Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mananged to chronicle my Headrest DVD installation. I am far from electrically inclined so I welcome any comments or advice on the installation.

First I recommend reading an important sticky

Dash and center console disassembly
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...-door-panels-removal-instructions-w-pics.html

And then search the site for basic electrical info...there are many ways to add components. I chose the "add-a-circuit route.

Here are the DVD players. Not much in the line of instructions included so I had to wing it.

I removed the seats, the covers zip open to allow access to run the wires through to the bottom of the seats.

Seat with DVD installed

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The next step was to disassemble the center console....this has been well covered in the forum so I won't rehash that.

The power lines were run under the plastic flooring, through the center console and up to the fuse box. I was careful to make sure there was plenty of slack for moving the seat back and forth and the headrest up or down.

I decided that I would also put in an additional powerpoint while I had everything apart. Check out this sticky to see your options.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/3933-how-add-another-12v-power-outlet.html

This is where I placed mine, it has good access to the back and does not interfer with storage in the center console.

Hooking up power was very easy with the add-a-circuit connectors. I powered both DVD players from one fuse point that would shut off with the key and the powerpoint from another that was on regardless of key position.
All of the grounds were combined to a single wire and grounded to a body bolt.

It all turned out rather well.

This was about the simplest way to hook up DVD players, they are connected to each other so that on can play two movies but I did not hook them up to the main stereo player. They feature wireless headphones (nice) and will broadcast the movie sound into the cars radio by fm. Also they have small speakers to use if you don't want to use the other options.

If I can do this, it can't be too hard!

Doc

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Nicely done! I planned on doing the same, but decided to do it in the wifes car instead because its more likely we'll be using it on extended trips - I do have a spare set of new FJ headrests available if you want to do another set for someone...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It really was not that bad. Now if I could find a DVD player that would fit overhead in my F250....I love the sound of silence with the wireless headphones! No more Disney ringing in my head:clap:

Doc

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
It really was not that bad. Now if I could find a DVD player that would fit overhead in my F250....I love the sound of silence with the wireless headphones! No more Disney ringing in my head:clap:

Doc
Alpine makes a nice unit with built in DVD, drop down monitor and wireless headphones - someone was selling one recently on the ih8mud board.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Do i see little mermaid on the screen??? Such a classic disney movie. The ones nowadays are starting to get somewhat lame.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Slick. Two questions.

1. So these just drop in and replace the FJ headset? All you need it power to them? I think the answer is yes, but want to confirm.

2. Are the headphones wireless?

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
287 Posts
Is this the factory kit from Toyota?
No, the factory kit costs a fortune and this is just as good maybe better. I'm getting a similar one but with covers that zip up on the back to conceal the players. On Ebay they are just over 300 bucks with the Microsoft discount. For the cost of the factory kit you can rent a billion movies.

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Looks good hindsight! I did mine too, I used the Vizualogic dvd though. I have had mine for a while, the only problem I have is with the 3yo he will turn it on and then it will be a while and I turn on the truck I will see that they have been turned on... Even though it doesn't wear the battery, I don't like driving by myself and finding out the some Disney show is playing... THE KID IS CRAMPING MY STYLE :rofl:

I am rewiring them and decided to add a toggle switch in the front to cut the pwr to them :D If we are going on a trip and he is back there then I will toggle the on.. Just an idea if you get tired of it too.

Oh yeah... beware... have PLENTY of batteries... the headsets chew them up..

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a PDF file of toyotas installation procedure. If you would like a copy pm me your email address. Its 8 pages and 5mb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts