Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving IsuzuTroopers (3) for the last 20 years and my last one died prematurely in an accident. I've used them primarily for around town use and trips to drive on the beach on the Outer Banks to find my favorite surf spots. While I enjoyed the Trooper's reliability and fairly simple design, I primarily drove it because of its headroom and legroom, because I am 6'6" tall. I am now in the market for a simple 4wd vehicle -not an Expedition, Suburban , Hummer or anything with leather. I liked what I saw with the Xterra-but there was no way I could fit in it as there was not enough headroom.
Based on wht I've read here and other places I put in my refundable deposit for a FJ Cruiser at MRSP. I'm really excited but no one can get my any specs on the headroom and legroom, and I'm afraid I'll have to wait until the first one arrives at the dealer before I know whether I'll fit. Does anyone at this forum have any interior specs? Has anyone seen a tall person sit in the front seat of an FJ at any of the events so far?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have the same concern at 6'4". I might be driving a 4Runner right now but it's a joke. Why design something with so little room. Makes me think those japs have it in for tall people. Tall people need love too.
Anyway, Percy sat in one at a show last month. He says he's 6'2" and had enough leg room without having to put the seat all the way back. And another tall guy sat in the back w/o a problem. I'm afraid that's about all the quantitative information you're going to get right now. BTW, I saw a huge dude in one of the crowd shots from Ojai. Did anyone see Sasquatch sit in one?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
GTrooper said:
I have been driving IsuzuTroopers (3) for the last 20 years and my last one died prematurely in an accident. I've used them primarily for around town use and trips to drive on the beach on the Outer Banks to find my favorite surf spots. While I enjoyed the Trooper's reliability and fairly simple design, I primarily drove it because of its headroom and legroom, because I am 6'6" tall. I am now in the market for a simple 4wd vehicle -not an Expedition, Suburban , Hummer or anything with leather. I liked what I saw with the Xterra-but there was no way I could fit in it as there was not enough headroom.
Based on wht I've read here and other places I put in my refundable deposit for a FJ Cruiser at MRSP. I'm really excited but no one can get my any specs on the headroom and legroom, and I'm afraid I'll have to wait until the first one arrives at the dealer before I know whether I'll fit. Does anyone at this forum have any interior specs? Has anyone seen a tall person sit in the front seat of an FJ at any of the events so far?
Pancho's right, I'm 6'2" and I have the same complaint. I've sat in about 20 vehicles in the last year none of which I would buy as I just don't fit in them. My take on the FJ is that there is PLENTY of room in it, but I'm 4 inches shorter than you are. I sat in the front with a guy about my height in the back seat and he said that he had enough room - I was comfortable. We switched. I climbed in the back and again, there was enough room for ME to be comfortable. I didn't feel closterphobic in this vehicle at all. That is one of the primary reasons that I want one. If you haven't seen it up close yet, I can tell you that the pictures you see make it look a lot smaller than it really is in person. Granted, it's no suburban, but it is suprisingly roomie.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pancho said:
BTW, I saw a huge dude in one of the crowd shots from Ojai. Did anyone see Sasquatch sit in one?
Umm, I think that was a woman.... Maybe I'm thinking of someone else... :(

Jason

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Sorry, Ms. Sasquatch.
That Iron Man dude looks like a pretty tall too. They had to design it big enough for him to fit in, don't you think? Actually from what I've heard I think it's going to be ok for me. With the near vertical windshield and boxy cabin there should be plenty of headroom. I fit ok in my wife's Highlander. It could have a little more leg room under the steering wheel. The "tilt" steering wheel only tilts up about an inch. I don't get that. Did anyone play with the tilt steering at SEMA or Ojai?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pancho said:
Sorry, Ms. Sasquatch.
That Iron Man dude looks like a pretty tall too. They had to design it big enough for him to fit in, don't you think? Actually from what I've heard I think it's going to be ok for me. With the near vertical windshield and boxy cabin there should be plenty of headroom. I fit ok in my wife's Highlander. It could have a little more leg room under the steering wheel. The "tilt" steering wheel only tilts up about an inch. I don't get that. Did anyone play with the tilt steering at SEMA or Ojai?
if i get a pass i'll check it out in greenville and will report back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm 6'8" and I need a new company car. My company will let me get anything I want in the fj's price range, but I wanna be damn sure its comfortable cause I have to keep it for 2 years & I spend a LOT of time driving. I'd like to test drive an fj overnite. Any big guys that drive one, please advise.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
6'6" here...

most comfortable car ever

btw, makes a great company car--especially if you can maintain title and do mods as you wish-- you have a great conversation piece to engage any customer

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I'm 6'8" and I need a new company car. My company will let me get anything I want in the fj's price range, but I wanna be damn sure its comfortable cause I have to keep it for 2 years & I spend a LOT of time driving. I'd like to test drive an fj overnite. Any big guys that drive one, please advise.
I've heard of several big guys on here liking the room in the FJ. You had best just go test drive one.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm about 6' 3", and there is a ton of room for me in my FJ. It doesn't feel contraining, ever, and there is literally about 4 inches of air over my head. Been about ten years since that was true in any car I've owned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm currently in a Honda Element for a few more months so I've got time to test drive a few FJ's. Has anyone here owned an Element before getting a FJ? I'm curious about differences in legroom & highway mpg. I usually drive 80+ & average 20mpg in the Element. My biggest complaint about the Element is with the 16 gallon tank, I only get 250miles per tank before its on empty. I've read that FJ's have 19 gallon tanks, so I'd like to know how many miles you can get from full to empty. Thanks for all the great info.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Tex has got to be 6' 6" and he has no problems. It would be best to at leas sit in one to know for sure but i am 6'1" and have more room than i can use and i have way longer than average legs for my hight (think stork) and i love it. I had a silvarado and i feel i have more leg room in the fj than i had it that.
I just looked it up and it says 41.30 inches for front head room, whatever that means.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
6'7" here. Had a 05 runner and that was tight. I have never had a vehicle with this much head room. Leg rooms very good too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
6'4" and broad shouldered and No problems here. It's hands down the most comfortable car I've owned.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Tall people might prefer the automatic. I have manual trans, and have hit my left knee more than once on the steering column. no biggie, but thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My son is 6"3" and said it was real roomy for him, but I agree the auto would be best.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
How in the world is an auto any more roomy than the manual?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
How in the world is an auto any more roomy than the manual?

There isn't more room, but in an auto, you don't have to lift your leg up to shift, whacking your knee on the console or whatever you want to call the big boxy thing in front of you... I said steering column, but on second thought, my knee is whacking the box thinga ma jig. How was that for a nice female explanation? :lol: :lol: Pardon me while I continue to go about my bad day/ month . . .

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
She explained that real good!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts