Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am fairly good with the search feature and reading the f'in manual...... but what is the replacement bulb for the headlights? Manual lists HB2, some on here list H4, and some list 9003..... I am going to try PIAA first (although they never lasted too long in my FJ80).

http://www.cardomain.com/shoptype/Headlight+Replacement+Bulbs

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Scott9000 said:
Ok, I am fairly good with the search feature and reading the f'in manual...... but what is the replacement bulb for the headlights? Manual lists HB2, some on here list H4, and some list 9003..... I am going to try PIAA first (although they never lasted too long in my FJ80).

http://www.cardomain.com/shoptype/Headlight+Replacement+Bulbs
HB2, 9003, and H4 are all designations for the same bulb. PIAA H4's #15224 will work great in the FJ - I'm using them now. They have a one year warranty, and should last as long as a stock bulb (same power draw, even though they put out the equivilant of double the stock bulb in effective lumens...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Are these street legal? Don't want any awards from the local LEO's.:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you order the PIAA headlights, do the mirror lights at the same time! The mirror lights are going to look REALLY dim and yellow compared to the PIAAs otherwise. I just ordered a set of each off ebay... total was about $75 after shipping.

Guess I'll do the dome lights too since they're pretty dim and ineffective.

Adam

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
07FJFAN said:
Are these street legal? Don't want any awards from the local LEO's.:)
Yes, the PIAA #15224 H-4 Extreme White bulbs are legal replacements in all 50 states as per FMVSS108 (Federal motor vehicle safety standard). Try 'em, you'll like 'em...

·
Banned
505 Posts
Probably the 'dumbest' question of the day...yet I assume that the PIAA Extreme White replacement effectively eliminates our automatic DRL feature due to a lack of two settings inside the bulb?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Kzoocruiser said:
Probably the 'dumbest' question of the day...yet I assume that the PIAA Extreme White replacement effectively eliminates our automatic DRL feature due to a lack of two settings inside the bulb?

DRL's still work... I have had my PIAA's for about 2 weeks and love them. Changing the side mirrors this weekend.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wonder if the lower wattage of the DRLs will cause premature failure of the PIAA bulbs... I'm thinking of disabling the DRLs when I put my PIAAs in just so they're not burning ALL the time to prolong the life.

I ordered headlights and mirror lights at the same time as well. Should be great!

Adam

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
adam12hicks said:
I wonder if the lower wattage of the DRLs will cause premature failure of the PIAA bulbs... I'm thinking of disabling the DRLs when I put my PIAAs in just so they're not burning ALL the time to prolong the life.

I ordered headlights and mirror lights at the same time as well. Should be great!

Adam
I wouldn't think lower wattage would lead to a quicker burnout, though the bulbs due have a specific burning hours life expectantcy, less use would lead to longer life.

·
Registered
83 Posts
adam12hicks said:
I ordered headlights and mirror lights at the same time as well.
Adam
Adam, what model/part# did you order for the mirror lights? Anyone have experience with swapping the mirror lights...does the mirror housing take a beating?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts