Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased FJ Cruiser Black Halo Head Light 07-11

I have them in place I am just confused as to the wiring of them. there is the main plug, but then there is two small wires which end in a black box, the size of a cigatette box, from this a red and black wire protrude. What am I supposed to connect these two wires to. I assume they are for the halo. im just confused.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I recently purchased FJ Cruiser Black Halo Head Light 07-11

I have them in place I am just confused as to the wiring of them. there is the main plug, but then there is two small wires which end in a black box, the size of a cigatette box, from this a red and black wire protrude. What am I supposed to connect these two wires to. I assume they are for the halo. im just confused.
The halo light is separately powered. The small black box is a ballast for the halo. Supplying 12 volts to the 2 wires turns on the halo. Lots of choices on how you wire this. To the headlights, parking light or their own circuit. Easiest is to wire them to the parking lights. Red wire gets spliced into the wire powering the parking light and the black can go to either the ground wire in the same harness or to any convenient bolt. Do both side the same.
Turn the headlight switch 1 click and the amber lights that come on are what you want to connect to.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I wired mine into the parking lights. Works exactly how FJ4RWS described. I also put a DRL switch in so to have just the halos running, which looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your help, both of you. for anyone else who has my inexperience this is exactly what I did.

Attached the red wire to the green wire going into the parking light, attached the black wire to the black/white wire. works like a charm. you'd think there would be more information on how to do this! or at least more in depth information.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I'm about to install my halo's, and I'm somewhat confused. I already have HID's in, how do I wire in both the headlights and the HID's? And wouldn't it be easier to wire in to the DRL's than the parking lights/ what is the difference?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm about to install my halo's, and I'm somewhat confused. I already have HID's in, how do I wire in both the headlights and the HID's? And wouldn't it be easier to wire in to the DRL's than the parking lights/ what is the difference?
You don't have to do a thing to your HID's if they are in and working. You should have disabled the DRL circuit or your ballasts will be very unhappy and because of the way the DRL works that circuit is a bad choice for your halo lights. As I said above you have several choices on how you wire halo lights. You can wire them to the headlight circuit if you connect them to the 12v input to the hid ballasts. If you do this the halo lights will only be on when the HIDs are on. Wiring them to the parking lights lets you have them on when only the parking lights are on as well as when the HIDs are on. Both ways only require splicing into existing circuits with no need for an additional switch and fuse. You can add a new circuit with a fuse and switch which would allow you to turn on the halo lights anytime that circuit had power.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
So if my HID's are plugged in to the 3 pronged headlight connectors, I don't need to connect my projectors to the said 3 pronged headlight relay/connectors/whatever?

And which wires are the parking lights?

Thanks for the info!

and yes, I already have my DRL's disconnected

·
Registered
465 Posts
So if my HID's are plugged in to the 3 pronged headlight connectors, I don't need to connect my projectors to the said 3 pronged headlight relay/connectors/whatever?

And which wires are the parking lights?

Thanks for the info!

and yes, I already have my DRL's disconnected
First what lights are you trying to connect? If it is halo type lamps proceed as above. If you are adding projectors then are your HIDs going to be used in them? If so no extra wiring is needed, just change reflector housings and insert the HIDs. If the new housings have a Halo feature then if you want them to work you will have to wire them to a circuit. You can wire them to the 3 wire plug for the old lamp. (one of these is typically plugged into a control box so the HIDs can do Hi/Low if you got that style) Should you choose this option the Halo will only light when either the Hi or Low beams are energized.

If you are adding new and separate projector lamps then you will need to add new wiring, including a rely, fuse and switch.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
First what lights are you trying to connect? If it is halo type lamps proceed as above. If you are adding projectors then are your HIDs going to be used in them? If so no extra wiring is needed, just change reflector housings and insert the HIDs. If the new housings have a Halo feature then if you want them to work you will have to wire them to a circuit. You can wire them to the 3 wire plug for the old lamp. (one of these is typically plugged into a control box so the HIDs can do Hi/Low if you got that style) Should you choose this option the Halo will only light when either the Hi or Low beams are energized.

If you are adding new and separate projector lamps then you will need to add new wiring, including a rely, fuse and switch.
I have HID's in my reflector housings already. I am adding the projectors with the halo ring to them. I have new HID bulbs to fit the projector housings. My current HID's have the hi/lo feature, and are plugged into the 3 pronged outlet, for the stock headlights, only on the driver's side. Do I leave the HID's plugged in to that and just not plug in the projector housings into the 3 pronged outlet?

And yes, I want the Halo's to work with the parking lights. Where are those wires that I need to splice in to?

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have HID's in my reflector housings already. I am adding the projectors with the halo ring to them. I have new HID bulbs to fit the projector housings. My current HID's have the hi/lo feature, and are plugged into the 3 pronged outlet, for the stock headlights, only on the driver's side. Do I leave the HID's plugged in to that and just not plug in the projector housings into the 3 pronged outlet?

