Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought my FJ in for the Check Engine Light. Got the unfortunate call that it has a blown head gasket. Has anyone changed it themselves and what's the feasibility of doing it? I have the service manual so I know the step by step directions I just don't know if I can do it on my own. Anyone have any insight on this?

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
I'd be asking some questions to confirm this diagnosis.
1) What was the code?
2) How does it cause the check engine light to illuminate?
3) What caused the head gasket to go bad?
4) How did you confirm it is the head gasket?
You can add plenty more as follow ups to these but that's a good start.
You could also supply some more info here so we as a group can maybe give you better advice. (year, mileage, service history, etc...)
The only reason you should do this is because this is a very labor intensive, major engine repair that's going to be very expensive and should only be done by someone with good mechanical knowledge and ability. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be asking some questions to confirm this diagnosis.
1) What was the code?
2) How does it cause the check engine light to illuminate?
3) What caused the head gasket to go bad?
4) How did you confirm it is the head gasket?
You can add plenty more as follow ups to these but that's a good start.
You could also supply some more info here so we as a group can maybe give you better advice. (year, mileage, service history, etc...)
The only reason you should do this is because this is a very labor intensive, major engine repair that's going to be very expensive and should only be done by someone with good mechanical knowledge and ability. Good luck and keep us posted.

It came back as a Cylinder 3 Misfire and had a rough idle. This prompted me to change all the spark plugs and swap that coil with different one. The code still came back as cylinder 3. Some of the plugs where pretty dirty with oil when I pilled them. But that was basically has far as my diagnostic skills could take me so I brought it to the shop. They said that with their scope they could see coolant in the cylinder and a coolant pressure test was positive for a leak. It's a 2007 2WD and only has 90,000 miles on it. What really drives me nuts is that a just bought it from Carmax 3 months ago!!!

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Wow. Doesn't Carmax have some sort of warranty? You may also want to check your insurance policy because some folks here have been able to turn these types of repairs in to their insurance.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
So, the shop that checked it, tested the coolant and found it contaminated with exhaust gas and the plug from that cylinder was very, very clean? Did you check to see if you are leaking coolant into the oil as well?
I would be very adamant about the root cause of the problem, before spending any money for that extensive of a repair. If the diagnosis is correct and depending on your mileage, you may want to consider doing both sides, including re-grinding the valves & seats, timing chains, tensioners, guides, water pump, and related pulleys and tensioners for the belt as well. If it were me and the mileage was high, I'd replace the rings, rod bearings and hone the cylinder walls. That's just me. GL

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'd do a cylinder leak down test

1 - 6 of 6 Posts