs. Anyone know or using the SliverStars? I think they are more xenon/white..

·
Registered
636 Posts
I use the Silverstars in our 2000 Honda Odyssey. The are a nice, clean, bright white. They illuminate much better than the stock bulbs; I can't say how they compare to other after market bulbs as they are all I've used. They never last more than a year before blowing, but I use the headlights as driving lights, a lot more than the typical consumer.

I'm going to go read that bulb comparison thread!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not going with PIAA, their bulbs for that matter are worthless. Trying to find something that will last long, good lighting and somewhat xenon/superwhite type. I don't want to do a converstion at this time, maybe down the road..

PanoFj, did you notice more whiteness to the extreme power bulbs. Anyone know or using the SliverStars? I think they are more xenon/white..
I personally think the PIAA bulbs are junk too. I've bought and tried so many different HID look-a-like bulbs over the years and PIAA's would burn out after 6 months tops. This was over 5 years ago so maybe they are better now but i wouldn't bother with any blue tinted bulbs unless you want just looks and less light output.

Yes, the phillips xtreme bulbs were whiter and the light output was noticeably better then stock. There's also the Osram Nightbreakers but one blew out on my previous car after 7 weeks. Good light output but from what i had read online people weren't happy with life span. Narva RangePower bulbs i've heard good things about also.

I just came across this bulb: <b><font color="green">Osram Rallye 70/65w +50 H4 bulb</b></font> but the wattage is slightly higher then stock. It's only 10w more so it should be fine..i dont think it should affect the wiring.

Lots of options:
H4 - HB2 - 9003 bulbs

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't understand, why not spend an extra 40 bucks to go HID? Especially when you will have to replace most of these yearly.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So I guess, I've narrowed it down to the following Bulbs, if I go this route

Philips 9003 X-treme Power Headlight Bulb

Sylvania 9003ST BP Twin SilverStar High Performance Halogen Headlight

Second option would be the HID conversion kit:

http://www.automotivelightingusa.co...h-intensity-discharge-hid-conversion-kit.html

or

http://www.dashzracing.com/Lighting...enon-HID-Kit-for-Headlights-p8257743-1-3.html

Would I have to replace the existing bulb housing based off heat? I hear they may not be 50 state legal either?

Anyone running above kits? Any feedback?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts