Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem where the headlights stay on, with the headlight switch on the off position, key out and doors locked, I have replaced the ignition switch, and took the truck to the dealership to get it reprogrammed with no luck, if anyone can give me tips on what to look for and where to start diagnosing !

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
What model year?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of after market lighting has been added?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hella led spot lights but it has its own fuse and relay so not connected directly to anything, and LED lights for license plate, side mirror light, and dome light

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It may sound crazy but if you pulled the correct relay at the lights stay on it really is getting simpler. You do need to get ahold of a schematic and jump in there and figure where the voltage is getting in. Your key switch unfortunately really could never be the problem here

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Mine stay on with key out but only if the light switch is on. I posted about it and the best solution was to double tap the door lock switch on the fob. That works every time (y)

·
Registered
615 Posts
EDIT: I assumed the issue was with auto light turn off system and not headlights staying on when switch is in off position.
-------------------------------------

Maybe a faulty door courtesy switch?
Screenshot_20210223-094421.png

Screenshot_20210223-094053.png

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you fix it? My 07 is doing it now and I haven't found a solution yet.
No I didn't fix it. It went away on its own, after many weeks of drained batteries. I ultimately wired in a hard headlight disconnect switch, so in the event that issue comes back, I can just turn off the headlights.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
First thing to check is the door courtesy switches. These do fail or become erratic over time, especially if they get wet, and the door latch sometimes gets out of adjustment and doesn't allow the door to close far enough to actuate the switch.

Go through your normal shut-down, except instead of closing the door, manually press the switch plunger IN as far as it will go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First thing to check is the door courtesy switches. These do fail or become erratic over time, especially if they get wet, and the door latch sometimes gets out of adjustment and doesn't allow the door to close far enough to actuate the switch.

Go through your normal shut-down, except instead of closing the door, manually press the switch plunger IN as far as it will go.
Thanks for the idea. The courtesy switches appear to be working as they should on all three doors. The front/rear dome lights both turn on when the door is opened and turned off after 10 seconds when doors are closed or when the button is pressed manually. I went through the normal shutdown procedure as you recommended and the headlights stay on for well over a minute.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
What does the owners manual say? Mine is an 07. The lights don’t shut off for a while. They’re on a timer

·
Registered
22 Posts
What does the owners manual say? Mine is an 07. The lights don’t shut off for a while. They’re on a timer
Can't quote the manual at the moment but the lights simply do not turn off after the doors are locked as they had since 2006. My neighbor knocked on the door hours after I got home to tell me my headlights were still on.

Thanks for the idea. The courtesy switches appear to be working as they should on all three doors. The front/rear dome lights both turn on when the door is opened and turned off after 10 seconds when doors are closed or when the button is pressed manually. I went through the normal shutdown procedure as you recommended and the headlights stay on for well over a minute.

Any other ideas?
I disconnected the battery for shits-n-giggles and now the dome light does not (always) come on when I open the driver side door now. So I will replace the courtesy switch and see if that resolves the issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts