Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to buy a 2011 NSSE FJ tomorrow and as I was taking the garbage out of my garage it dawned on me...will the FJ fit in my garage? It doesn't have the tallest of doors.

Wondering if anyone that has an FJ with a Roof Rack could tell me how much clearance (in feet and inches) I would need for the FJ to clear the top?

Any help is MUCH appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

-TCCK

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Its right around 6'6" with the stock 265/70/17 tires.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Just went out to the garage and took some measurements, lowest edge ( rubber seal ) of the door is 6ft. 10 inches. At the highest point of the OEM roof rack there is 4 inches between the rack and lowest point of the garage door.

I have a stock 2011 FJ 4x4 with LT 265/75 R16 tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Measured my garage and I have 6' 8.5" of clearance of the frame. About 6' 7.5" if I measure from the rubber seal down. Gonna be a tight fit, have my fingers crossed. Thanks for the responses.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
if you have an automatic garage door opener you may be able to adjust the stop, I didn't need to but I got another inch by doing this to mine. Good luck and post some pics when you can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Garage door stops higher than the frame so that isn't an issue.

Follow up question for those that have the Wind Deflector with Off-Road Lights, do they sit higher than the Roof Rack? I found a decent deal on a NSSE with this option as well.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Follow up question for those that have the Wind Deflector with Off-Road Lights, do they sit higher than the Roof Rack? I found a decent deal on a NSSE with this option as well.
I've seen several different types set-ups posted here, to get a good answer you might want to include which set-up you're looking at.

·
Registered
434 Posts
About to buy a 2011 NSSE FJ tomorrow and as I was taking the garbage out of my garage it dawned on me...will the FJ fit in my garage? It doesn't have the tallest of doors.

Wondering if anyone that has an FJ with a Roof Rack could tell me how much clearance (in feet and inches) I would need for the FJ to clear the top?

Any help is MUCH appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

-TCCK
Just to be sure, measure your garage opening door opening. For a Stock FJ, It should fit any regular size garage with roof rack/air dam. Mine does, before that, since my actual garage door was hanging out a bit, had to adjust the garage door opener negative(-) travel a little a a time. Negative is when, when the door is being pulled back i.e. opening. The FJ Unloaded approx. w/o roof rack is 72 inch and 79 inch with roof rack.

Another thing to consider is will it fit a touch less car wash ? I'd brave it, once, Although I'd cleared the clearance bar with only 2" to spare, but cancelled in the last second as the washing arm might hit the car. Not sure, if anyone has tried yet. Also, unless you have enough clearance, stay away from underground parking. Good Luck !!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, all - my 2011 FJ with upgrade package no. 2 (17" tires) is 6'-7" tall with the factory rack. It fits in garages with 6'-8" clearance, but not in garages with 6'-6" clearance - tested and confirmed :(

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
REALLY need a quick answer on the OEM overhead lights with air defelctor. Need to know if the lights sit higher than the roof rack? I have a picture of one but can't really tell. Looks like they are higher but not sure if they are higher than the tallest point of the rack.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
REALLY need a quick answer on the OEM overhead lights with air defelctor. Need to know if the lights sit higher than the roof rack? I have a picture of one but can't really tell. Looks like they are higher but not sure if they are higher than the tallest point of the rack.

Thanks
The pics I've seen look like the lights don't set any higher then the rear of the rack....can't you just take the NSSE home and see if it fits in the garage opening before buying it? Also, what about using some 2x4's to make a L shape jig to check clearances?

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Let me throw this into the equation.
In my old house the driveway was steep and my 3" lifted FJ with roof rack and airdam would not fit in the garage. My new house has a FLAT driveway and it fits perfect. Both garages are the same height.

Hope these help

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dealer isn't too local. I think I am going to go with the non aux light model. I didnt realize the NSSE came with 17" tires. Someone said a few posts ago that they can just fit into a 6' 8" garage but not a 6' 6" garage with 17" tires. Going to be tight and looks like it's going to rub the rubber seal on the way in and out.

Going to leave in about an hour to buy the NSSE. Fingers crossed. Worse comes to worst I can remove the Roof Rack. I'll ask the dealer if they'll refund it if it doesn't fit.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
another thought, have the dealer lower one of there overhead doors to match the height of your garage door opening. Drive the FJ up to the opening and see which one works for you, seems like that should work. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Glad it worked out for you, now if it only the weather could be nicer.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts