Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Adding aftermarket heat is better than factory.

Factory - heating element, foam, seat fabric you end up warming the foam before you get any heat. Heating element postion determined at the factory to cover all best possible driver shapes/sizes.

Aftermarket - the element is between the foam and the fabric, warming you up faster. Aftermarket you can place they element right where you want it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Having heated leather seats would be fantastic, getting into a fj covered in snow and then having it melt on to cold fabric seats.... wet and cold sucks! Also to add heated steering wheel and you could call it the Canadian package.

·
Registered
8 Posts
New to the forum, as of today actually, but looking into heated seats as well since moving from hot climate to cold one soon. What research have people found on the best heated seats aftermarket install?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I can honestly say the FJ wouldn't have made it to the top of my list as easily as it did if it had leather seats.
I agree. The FJ already isn't a far cry from a 4Runner. You might as well get a 4Runner. I love the FJ for it's all plastic interior and water resistant cloth seats.

I duck hunt and it is awesome to be able to hop out of the boat, go get the truck and just hop in with my wet waders on without having to worry about the water going anywhere. Two seasons later, no weird smells and still 100% clean.

Now if only I hadn't burned a hole in my passenger seat with my soldering iron when installing my CB :mecry:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
So if leather seats were an option, as in, didn't come standard you had to pay xtra, y'all would have thought about not buying the vehicle because of this alone? :lol:

I can't think of a vehicle under 50 grand where the base model has leather seats. Even BMW has "leatherette" seats in the base models.

I like having leather seats. The stock fabric sucks. I am not sure if any of you have tested its "water proof-ness" or not, but mine seem to soak up water.

Also, if you are going to be going hunting or anything else where its muddy, just throw a trashbag over the seat or cheapo seat cover. Trying to get mud out of the fabric seats isn't going to work very well. Leather, just wipe it off :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Totally agree Layonnn. I know Toyota says the seats have some special water-resistant coating on them, but I really wish I had leather. Its just so much easier to wipe off leather than scrub/vacuum cloth. Also, these seats hold dog hair like nothing I've seen.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
The facotry material soaks up water, a Sham-Wow doew really help in getting it out.

3M Scotch Guard will help repell for a little bit but the stuff stinks.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
The facotry material soaks up water, a Sham-Wow doew really help in getting it out.

3M Scotch Guard will help repell for a little bit but the stuff stinks.
X2 on scotch guard or other water repellant sprays.

I normally just keep some big, old towels over the seats if I will be getting muddy.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm a big fan of leather myself. It's one of the few "luxury" items that I added to the FJ. The leather is much easier (IMO) to clean than cloth and stands up to abrasives and sharp objects much better too. I also went with heated seats at the time because it wasn't much more $-wise, and I'm glad I did. In the winter time the heated seats are a nice treat and warm up much quicker than the cabin air. They're also nice to have on cooler days when you're running without doors. Just my .02.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I bought my FJ a few weeks back I was kind of apalled to find out that they don't even come with Leather as an option. The salesman said they'd have to send it out to a shop and have the cost added onto the purchase. I have never owned a car that did not have leather seats, because they are so easy with kids and a dog to maintain -- you just wipe em off and condition them occasionally. I went ahead and bought a used FJ with the custom cloth seats in it, but this is completely foreign to me -- I have no idea how to clean these seats, and I guess to get the dog hair off I'm going to have to carry one of those lint rollers with sticky tape on it that I can roll the seats with every week or something!?! Leather would have made a lot more sense for such a rugged vehicle!

The other thing I would have liked to have seen would be heated front windshield. These trucks are pretty much made for Colorado, but out here we need to be prepared for the winter. A heated seat, steering wheel, windshield, etc would go a long way!

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I bought my FJ a few weeks back I was kind of apalled to find out that they don't even come with Leather as an option. The salesman said they'd have to send it out to a shop and have the cost added onto the purchase. I have never owned a car that did not have leather seats, because they are so easy with kids and a dog to maintain -- you just wipe em off and condition them occasionally. I went ahead and bought a used FJ with the custom cloth seats in it, but this is completely foreign to me -- I have no idea how to clean these seats, and I guess to get the dog hair off I'm going to have to carry one of those lint rollers with sticky tape on it that I can roll the seats with every week or something!?! Leather would have made a lot more sense for such a rugged vehicle!

The other thing I would have liked to have seen would be heated front windshield. These trucks are pretty much made for Colorado, but out here we need to be prepared for the winter. A heated seat, steering wheel, windshield, etc would go a long way!
Clazzios will give you the leather look and feel. I installed heated seats underneath them and they look and feel great.:rocker:

·
Registered
511 Posts
In case it wasn't already addressed earlier in this thread, you can contact the folks at Katzkin and ask for a local dealer in your area. I've had mine installed since early 2007 and it's held up very well, despite the repeated dust, mud and rain soakings. The only visible wear I have after more than 4 years is a small crease on the side/bottom driver's seat where I constantly get in and out of the vehicle. IMO, the quality of the Katzkin leather is also a lot better than a lot of stock leather and should hopefully last longer as a result.

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
136 Posts
Clazzios will give you the leather look and feel. I installed heated seats underneath them and they look and feel great.:rocker:
When you say you installed heated seats under them, do you mean you just installed one of those 12V heated seat pads that you can buy for like $20 bucks on Amazon, or a kit that went inside the seat itself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
It is a real heated seat kit as you would find in side the seat. The only difference is I installed them between the OEM seat upholstery and the clazzio seat cover. Here is a link to a few pics of my install day.

http://api.ning.com/files/5Rtbhe0OF6IkEn9If84iW8JbnniZvK-SpgUoFwcezOp*vBLHJHkQhFj*3Lb7MWDtX98R3LDceFvNBSVh9QqAw08diyziYuutQ-qQHKU-ay8_/heatedseats2.jpg
Wow that is a really professional looking install! Wish you were local, and I'd pay you a few bucks to do mine ;) haha.

- Hakrjak

·
Registered
190 Posts
In case it wasn't already addressed earlier in this thread, you can contact the folks at Katzkin and ask for a local dealer in your area. I've had mine installed since early 2007 and it's held up very well, despite the repeated dust, mud and rain soakings. The only visible wear I have after more than 4 years is a small crease on the side/bottom driver's seat where I constantly get in and out of the vehicle. IMO, the quality of the Katzkin leather is also a lot better than a lot of stock leather and should hopefully last longer as a result.

Cheers,

Jeff
What did the Katzkin's run price wise? I did a search on their site, and they didn't list an FJ at all, but the prices for a 4-Runner was around $2600...

·
Registered
511 Posts
What did the Katzkin's run price wise? I did a search on their site, and they didn't list an FJ at all, but the prices for a 4-Runner was around $2600...
Wow! That's crazy MSRP pricing I'd guess. To give you a better idea on pricing... the install shop that did mine installed Katzkin leather seating for all seats (front and rear), with custom embroidering and heated seating (with switches) on the front seats, as well as a Webasto 790 powered sunroof - all of that, fully installed and out the door for around $2400.

If you can find a decent install shop in your local area, you'll probably find the pricing comes down significantly.

Jeff

21 - 40 of 50 Posts