Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,

I’m waiting for the new 4:56 gears to arrive and thinking about upgrading my Fj headers, any suggestions? Is it worth it? My Fj es 2007 with 154,456k with no issues at all so I really don’t want to have any check engine light now.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
I know man, but I got her some bigger wheel, tires and 3” Old man EMU BP 51 coilovers and I’m starting to feel the fj a bit slow. Looking for some better performance. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
do some reading here:

I think you will get more bang for the buck than headers. Frankly this seems to be the first real breakthrough on improving performance...other than adding supercharger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do some reading here:

I think you will get more bang for the buck than headers. Frankly this seems to be the first real breakthrough on improving performance...other than adding supercharger.

Super interesting

·
Registered
412 Posts
My biggest bitch, whether in low or high, is the geriatric throttle response. I am used to it, but that doesn't mean I like it. With less farm work for HelTeef and more offroading for fun and scenery, I plan on getting a Pedal Commander. I have an '07, so while the Raptor Flash sounds enticing, the cost is likely more than I can float just now.

Convince me otherwise?

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
I just Bought a set of URD Spec U headers So i will report my impression after i get them and install them . From Talking to them though they say that the URD headers give a very noticeable Low end gain . The cost is close to the Raptor Tune . but i bet with a Raptor it will really wake up

·
Premium Member
10,853 Posts
My biggest bitch, whether in low or high, is the geriatric throttle response. I am used to it, but that doesn't mean I like it. With less farm work for HelTeef and more offroading for fun and scenery, I plan on getting a Pedal Commander. I have an '07, so while the Raptor Flash sounds enticing, the cost is likely more than I can float just now.

Convince me otherwise?
G'Day LT,
Its apples n oranges to try to compare a Pedal commander to a tune.
The PC, alters the wire position of the throttle to open it earlier and give the impression of more power n speed..thats all..it sort of revs the engine quicker ...type thing....
The RT, changes everything from air /fuel mix, throttle / timing - etc...and all the transmission shift points and lock up points... the biggest - most noticeable difference is way it holds gear longer n stronger and better, especially with the lockup and acceleration ...and the RT actually produces more power from the 1GR, not just a different throttle position using the same power.... its closer to s/c power ....

Cheers
Baz
legacy :blueblob:

·
Registered
743 Posts
The stock manifolds are a total joke but if you're going to bother doing the headers you should definitely do the Y pipe as well. You're looking at a good chunk of money for what will be a negligible gain. You would get more bang for your buck with the tune, or even better saving that for a supercharger.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
The stock manifolds are a total joke but if you're going to bother doing the headers you should definitely do the Y pipe as well. You're looking at a good chunk of money for what will be a negligible gain. You would get more bang for your buck with the tune, or even better saving that for a supercharger.

Have you run the URD spec u headers ?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Arent the URD spec u headers non emissions compliant? e.g. you cant or wont pass emissions inspections anywhere they are in place. Firemedic831...dont you guys have emissions regs in Oregon?

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Arent the URD spec u headers non emissions compliant? e.g. you cant or wont pass emissions inspections anywhere they are in place. Firemedic831...dont you guys have emissions regs in Oregon?
Only in some areas . depends what city you live in . With the URD you do lose the front cats .

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
The RT guys said that headers make little to no difference to power/torque with their tune. A bigger improvement is from a high flow airbox (airaid) - actually the peak power with the airaid is the same as the raptor, but the raptor adds torque all the way through.
So... if you want bang for your buck and don't want CEL/emissions issues, Don't bother with headers (but they sound awesome, so there's that) and go for an airaid and Raptor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts