Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2014 Fj Cruiser Ultimate Edition - Heritage Blue
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all happy Friday Jr. I’m looking into getting some new headers and I’ve been looking at URD and of course good old Doug Thorley. I was just reading and I found a thread in here that mentioned some headers not fitting with skid plates, mentioned were ricochet skid plates which I don’t have but I wasn’t sure if it applied to others. I have a TRD skid plate and I wanted to see if anyone knew which headers would fit with it or if any of them would interfere? Thanks!

· Registered
16 Posts
Hey all happy Friday Jr. I’m looking into getting some new headers and I’ve been looking at URD and of course good old Doug Thorley. I was just reading and I found a thread in here that mentioned some headers not fitting with skid plates, mentioned were ricochet skid plates which I don’t have but I wasn’t sure if it applied to others. I have a TRD skid plate and I wanted to see if anyone knew which headers would fit with it or if any of them would interfere? Thanks!
I put URD headers on my 2007, they're a pain in the ass to put in you have to lift the engine. I had it on a lift and put ply wood under it, dropped it down, then I was able to put them in but it took a few hours for sure. Worth the time they don't interfere with anything else but I'm guessing you already know they include a cat delete for the upper cats so you have to get it with the O2 simulator. I just finished the whole spec U exhuast and headers a few months ago and was looking to get the supercharger once I started making good money in a few months but sadly I'm moving down to socal and it won't be legal anymore so I have to sell😭

· Registered
16 Posts
I put URD headers on my 2007, they're a pain in the ass to put in you have to lift the engine. I had it on a lift and put ply wood under it, dropped it down, then I was able to put them in but it took a few hours for sure. Worth the time they don't interfere with anything else but I'm guessing you already know they include a cat delete for the upper cats so you have to get it with the O2 simulator. I just finished the whole spec U exhuast and headers a few months ago and was looking to get the supercharger once I started making good money in a few months but sadly I'm moving down to socal and it won't be legal anymore so I have to sell😭
Also I live in snohomish. But forgot to say the URD headers are worth it for big power gains and amazing sound improvement.

· Premium Member
2014 FJ Cruiser
96 Posts
I did Doug Thorleys on mine a few years ago. Getting them on was a pain, but I was able to do it w/o removing the engine or anything, it just took forever. I tried the O2 simulator from URD but it didn't really work for it, just threw different codes. Also tried out O2 elbow spacers, which worked ok for a while. But in the end I had a custom y-pipe made that moved the rear sensor bungs aft of the cats (went with magnaflow). Even after that I had some issues with codes - which ended up being caused by a decimated gasket between the headers and y-pipe. So my recommendation on that is go with OEM-style gaskets, not the crappy ones the headers may come with.

· Registered
16 Posts
I did Doug Thorleys on mine a few years ago. Getting them on was a pain, but I was able to do it w/o removing the engine or anything, it just took forever. I tried the O2 simulator from URD but it didn't really work for it, just threw different codes. Also tried out O2 elbow spacers, which worked ok for a while. But in the end I had a custom y-pipe made that moved the rear sensor bungs aft of the cats (went with magnaflow). Even after that I had some issues with codes - which ended up being caused by a decimated gasket between the headers and y-pipe. So my recommendation on that is go with OEM-style gaskets, not the crappy ones the headers may come with.
I had problems with the URD O2 simulator when I put the headers in every once in a while it would throw a code. Once I got the URD y-pipe there's no lag, sounds better, and never gives me a code. I agree with the gaskets the oem ones are definitely going to last you longer

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also I live in snohomish. But forgot to say the URD headers are worth it for big power gains and amazing sound improvement.
Hey were practically neighbors, I'm in Everett. But yeah I was thinking of going with URD. The only problem is if I get a Y pipe I have to remove the cats, which as we all know is illegal. Correct me if im wrong but you do need a y pipe to go with your headers and a y pipe eliminates the rear cats correct? Right now I have a TRD CAI and a Borla XR-1 muffler installed so I assume those would work fine with headers?

· Registered
16 Posts
Hey were practically neighbors, I'm in Everett. But yeah I was thinking of going with URD. The only problem is if I get a Y pipe I have to remove the cats, which as we all know is illegal. Correct me if im wrong but you do need a y pipe to go with your headers and a y pipe eliminates the rear cats correct? Right now I have a TRD CAI and a Borla XR-1 muffler installed so I assume those would work fine with headers?
Awesome! Yeah I have no cats right now the Y-pipe takes the rears out. It is illegal, but with no emissions testing in WA anymore, I've never been questioned about it. That borla muffler is what I almost got before I found URD, and that should work with the URD headers, they eliminate the upper cats and bolt right onto the Y-pipe. I might have come off wrong before tho, I didn't have to take out my engine I just had to push it up a little on the driver side to squeeze the headers in just to clarify.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome! Yeah I have no cats right now the Y-pipe takes the rears out. It is illegal, but with no emissions testing in WA anymore, I've never been questioned about it. That borla muffler is what I almost got before I found URD, and that should work with the URD headers, they eliminate the upper cats and bolt right onto the Y-pipe. I might have come off wrong before tho, I didn't have to take out my engine I just had to push it up a little on the driver side to squeeze the headers in just to clarify.
No worries I knew what you meant before. I'll probably end up getting the Y pipe first then the headers as soon as I have money to spend on those. Do you have a sound clip or video? maybe with some revving and a pull?🧐

· Registered
16 Posts
No worries I knew what you meant before. I'll probably end up getting the Y pipe first then the headers as soon as I have money to spend on those. Do you have a sound clip or video? maybe with some revving and a pull?🧐
Not a bad plan and absolutely I can only find one right now but especially before I sell it I'll be taking videos and pics to remind me to get another one some day😔

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So everywhere I have looked it says that any of these headers fit the 2010-2012 models but not the 2013-2014. Are there any models that fit the 2014 FJ?
I found these from URD URD Spec-U LT Headers for 2013+ FJ Cruiser and 4Runner V6 but I'm not sure what this means: if you have a non-USDM FJ or 4Runner and it does not have the cold start air injection system, these headers would be correct for your vehicle. When you click on it it sends you to other headers but I assume USDM means U.S. Domestic Market but I don't know.

· Registered
1,321 Posts
I have the Ricochet skids and there is no issue with the URD headers clearing them.

As said before the URD's are difficult to install. I didn't have to lift the engine to get them in. I only had to disconnect the steering shaft, and used a stud puller to remove the rear-most manifold studs on the head so they can slip on. (reinstall them later) I think it took me around 10hrs to do the install. The real fun part is tightening the nuts, and you will need to re-check them a couple times because they will come loose. I highly recommend getting some long flex-head, ratcheting box end wrenches, and universal joint style flex sockets before even attempting to do the install. Use new OEM gaskets, and you need to apply high-temp RTV the gaskets to ensure a good seal.

Regarding the Y pipe.. I don't think it really matters which one you use. If you delete the secondary cats along with the headers you are looking at a significant sound increase, and it's not a good sound. As you can hear in the clips above anything above 1/2 throttle and you will get that farty raspy sound along with a bunch of drone unless you have the cats or a substantial muffler in place. Maybe you're ok with this? I tried 3 muffler setups before I got the sound to what I would consider an acceptable level/tone. It's still aggressive sounding but without a lot of the rasp & grossness. I settled on the following: URD headers > DT Y-pipe > Large Vibrant resonator > Flowmaster Super 50 > Small Vibrant resonator > Tail pipe.

· Registered
16 Posts
Wow, from those videos, it sounds not like a truck, but like a souped up Honda Civic.
Does it become tiresome on a long, cross country road trip, or is all that extra noise only present at high RPMs?

Thanks for posting those.
The noise is mostly at low RPM so highway driving really isn't bad, and it's not really that raspy because of the magnaflow muffler I put on it. I do think I have an exhaust leak somewhere tho that I'm going to look into this week that causes it to sound like it has a rattle when I really get on it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.