1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I am not thrilled with the headlights on my FJC. The high beams seem to light up the trees more than the road. Although I think mine need to be adjusted down some anyway, maybe that will help.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I replaced mine with PIAA extremes and really like them.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I tested those with a light meter and they won, hands down. That was a few years ago before LED's and such.

I'm considering running some more tests since I still have the light meter to see where LED technology is taking us, and then updating the thread.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think the stock FJ lights are fine. The key is adjusting them properly especially if you have a lift installed. I do have auxiliary driving lights in the bumper but I would have done that to any vehicle for a better spread pattern. Unfortunately this report just released will probably drive people to perform poor upgrades to their lighting instead of doing it the right way.

·
Registered
854 Posts
'Headlight standards remain unchanged since the 1960's', they said. Well yea, but not really, since the requirement in late 90's to go plastic for the lense on all cars built since, headlights that don't get maintained get cloudy and well, this might be a whole separate issue. I hate plastic headlights, glass is so much better but the requirement was about safety, less glass flying about in a crash. No foresight that foggy plastic might be the cause of a crash when your headlights cloud up from being plastic. Sorry just my 2 cents on the matter.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I run thee lifetime LED's and haven't looked back. Awesome product and super easy installation.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
I have had HID modded headlights then switched to LED headlamps-2 different generations and I am back to the stock lamps.

Having a set of dim OEM headlights augmented with bright auxiliary LEDs provides a range of illumination to choose from. Keeping a low light capability can be very useful on and off road.

I'm exploring getting even dimmer headlamps to increase the difference.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
'Headlight standards remain unchanged since the 1960's', they said. Well yea, but not really, since the requirement in late 90's to go plastic for the lense on all cars built since, headlights that don't get maintained get cloudy and well, this might be a whole separate issue. I hate plastic headlights, glass is so much better but the requirement was about safety, less glass flying about in a crash. No foresight that foggy plastic might be the cause of a crash when your headlights cloud up from being plastic. Sorry just my 2 cents on the matter.
Headlights used to all be one of a few standardized shapes (I'm old enough to remember how exciting it was when rectangular headlights became legal), but manufacturers wanted to be able to use more aerodynamic and stylistic shapes. Glass doesn't work well for that.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
I personally couldn't care less about DOT approved headlights or the Insurance Institute. They're bunch of incompetent pencil pushers to begin with. It is all very funny since when it comes to their own vehicle like COP cars or construction project on the freeway they bring stadium lights, which blinds everybody.
Just looking for some decent lights so you can see some decent distance.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
I've been running the high output 70w Lifetime LED replacements for over a year and love them. They recently released Gen2 models that have a better cut off, but still wide, bright spread to improve visibility.

They also produce a normal output bulb that throws 2000 lumens which is a bit brighter than the PIAA Extremes I had before.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I saw that report last night on the news. Prius was the only model that did well. I suspect a Prius owner had some input on the report. My girlfriend's Mazda CX-5 GT has fantastic LED lighting, but it wasn't on their list of cars tested.

I just switched to Lifetime LED headlights. Love them!!!!!! They are much better than OEM. I doubt they compare to the Prius, but the Prius is running an array of flood/spot bulbs that are made to look like one light, while the FJ only has one light (per side).

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,990 Posts
I have had HID modded headlights then switched to LED headlamps-2 different generations and I am back to the stock lamps.

Having a set of dim OEM headlights augmented with bright auxiliary LEDs provides a range of illumination to choose from. Keeping a low light capability can be very useful on and off road.

I'm exploring getting even dimmer headlamps to increase the difference.
Seeking a range of illumination is exactly why I'm installing dimmer switches on some of my aux lights. Dial them down to "DOT" and leave them on full time if I want. Or flick them up full blast for special circumstances ;-)
Consequently, the PIAA Extremes in my headlights will do fine...with situation-specific assistance.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I tested those with a light meter and they won, hands down. That was a few years ago before LED's and such.

I'm considering running some more tests since I still have the light meter to see where LED technology is taking us, and then updating the thread.
I got them based off of the info from your comparison thread. I love this sight. I have been on here for nearly 4yrs now and have not had to ask any questions about anything. Thanks to you and others before me who have essentially answered all of them. :grin

·
Registered
392 Posts
Headlights?? We don't need no stinking Headlights.... When ever I ride with my wife, I sit in a fetal position and have my hands covering my eyes anyway....

·
Registered
124 Posts
i did the same with the PIAA's extremes a few months ago and have no regrets . i'm still waiting on led and hid to improve a bit more before i jump. Adjustment is super easy with a 8" #2 Phillips screwdriver, fits perfect in the slot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Indeed very disappointing to read that some of those premium models with newfangled LED lights performed more poorly than even some OEM halogens

I would strongly recommend a good HID projector retrofit. A proper high-end HID projector is still better than LED projectors at the moment, I think. The LEDs will probably surpass the best bi-xenons in a few years (i.e. LEDs right now are still in their infancy imo)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts