Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i wired up my hella wire harness for my air dam and it seems that something is wrong....i just keep blowing fuses and i don't know why

i have not hooked up the lights to the wiring harness as of yet because my air dam has not arrived yet

the fuse that keeps blowing is the fuse that connects to the high beam..since i want to use it all the time so i connected it to a keyed fuse in the fuse box and hooked up the 12v power and ground to my blue sea fuse box.....

can anyone explain why the fuses keep blowing...i know that the lights are not connected to the wiring harness but i wouldn't think that would make the fuse blow if i have them taped up with electrical tape so not to touch
(-ground)

i thought it might be because the hella 500 are not connected to the wiring harness but.....idk

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
If you followed the directions then you have the positive and negative wires going to the lights reversed. I have wired up a few sets of Hella 500s for some forum members and the directions have been wrong every time.

Try swapping the positive and negative wires going to the lights (blue and black, if I recall correctly) and let us know if that works :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i havent even hooked up the lights yet i just ran the wire and the fuses are blowing is this because the wire to the lights are not hooked up that the fuses are blowing?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you followed the directions then you have the positive and negative wires going to the lights reversed. I have wired up a few sets of Hella 500s for some forum members and the directions have been wrong every time.

Try swapping the positive and negative wires going to the lights (blue and black, if I recall correctly) and let us know if that works :)

im going to go try it now
also if that was so would it blow the highbeam fuse? i would think it would be the power fuse....

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
im going to go try it now
also if that was so would it blow the highbeam fuse? i would think it would be the power fuse....
I dont know about the highbeam fuse... I usually bypass that and wire them to be able to be turned on completely independently of the high/low beams and without the key in the ignition

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what i did i wired it to the fuse box so i can use it when i want to..and i tryed what you said and they still dont come on its like the switch isnt getting power or somethin and the fuse for the green wire keep blowing

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
hmmmmm, I dont know.....

Maybe you should try to hook up the lights temporarily and see what happens

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
hmmmmm, I dont know.....

Maybe you should try to hook up the lights temporarily and see what happens
yea thats what i did lol

Maaayyybbbeeeeeee:shrug03: :worried:
mudlovingfj i now dub thee hella king lol thank you so much...man i'm going to write a loooooooooooong letter to hella on the poor A$$ instructions that they give you and how you shouldn't have someone that failed kindergarten write the instructions and doesn't know there colors lol...wow and i was thinking when i 1st read them that black is usually always ground...wow thank you again now my lights work yay ...ill take pics this Tues them the air dam comes in......it suck cuz i didn't have this problem with the black magic's...

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
yea thats what i did lol

mudlovingfj i now dub thee hella king lol thank you so much...man i'm going to write a loooooooooooong letter to hella on the poor A$$ instructions that they give you and how you shouldn't have someone that failed kindergarten write the instructions and doesn't know there colors lol...wow and i was thinking when i 1st read them that black is usually always ground...wow thank you again now my lights work yay ...ill take pics this Tues them the air dam comes in......it suck cuz i didn't have this problem with the black magic's...
Sweet! I am glad you got it figured out!

I knew the directions were wrong, stupid Hella

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i guess thats how the got there name.......what the HELLA is this lmao

thanks again mudloving

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im having the same problems. And im just a dumb USMC grunt so the black wire that comes out of the light is to ground and the white is to power???

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol no ur not cuz im navy sarc and i felt like a dumb A$$ not knowing how to wire something up even though i have wired wayyyyy more expensive stuff than these...

yea lol the black is ground and the greyish blue wire is power....and on the switch try switchin the black and yellow wire around...hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
gonna try it first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help. Did you use the Hella switches or did you try to use a yota switch. Also what Bn did you come from. I used to work with a lot of the guys that were in 2D Force and Bn out there at Lejeune.

·
Banned
752 Posts
Yo J, I got the lights to work finally, hooked up to my parking and drl with on/off switch. I'll show yah on tuesday at the meetup. Also hooked up led's in the mirrors...

Looks like I have some gigantic mickey mouse ears now, can shine up the whole block with these babies....

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
gonna try it first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help. Did you use the Hella switches or did you try to use a yota switch. Also what Bn did you come from. I used to work with a lot of the guys that were in 2D Force and Bn out there at Lejeune.

i went to 4 wheel parts and got a switch that is for a jeep but it matches my arb ones and it looks clean too ill take a pic tomorrow

ill be in great lakes for a year but i am stationed at camp pendleton...got some more training to do since so i hear sarc will be no longer and now we are classified as marsoc so i guess i am now a marine lol

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yo J, I got the lights to work finally, hooked up to my parking and drl with on/off switch. I'll show yah on tuesday at the meetup. Also hooked up led's in the mirrors...

Looks like I have some gigantic mickey mouse ears now, can shine up the whole block with these babies....
nice hopefully mine will be up too....I get it in the mail tomorrow it’s all wired up to the roof all I have to do is install the rivet nuts and drill the hole in the roof and wala

hey mark are you lights fog or driving lights....I bought fogs so that I can light up all the sides of the terrain

1 - 20 of 22 Posts