Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
To read the original full thread and post questions/comments on this topic, please go to http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-tech/61080-headlamp-washers-diy-install.html

INTRO:

Here in Puerto Rico cars don't need headlamp wipers or washers since we don't have snow/ice down here. However they are very useful if you are off-roading and you get the headlamps muddy or dusty.

I like the way these washers look bulging over the bumper. I've installed them on a Daihatsu Rocky I used to have, also to a Suzuki Sidekick I currently have and now the turn goes to the FJ.

I read some posts here about it but everybody are too busy out there doing other mods.

Well, here I go....

Doing this I spent, around $140 + tax, so maybe you won't get over that.

****THIS IS A "DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK" MOD AND I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGES YOU DO TO YOUR FJ****

COMPONENTS:

- 2 Mitsubishi Montero '95 headlamp washers $26.00ea with the rubber grommet $2.00ea that goes between the nozzle and the bumper. ( You can also use the washer nozzles from Land Rover $27.00ea.)

- 1 "T" check valve from Mitsubishi Montero $14.00

- 10ft of black vinyl hose 1/2 outside diameter X 3/8 inside diameter from the Home Depot $2.75 (they are at the plumbing aisle).

- Universal Windshield washer reservoir kit (from Autozone) pt#9-400 $39.99 (you can choose by not buying the reservoir and use the same reservoir from th FJ).

- Washer pump (from Autozone pt# 5-741) $19.99. I noticed that the pump that came with the reservoir tank wasn't powerful enough.

The pump that came with the reservoir tank is not going to be used. With a step bit, drill a hole to the tank to insert the new pump. Be sure the hole wont get bigger than the grommet from the pump. Attach the pump to the reservoir.

Now to the bumper part.
You don't need to remove the bumper fascia nor the brushguard. Just unscrew the bumper from the fender area (2) and from the lower bumper (3) at each side.

Mark with a pencil where you want to drill the bumper. There's nothing behind, so don't worry. Use a step drill.

As you see here, I used a washer and a hose crimp to hold the nozzle and not to be pulled out from the bumper.

This is how it looks from behind the bumper.

Insert the hose to each nozzles and connects the to the "T" check valve.

A video testing the washers before I screw back the bumper.

And now the final work.

I used a relay to turn on the headlamps washers only when the parking lights and headlights are on and I pull the windshield washer switch from the steering wheel.

Some photos from daylight and different angles.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Re: Headlamp Washers DIY Install

So I got all the parts I need to do the Mod. Please help. How do you wire up the pump to the existing wipers only when the lights are on? I am having a hell of a time figuring it out. By the way I love the mod and thanks for posting it!

I used a relay for it. ground (85), park lights (86), ground from windshield washer pump (30), from (87) of relay to headlamp washer pump ground, positive from windshield washer to positive of headlight washer pump.
That will make the headlight washer work only when you have your headlights (actually, your parking lights) on and you use the windshield washer switch at the steering wheel.

I had to change the simple bolt washer to a lock washer to use beneath the bumper to hold the nozzle. If you are using th same nozzles I used let me know because there are other things you have to get. (A lock washer and the nut for the nozzle.)

For my Suzuki Sidekick, I used the nozzles from the Land Rover.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Re: Headlamp Washers DIY Install

Parts summary:

FROM MITSUBISHI

- 2 headlight washer nozzles
- 2 nozzle grommet (they are like the nozzle's shoes)
- 2 butterfly nuts from the nozzles
- 2 spacers
- 1 T check valve

IF YOU SEE THE DIAGRAM FROM THE MITSUBISHI PARTS STORE COMPUTER, THE SPACERS GOES FIRST AND THEN THE BUTTERFLY NUT.
Where I bought my parts they didn't have at the moment the spacers so I just use a PVC connector for auto heater core and cut 2 parts with the Dremel (found at western auto, pep boys, auto zone, NAPA...) I am not at home right now but on Monday I can show you exactly.

Also I replaced the plain bolt washers to hold the nozzles under the bumper and I used 2 lock washer 1/2 inches. I cut one part and stretched to make it fit to the nozzle connector.
I know its hard to get it and worst yet with my English.

I did the hole to the bumper with the step drill. Don't make the hole too big, just as tight as possible to prevent excessive play. Make your own measurement and mark with a pencil.

After the hole is done insert the nozzle and go under the bumper (you have to unscrew the bumper just from the sides only; bolts from the fender area and 3 from lower bumper. Move the fender liner back away so you can see the nozzle connector. Then insert the lock washer and the spacer, and finally the nut. Tighten the best as possible without break it. Then use the black hose from Home Depot and route one piece near the other nozzle and connect both nozzles with the check valve from Mitsubishi. Then throw the hose from upper engine area and connect it to the check valve.

To attach the big hose (from nozzles) to the small hose (from washer pump) go to the Auto parts store and buy a PCV reduction connector (they'll come in a mix package). Then use the small clear hose from the windshield washer reservoir you bought (if you bought it).

A hint: If you use the washer pump from the Mitsubishi Montero (I bought it new $140) or go to a junk yard and look out for a headlight washer pump from a Montero, Land Cruiser, Daihatsu Rocky, Land Rover. The difference between the pump from a windshield washer is the output connector is bigger for more water exit and the windshield washer pump has a little one.

If you see this pump its from an older Montero but they are all the same. The connector from the side is the one you attach the bigger hose, the one you use for the nozzle. The connector in the upper part is where you insert to the reservoir. It has a grommet.

If you have any doubts email me w/ your number to clear any doubts.
[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.