And yes, I want the Halo's to work with the parking lights. Where are those wires that I need to splice in to?
The HID wiring doesn't change at all. If the new projectors have separate wiring for the Halos (they should) those 2 wires need 12v to make the Halos work. Turn the headlight switch 1 click to turn on the parking lights. The harness that goes to the amber light that is lit in the front turn signal pod is what you want to connect to. Pretend that the light is burned out and you need to change the bulb. The socket turns counterclockwise, clicks and comes out of the pod. Splice your Halo wires as above anywhere on that harness and your good to go. You will have to do this to both sides. Once you have correctly ID the harnesses you are going to connect to and where on those 2 harnesses the splice will be you may find that it is not necessary to actually undo the bulb from the pod. That's just a way to help you correctly ID the right harnesses. The Halos are very low wattage and will happily co-exist with the parking lights and that circuit already has the switch, fuse and relay installed. If your new projectors don't have a separate pigtail for the Halos post a picture and Make/Model so I can try and look it up see what need to be done.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The HID wiring doesn't change at all. If the new projectors have separate wiring for the Halos (they should) those 2 wires need 12v to make the Halos work. Turn the headlight switch 1 click to turn on the parking lights. The harness that goes to the amber light that is lit in the front turn signal pod is what you want to connect to. Pretend that the light is burned out and you need to change the bulb. The socket turns counterclockwise, clicks and comes out of the pod. Splice your Halo wires as above anywhere on that harness and your good to go. You will have to do this to both sides. Once you have correctly ID the harnesses you are going to connect to and where on those 2 harnesses the splice will be you may find that it is not necessary to actually undo the bulb from the pod. That's just a way to help you correctly ID the right harnesses. The Halos are very low wattage and will happily co-exist with the parking lights and that circuit already has the switch, fuse and relay installed. If your new projectors don't have a separate pigtail for the Halos post a picture and Make/Model so I can try and look it up see what need to be done.
Thanks for your help so far. I have been fiddling around, haven't installed them yet, but trying to understand it before I do. I did some experimenting, and for the projectors, the high beams only work when I have the actual projectors plugged in to the 3 pronged outlet, and I have the ballasts connected to the headlight relay that came with the projectors, then connecting to my HID bulbs. My old HID output box is completely obsolete, as I discovered how the new system works, but that is irrelevant now that I understand it.

What I am still confused about are the Halo rings. Yes, they are a seperate pigtail, and I understand that they connect to the parking lights, I have located those wires. My problem is, there are 3 wires for the parking lights, which ones do I splice in to (I will be using a tap), and how do I ensure that my parking lights will continue to work, in the sense that, I am not cutting power by redirecting the current to the halo's?

·
Registered
465 Posts
thanks for your help, both of you. for anyone else who has my inexperience this is exactly what I did.

Attached the red wire to the green wire going into the parking light, attached the black wire to the black/white wire. works like a charm. you'd think there would be more information on how to do this! or at least more in depth information.
Thanks for your help so far. I have been fiddling around, haven't installed them yet, but trying to understand it before I do. I did some experimenting, and for the projectors, the high beams only work when I have the actual projectors plugged in to the 3 pronged outlet, and I have the ballasts connected to the headlight relay that came with the projectors, then connecting to my HID bulbs. My old HID output box is completely obsolete, as I discovered how the new system works, but that is irrelevant now that I understand it.

What I am still confused about are the Halo rings. Yes, they are a seperate pigtail, and I understand that they connect to the parking lights, I have located those wires. My problem is, there are 3 wires for the parking lights, which ones do I splice in to (I will be using a tap), and how do I ensure that my parking lights will continue to work, in the sense that, I am not cutting power by redirecting the current to the halo's?
See above quote for for wire colors.

To make things clearer the 3 wires are:
1: Green is Parking Lamp (+) [your red from Halo goes here]
2. White/Black is Ground (-) for both the Turn Signal and Parking Lamp [your black from Halo goes here]
3. White/Blue is Turn Signal (+) [not used in your application]

The easiest way to connect is by using T-taps. These are small plastic pieces with a double slotted metal piece. You slip the tap over the parking light wire, slide the matching halo wire into the adjacent slot and squeeze the metal piece down onto both wires using pliers. Snap the cover closed, done. Repeat this process for the other 3 wires and you are finished. You can do this anywhere on the harness that is convenient. The T-taps are available at Radio Shack, Auto Parts and Car stereo stores. That's the easy way and I'm very anal about wiring so what I'd do is ID the correct wires and where I am going to make the connection. I cut the wires and slip a piece of adhesive lined heatshrink over the wire going to parking light far enough not to be affected when I solder. Strip the 3 wires (2 ends from cut parking light wire and 1 end from halo) about 3/4" and twist bare wires together with the parking light ends inline and the halo Teed onto the parking light splice. Make the halo wire lay flat against the parking light wire going away from the lamp. Solder the connection and let cool. Slide the heatshrink down the wire and cover the soldered splice. Heat the shrink tube so it conforms to the wires and you see glue start to come out the ends of the tube.

You could also use wire nuts but I don't recommend that. If you decide to do that look for gel filled ones they are more weather resistant (Home Depot and Hardware stores)

Wire nuts and T-taps come in different sizes. Wire nuts are more forgiving about size but probably orange or blue (smaller than red or yellow). T-taps work by having the double slotted metal piece slice through the wire insulation and making a mechanical connection to the wire. You have to get the right size so it will cut through the insulation but not cut the wires. You can test this by trying 1 at the end of 1 of the halo wires without attaching it to the parking light wire (1 wire only or both of the halo wires). Crimp it on then open the tap and check the connection. You'll have to cut off this T-tap as they are not readily reusable.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
thanks for the help, I installed them the other day flawlessly! well, almost. One of my taps wasn't all the way crimped, so one of my halo's would come on and then go out. To make a long story less long, I had the parking lights on trying to locate the problem, and when I fully crimped the tap (after discovering that was the problem), I created a spark and blew my parking light fuse. luckily, toyota was gracious enough to provide spare fuses with the FJ, so problem was solved.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts