Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
INTRO:

Here in Puerto Rico cars dont need headlamp wipers or washers since we dont have snow/ice down here. However they are very useful if you are offroading and you get the headlamps muddy or dusty.
I like the way these washers look bulging over the bumper. I've installed them on a Daihatsu Rocky I used to have, also to a Suzuki Sidekick I currently have and now the turn goes to the FJ.
I read some posts here about it but everybody are too busy out there doing other mods.

Well, here I Go....

Doing this I spent around $140 + tax, so maybe you wont get over that.

****THIS IS A "DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK" MOD AND I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGES YOU DO TO YOUR fj****

COMPONENTS:

- 2 Mitsubishi Montero '95 headlamp washers $26.00ea with the rubber grommet $2.00ea that goes between the nozzle and the bumper. ( You can also use the washer nozzles from Land Rover $27.00ea.)

- 1 "T" check valve from Mitsubishi Montero $14.00

- 10ft of black vinyl hose 1/2 outside diameter X 3/8 inside diameter from the Home Depot $2.75 (they are at the plumbing aisle).

- Universal Windshield washer reservoir kit (from Autozone) pt#9-400 $39.99
(you can choose by not buying the reservoir and use the same reservoir from th FJ.

- Washer pump (from AutoZone pt# 5-741) $19.99. I noticed that the pump that came with the reservoit tank wasn't powerful enough.

The pump that came with the reservoir tank is not going to be used. With a step bit, drill a hole to the tank to insert the new pump. Be sure the hole wont get bigger than the grommet from the pump. Attach the pump to the reservoir.

Now to the bumper part.
You dont need to remove the bumper fascia nor the brushgard. Just unscrew the bumper from the fender area (2) and from the lower bumper (3) at each side.

Mark with a pencil where you want to drill the bumper. There's nothing behind, so dont worry. Use a step drill.

As you see here, I used a washer and a hose crimp to hold the nozzle and not to be pulled out from the bumper.

This is how it looks from behind the bumper.

Insert the hose to each nozzles and connects the to the "T" check valve.

A video testing the washers before I screw back the bumper.

And now the final work.

I used a relay to turn on the headlamps washers only when the parking lights and hadlights are on and I pull the windshield washer switch from the steering wheel.

Some photos from daylight and different angles.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Excellent job! Nice write-up and thanks for sharing.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Very nice work

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Oh wow, nice! Sure beats running out and wiping them down. Nice one.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thats some out of the box thinking! Good thinking! Great mod.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Very nice!!! Now just go one more step and add the wipers and you're golden!! :lol:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Love it. Good job.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Fantastic mod. I'll definitely be doing this. I regularly have mud, bugs and all manner of other stuff on the lenses and am constantly cleaning them. I've thought they would be nice but never even thought of it as a DIY project.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
169 Posts
this is an awesome write up!!!!!!!

since you still have a pump thats not in use . You should hook it up to another squirter pointed to the side for : people on the sidewalk, people that drive with their window open, and people with black cars. hahaha j/k

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all of you for the compliments. I wanted to do this on my FJ since I've done it before and liked how it looks, also because I want to spread one more Mod for all that are available made from scratch.

I also did it last year on my Suzuki Sidekick

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Very Impressive!!!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts