Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wait - are you saying that the FJ headlight lenses in Australia or the Middle East are glass and not crazy crazing plastic??
I wish we'd just get the glass lenses here like the rest of the world.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just a question to the previous poster's comment as I had figured that, for at the very least engineering reasons, glass headlight lenses hadn't been used for quite some time in most/all vehicles.
Having grown up with glass, I find the the crazing of modern lenses a minor annoyance. This is why I was slagging on them a bit, even if I don't really worry about it.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Wait - are you saying that the FJ headlight lenses in Australia or the Middle East are glass and not crazy crazing plastic??
Pretty sure mine are plastic too. I have some fog in mine, but not sure if it's dust on the inside or not. Might pull one off tonight and see what happens when I put it in the dishwasher...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Would be nice if they are glass, so much easier to maintain. I think here in the US it was phased out as it was easier to form plastic into contour shapes and its lighter weight.
Who knows, if the previous poster is right, maybe they used glass in some areas for better resistance to sand?? I'm starting hope he's right.

Pretty sure mine are plastic too. I have some fog in mine, but not sure if it's dust on the inside or not. Might pull one off tonight and see what happens when I put it in the dishwasher...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'm not aware of anyone using glass headlight lenses, anywhere, anymore. My first car with composite headlamps (an '85 Honda Civic) had glass lenses, and they developed cracks and holes from stone chips after just one year (and were very expensive to replace). Was super glad to see resin lenses used on my cars since (though, hazing after 10 years is an issue, its way better than stone chips yearly).

In '85 I was comparing to the $3.85 sealed beam headlamps we used to have to use in the US: no hazing because glass, and who cared about stone chips because they were so cheap, but they didn't look as nice, or as aerodynamic as the composite lamps used in the rest of the world, so at first it had seemed like a big step forward when NHTSA finally allowed them to be used here, too, IIRC, 1985 was the first year.

Today's headlamps cost many hundreds of dollars, have built in aiming motors, computer grade power supplies for the LED bulbs and take up half of what used to be the front fender. They also work much better. But it sure is something to think about when headlights used to cost just a few dollars.

Norm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pat, people have said it’s fairly easy. I brought up a youtube video on how to do it. It showed you need a special tool. I didn’t have it so i just used the blue making tape around the headlight and didn’t have a bit of problem.
Ps.... I would post supporting pictures but I dont know how 🤪

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
I start with 3M heavy cut polish, then follow with fine polish, then glaze for protection-15 minutes. This works for a while.

If not, wetsand to remove clear coat, step up grits to 1000 and then a very careful UV clear coat-2 hours. Watch the temp and application thickness to get a good leveling effect. Polish and seal a month later.

(did this on my Audi Q7, replacement headlamps are $800 ea side-ridiculous)

·
Registered
960 Posts
I start with 3M heavy cut polish, then follow with fine polish, then glaze for protection-15 minutes. This works for a while.

If not, wetsand to remove clear coat, step up grits to 1000 and then a very careful UV clear coat-2 hours. Watch the temp and application thickness to get a good leveling effect. Polish and seal a month later.
Not on my FJ, but on another car, I have done this. It clears up perfectly nicely. However, about 6 months later, it all comes back. Is there a way to keep it from coming back, OR what is that you "seal" with?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Not on my FJ, but on another car, I have done this. It clears up perfectly nicely. However, about 6 months later, it all comes back. Is there a way to keep it from coming back, OR what is that you "seal" with?
Clear coat aerosol I had good results with after complete wet sanding:

UPOL
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LHER0M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Meguiar's M2116 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0

Meguiars polishes work well also.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts