Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this nuisance issue that is bugging the tar out of me. Toyota Service says "nothing is wrong" except for the fact that I have to replace a head light and mirror light for 3 of my vehicles at LEAST once a month. This week I replaced 3 in the three that keep giving me this problem.

I have about 12 extra bulbs that I keep on hand in case one goes out while my vehicles are deployed. Irritating.

I took all three of them into the dealer at the same time with the same problem and NO ONE has a clue... and now they won't honor the warranty on it. They call it "excessive Wear and Tear". We are a security company...not like we are patrolling MOAB... know what I mean?

Any help is immensely appreciated!

Thanks

Bill

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
Are you replacing them with aftermarket bulbss?

My lights have been on since day one, never turn off and never run on DLR's. After about 4 years the drivers side finally burned out. I replaced them aftermarket bulbs, although they are brighter they do not last nearly as long. I am on my 3rd set in less than a year. Once these burn out I am going to back to factory bulbs. $60 every 3 months for bulbs is a little steep for me.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I agree, most aftermarket bulbs don't last as long, especially if they are marketed as "brighter"! the brighter they are the shorter the life, but the cheap-o dim bulbs normally last longer. There is a chart on the back of most Daystar lights that shows this.

But your problem is way to frequent! How often do your tucks run the Aftermarket lights you put on? and are they completely individual from the FJs harness? IE: do they have their own switches, relays, and fuses?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys,

I'm not running anything aftermarket on my vehicles. The headlights are the regular, bulbs, 9003 I think.

Nothing fancy, nothing off road, etc.

At first i thought it was a load problem that my light bars for the security stuff is making them pop... But that stuff draws less than 2 amps total when everything is on.

No idea....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... Well... you're right.... :cheers: I was talking about the headlights. Sorry.

They are wired through a relay that is connected to the battery directly.

Thanks for your hel BTW...

·
Registered
900 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi--

As soon as we realized there was an issue, I made sure I wasn't touching the bulbs... going as far as to handle them with gloves on.

The actual filament in the bulb is breaking... but I am not sure why. Hope that helps.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
So, I put an ARB bumper on my 08. It had the turn/marker lights built in. These bulbs would burn out every month (one side or the other). We finally traced the issue to bad connectors. I have not had one failure since we replaced the connectors (both sides). These were ARB not Toyota parts, but just a thought. My first thought on your issue was something was wired into the harness for your security equipment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Everyone...

Since I've posted, I've lost two more bulbs and ALL of my mirror lights are out...:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I read that other posting about the issue... perhaps the problem lies with the cheap bulbs AND the day time running lights AND the fact we just drive a crap-load. Toyota is no help, that is for sure. I took all the vehicles in for servicing and the maintenance director said, "Hmmm, it's not supposed to do that." Then walked off. :flame:

Anyway, I am still puzzled, but just wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues.

Cheers

B

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone...

Since I've posted, I've lost two more bulbs and ALL of my mirror lights are out...:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I read that other posting about the issue... perhaps the problem lies with the cheap bulbs AND the day time running lights AND the fact we just drive a crap-load. Toyota is no help, that is for sure. I took all the vehicles in for servicing and the maintenance director said, "Hmmm, it's not supposed to do that." Then walked off. :flame:

Anyway, I am still puzzled, but just wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues.

Cheers

B
I'm having the same trouble with mine :( 2007 FJ

·
Registered
125 Posts
Had this happened on my Nissan truck ,a mechanic checked the relay and cleaned the ground wire,that did it!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Three things will accelerate the failure of the filament in an incandescent light bulb:
1. Overvoltage
2. Inrush current
3. Mechanical vibration

For every few tenths of a volt above the bulb's rated operating voltage, the bulb's life is significantly reduced. Make sure that all connections between alternator and battery are bright, clean, and tight. If there's any visible corrosion on the exterior of any connection, unbolt it and clean all surfaces. Remove the battery clamps and clean the battery posts and the clamps. The battery helps stabilize the alternator output voltage, and any high resistance connections can result in sags and surges in system voltage as engine RPM rises and falls.

Some high-end multimeters (some Flukes) have a "record" function that can log min or max voltages. If you've got one, you can monitor system voltage at a bulb socket and see what the peak voltage is the bulb is seeing over some period of time

The electrical resistance of a cold filament is much lower than a hot filament. Every time power is applied to a bulb, there is a current surge that's much higher than the normal "operating" current. Any kind of an intermittent connection in a bulb's supply voltage can dramatically shorten the bulb's life..

For the intermittent connection/inrush current problem, inspect every connection in the bulb circuit. De-mate every connector and make sure the pins are clean and bright, and not deformed in any way. Check each bulb socket and connector for corrosion, and make sure that there is a firm mechanical connection between the bulb terminals and the bulb's socket or connector.

There's not much you can do about vibration unless there's something that's causing an abnormal vibration that's "buzzing" the bulb filaments. It's hard to imagine an engine vibration that's severe enough to get transmitted into the chassis and then into the bulbs.

On the failed bulbs, is the break in the filament typically in the center of the filament , or right where it's crimped into the lead-in wires? (Magnifying glass probably needed.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm having an issue that is close in nature... it appears that the mirror lights are connected to the opposite headlight, my mirror light was out and so was the opposite head light, i flipped the mirror light bulb and they both turned on.... WTF!?!?! now the mirror light is working but the headlight on the right is not and i checked the bulb on the headlight and all is good... still no light.... please someone tell me you know something about this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd check for loose connections. My side mirror bulbs had been burnt out. When I went to replace them and the new bulbs would not work until I sprung the posts a bit.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
I'd check for loose connections. My side mirror bulbs had been burnt out. When I went to replace them and the new bulbs would not work until I sprung the posts a bit.
Had almost the exact same thing happen to me. Thought the mirror light was burned out, went to replace it and it was only loose. Wiggled it and it worked fine.

I'm having an issue that is close in nature... it appears that the mirror lights are connected to the opposite headlight, my mirror light was out and so was the opposite head light, i flipped the mirror light bulb and they both turned on.... WTF!?!?! now the mirror light is working but the headlight on the right is not and i checked the bulb on the headlight and all is good... still no light.... please someone tell me you know something about this.

As far as the mirrors and headlights being connected, I highly doubt it, I'm guessing its just a coincidence. Check all the bulbs and connections.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Passenger side mirror light socket is badly corroded causing frequent bulb replacements. The pigtail is fine, The part that needs replacing is the very small socket that the bulb plugs into. Local dealer said I would have to buy entire mirror kit ($300+) Wondering if anyone knows of alternative solution.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts