Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay today I ran into a new problem, I turned my FJ off, removed the keys, and the heater was still blowing?? The lights were on the controls, and I could change the heat higher and lower but when I locked the car and opened the door the heat was still on. It took me several times of turning the car on and off, and opening the door before it finally stopped. So what is going on? Anyone got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
11,956 Posts
How worn out is your key? My original key was so worn down I could pull it out of the ignition while the FJ was running. It was also so worn it won't work in any of the door locks.
Could be the key is coming out before the ignition is off

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The key is in pretty good shape! I mean all the ridges are still there, and I haven't had any issues up until now.

·
Premium Member
7,624 Posts
You mean the blower stays on?

How worn out is your key? My original key was so worn down I could pull it out of the ignition while the FJ was running. It was also so worn it won't work in any of the door locks.
Could be the key is coming out before the ignition is off
Mine currently does the same thing haha. Comes in handy when I start the FJ and realize I forgot something in my house and need the house keys...
Other than that its probably more a hazard than anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mean the blower stays on?

Mine currently does the same thing haha. Comes in handy when I start the FJ and realize I forgot something in my house and need the house keys...
Other than that its probably more a hazard than anything.

Weird, any clue how to fix it ? I mean its only happened once but like how do you get yours to shut off?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Looking at the schematic of the HVAC system, the only way the blower motor can continue running when the ignition is off is:

1. If the HEATER relay has failed in a CLOSED condition;
2. There is a failure in the ignition switch that keeps circuits live after the ignition key is removed;
3. There is a short-circuit somewhere in the wiring harness that keeps applying power to the HEATER relay coil to keep the relay closed after the ignition switch is turned off;
4. There is some hack to the electrical system that creates condition #3.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but are you sure you are pushing in on the key and turning all the way counterclockwise (to the left) before you are pulling out the key:

There are 4 positions marked on where you input the key (from left to right):
  • Locked = everything off and the key should pull out easily
  • Acc = radio on (and maybe the lights); key cant be (or shouldnt be able to be) pulled out
  • On = position where key returns to after running starter and where it remains while running; key cant be pulled oiut
  • Ignition = to start vehicle; only in this position while running the starter
Wondering if you are somehow pulling key out when it is not pointing to the locked position, or if you are not pushing in on the key when turning counterclockwise when you turn off the vehicle.

For example, I know on my son's older jeep wrangler, there is a little button you have to push to return the key to locked position. After having it in the body shop and some [email protected] drove his Jeep out for inspection, they couldnt figure out you have to push a button to move the key to locked position and somehow just wrenched it out while it was halfway between the locked and accessory position. Took us about 3 minutes of coaxing to release pressure off the release button and truly turn off the ignition switch and then were able to restart.

Just seems like the first thing I would check is the functionality of the key and mechanical ignition module and ensure it is operating properly.

·
Admin
7,030 Posts
Weird. Definitely something wonky.

Do you have a remote starter installed perhaps?

·
Admin
7,030 Posts
It might be related to that.... I can hit a button on my remote and exit and the FJ will still be running.

Maybe when they wired it up they wired it up wrong.

·
Admin
7,030 Posts
At least you have a direction to look.

Take it to the place that installed it and tell them to fix it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Post #7, question #4:

"Are there any electrical system hacks?"

ANY non-OEM additions or modifications to the electrical system will generally fall into the category of “hack” unless the installation is done by someone who understands automotive electrical systems and has the skills to correctly perform the modification.

Also, remember that ANY remote start system will always create a parasitic drain from the battery because the receiver must always be ON, “listening” for the signal from the remote start transmitter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts