Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, so here's the deal:

About a month ago I purchased and installed this head unit for my 2009 FJ after watching the very helpful video from LiL13izzy7 [see a picture of my install below]. Everything was great and it was working fine for about a couple weeks, a huge improvement over the OEM unit. Then the first issue started. The issue was occasionally the unit would get stuck in what I can only describe as a boot loop. It'd fire up with the opening unit screen and then get stuck there. Thankfully, this problem was easily mitigated by using the little reset button/hole on the left of the radio, once I would hit that the Toyota logo would appear and it would boot so I never thought anything of it. Fast forward to last week where all of a sudden it just died. Went totally black and now will not start. The lower portion, which is just the factory AC controls still work thankfully. Here are the troubleshooting steps I've taken so far.

• Removed/replaced the head unit to ensure a power cycle. No dice.
  • Replaced the 15amp fuse in the back of the unit, as well as checked the ones in the fuse box, all seem good.
  • Plugged the OEM unit back in to make sure it's getting power, it is, that's set.
  • Removed the wheel key wires and tried to power it on without them (another user on this forum head some problem with the wheel key wires that fixed it) also no dice.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to where I go from here, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
this is one of the things that has held me back from buying those no-name head units, even though the huge screen size is awesome - how long will it last and who will provide after sale service when/if it craps out?

If only a real company, like Kenwood, or Pioneer, or Alpine would come out with one like it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Return the unit, hopefully it's just a software problem and the unit can be repaired via JTAG fix.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I agree with both replies. I’d try to get a refund or exchange. Looking at the terms though, it says you only had a 14 day return period. And you mentioned it’s been a month. The warranty is 1yr which is good, but it looks like it might be at your expense to send it back to Sydney, Australia. Hopefully the seller can put you in contact with the manufacturer, and it’s something easily troubleshot. But even that could be difficult as it’s in Australia, so you can’t just easily pick up the phone and call them. So email or chat if it’s available are going to be your best options.
This is where more mainstream brands or US based resellers like Crutchfield/BestBuy win out. As they’re easy to reach, do returns/exchanges or get troubleshooting help.
But if you’re getting power to everything else, and the stock unit works without any issues, it’s most likely the new radio itself. You can also recheck your wiring harness, just to make sure none of the wires have came loose. Occasionally when using crimps to connect aftermarket stereos, the crimp can cut the wire if too much pressure is applied. And the connection can be broken inside the crimp itself. Check the power, ground and remote on the aftermarket harness, (should be the red, black and yellow). If none of those are broken or loose, and you’ve checked everything else you’ve mentioned I can’t think of any other reason you wouldn’t be getting power.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
this is one of the things that has held me back from buying those no-name head units, even though the huge screen size is awesome - how long will it last and who will provide after sale service when/if it craps out?

If only a real company, like Kenwood, or Pioneer, or Alpine would come out with one like it.
I went through 3 Pioneers before I got a good one that would make it through winter. The features that I need on them are second to none so just had to eat it. (Network mode)

The 12v sector is so dead with the OEM stuff being so good now. But yeah, there's no way I would expect these Android decks to hold up. Maybe would bite if it was $250 but not $450. You're better off pairing a cheap tablet to a good Bluetooth deck if you want the big screen action.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Locate the original manufacturer's site. Download the original firmware files and search for any updates for your head unit. . If this is similar to all the other Chinese units, there should be a USB port on the back. Once you're able to download the original or updated files, unzip the files to a USB stick. After plugging it into the rear port, it might unlock/ force initiate a boot loader

Something I read on another forum trying to connect a USB keyboard
"
Android 6 to enter emergency mode (stuck in the boot animation) by connecting the USB keyboard and pressing the "i" key several times while holding down Alt + Print Screen.
After several presses of the "i" button, the device started in the restore mode. Use the arrow keys to go to Clear data / Restore factory settings and Enter to select. I think it will help with many devices with a USB port."

·
Registered
86 Posts
SMH....

I ordered one of these from this guy back on April 29th. I have been back and forth with the seller replacing parts and canbus and IT STILL DOESN'T WORK. No audio.
Anybody reading this that was thinking to buy one DON'T PLEASE DON'T.

The unit is BEAUTIFUL but the hassle is not worth it at all.
I went on a road trip with the non working audio and noticed the video started cutting out on me too... SMH.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So quick update. The seller sent me a PX5 replacement chip and it finally arrived today. It was a bit of a pain to replace on the unit (had to resodder the GPS antenna hookup, pull out a bunch of screws etc. etc. However... it actually did fix the problem. Unit booted up just fine with none of the original boot problems the other one had and all seems well. Seller did take awhile and it took some basic electronics knowledge on my end but it's fixed now. Hopefully I won't have to replace it again, of that happens I'm just going to put a regular double dinn touchscreen unit in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was FINALLY able to troubleshoot my headunit. I previously had a Sony headunit that worked fine. So I decided to splice the harness I used with the sony with the harness that was sent with this unit (I had one additional harness, because the seller sent a second one when the first one didn't work, but the second one didn't work either). Halfway through the splice I figured out the amp turn-on lead wasn't going to the correct location. I respliced the lead on an original harness and voila, it worked! With that behind me, I hooked up the GPS, rear camera, microphone, etc. and I was in business. I loaded the agama launcher app and did A LOT of configurations with it, and everything now works fine. The screen hasn't shut off again either.

My only saving grace through all of this is that I haven't driven the FJ much at all since covid started. My wife also received a company car a few months ago that we are both able to drive, so that's been getting a lion's share of driving.

If these were available stateside from a reputable dealer, I would HIGHLY recommend it. If you are EXTREMELY patient, I would recommend it. Extremely nice upgrade to the FJ, but at a considerable cost of time and patience.

So quick update. The seller sent me a PX5 replacement chip and it finally arrived today. It was a bit of a pain to replace on the unit (had to resodder the GPS antenna hookup, pull out a bunch of screws etc. etc. However... it actually did fix the problem. Unit booted up just fine with none of the original boot problems the other one had and all seems well. Seller did take awhile and it took some basic electronics knowledge on my end but it's fixed now. Hopefully I won't have to replace it again, of that happens I'm just going to put a regular double dinn touchscreen unit in it.
So glad you were able to fix it. I hope they gave some fairly thorough directions on the fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So glad you were able to fix it. I hope they gave some fairly thorough directions on the fix.
Hahahahaha directions? Nope 0 directions. Just had to use my electronics know how to find the right board under the other ones and swap out the right component. It would be nice if there was a reputable US based dealer, totally agree. Sounds like a pain with your harness but sounds like you got it straightened out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts