Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched on and off the forum to no avail.

I recently installed the hella micro fog lights with the attachments by Swiss. However after a week or so both lights went dead. I tapped the relay in disappointment and miraculously both lights began working. An hour later I returned and switched them on, however only the driver side fog light was working. I tapped the relay again and nothing happened. I discovered it was a bad ground (as I could see an “arch of light”). I re-grounded the relay and both lights worked again…

I did not use the FJ for a week. When I returned and switched them on, only the driver side was working. I have tapped the relay, re-grounded the ground to the battery and other areas, and checked the H-3 bulb itself. Everything appears to be fine with the exception of the passenger side light that refuses to turn on?

Could it be the relay? But then why does the driver side light work?

Could it be the grounding issue? But then why does the driver side light work?

Could it be a bad bulb? But I checked the bulb and the filament is not broken.

May the ALL MIGHTY forum assist me…

THANKS AGAIN

Danny

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
If you have a test light use it and see if the light that is not working is actually getting current. You could also do this by switching the bulbs. Double check both the grounds on the relay and on the lights themselves. Relays are rather cheap and easy to swap out, if tapping on it effects it I'd say that replacing it is a good idea.
Hope that this helps :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, my next course is action was to puchase a basic volt meter (test light) to verify if current is flowing to the bulb . However, if the relay is the problem, then why does 1 bulb work and the other does not? I thought if the relay was broken then NO lights would be on ????

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
It could be something with a loose terminal or wiring connector too. Double-check any connection point to a source (Ground or +Voltage) as well as where the connections are on the bottom of the relay and any intermediate connections between the relay and lights.

Sounds either like a finnicky relay and/or a slight wiring issue. You'd definitely benefit from having a meter or test light around, it can really be helpful in situations like this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts