Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a little experiment to measure a bunch of locations under my FJ as I recently transformed it by adding larger tires, then a front lift, then a rear.

I took pictures of all the locations and then put the measurements into this chart.

Net results:
* Adding 285's increased my ride height by just under 1"
* Adding an All-Pro front and rear lift (adjustable front set to about 2 1/2") has given me a total improvement over stock of about 3.4"
* My low point used to be the skid plate just aft of the oil pan
* After lifting my low point is now my rear diff (as expected)

There are lots of variables in this such as the exact spot it was parked in my driveway (cement isn't perfectly level), how much cargo/gas was loaded, PSI in the tires, etc... so that is why there are some variation in the numbers. But, all in all it is pretty accurate.

I noticed I didn't have the stock ground clearance that Toyota claims in the ads. I forget the exact measurements but changing the PSI on my MTR's from 35 down to 15 did reduce my clearance about 1/2" or thereabouts.

Reactions: 4XX4

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Wow, you are in Kansas Law Dog territory. I bet people will find this useful. Thanks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You might have a little "too much time on you hands"

·
Registered
203 Posts
I wasn't so sure about doing a lift until I noticed that the mirror hight went up too. That's a big seller to me. ;-) Nice job.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, you are in Kansas Law Dog territory. I bet people will find this useful. Thanks.
I haven't begun to earn KLD status on this board, but thanks anyways...

You might have a little "too much time on you hands"
Well, I sit around all day at work and make pretty spreadsheets with profits and losses and cost savings. So I figured might as well make up a spreadsheet with some numbers in it that I actually care about. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
was just kidding.....looked like a tremendous amount of time and work. Looked like you must have some sort of laser measuring device or maybe you did a complete cat scan of the entire FJ. I guess if you do it all the time, you can certainly do it in a great deal less time than I could. Matter of fact, not even sure I could ever get it done. Certainly wouldn't look that nice and efficient. Thanks for sharing it with everyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for compiling this information. It was useful when I was comparing vehicles - I ended up buying a '98 4runner 4x4 with a 5 speed and rear locker instead of an FJ, however

I took some of the measurements on my 4runner that had a comparible location on the FJ. I thought it might be useful to someone else making a decision with a Toyota 4x4 purchase.

GREEN = Highest ground clearance of the group, greater than one inch difference
YELLOW = Highest ground clearance of the group, less than one inch difference

1 - 14 of 14 Posts