Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting scratches, scuffs and fogging on my headlights. It is not like you can replace the lens for $5. Factory is $500 for the pair or Amazon Chinese knockoffs are $150.

I hate to say this, but i sure wish the FJ used the standard sealed lights like the Wranglers. Have you seen the options? Droolz.

A challenge for the forum machinists... Make an adapter that will accept standard beam headlights. I tried to get in in touch with Fjoel but I think he is flying airplanes all over Canada.

If someone does take the time and make a good solution, I’ll commit to buying a set.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I get my brother to buff mine every couple years. I guess your mileage may vary depending on climate. I've seen OEM headlights for sale on this forum around $50 each.

Can you elaborate more on how the Jeep headlights are different? Instead of being able to replace the bulb they are one sealed unit? Guess I found my answer: A Brief History Of Sealed Beam Headlamps In The U.S.

You wouldn't think I'd be hard to make those fit.

·
Premium Member
12,179 Posts
There have been a few members who have modded in the 7" lights but it was not an easy task.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Maybe get wire mesh to prevent the scratches? Like they do on round light naked bikes cafe style

·
Desert Moderator
6,451 Posts
Is there a protective film or clear cover that can go over them?
Mine are still in good shape, but I also don't have to deal with road grit & salt...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Is there a protective film or clear cover that can go over them?
Mine are still in good shape, but I also don't have to deal with road grit & salt...
Yes 3M sells a kit. I have it in my 12. I have it on other vehicles; and it’s fantastic, no “yellowing” of lens you see so much on west coast. Lamin X or 3M is what I use. They come precut

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,005 Posts
Aeroflow, corp
clear or smoked plastic headlight covers

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
My buddy owns a bodyshop I had them wet sand passed the scratches.. then 3 coats of car clearcoat.. then wet sand an buff & polish... that was 3yrs ago... they still look like new!!!!!!! fyi they charge $150 to do this if u pull the lights out yourself..more if they have to do it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I fell there needs to be a national safety recall on every auto manufacturer who went to these plastic head lights !
Mine are the same hazed from the sun !

·
Premium Member
12,179 Posts
14 years.....still good. No hazing..no fading...still clear.

·
Premium Member
12,179 Posts
Nahh….I just keep it the FJ clean......I have a healthy winter tan.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Lamin-X film on all my cars and no hazing. I did Xpel on my mom's RAV4 after they yellowed...polished the lights to new looking and applied the film and since them no more yellowing.

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser
7 Posts
Has anyone tried separating the clear plastic front from the rest of the housing? I'd like to clean both sides. I'm also interested in brightening things up with this new halo from diode dynamics. But the install instructions leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Has anyone tried separating the clear plastic front from the rest of the housing? I'd like to clean both sides. I'm also interested in brightening things up with this new halo from diode dynamics. But the install instructions leave a lot to be desired.

@priustofj has done it. He put projectors in and they look great.

I’ve also seen videos on YouTube going over the details. Sounds like a pain in the butt, it’s doable though ??

Just search for “how to open headlights” or “how to customize headlights “. There’s a bunch of info out there.

And post up your results. Especially if you do the DD halos ??

Dan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts