Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
I have the same ones.....love 'em.

You lay on the horn......it catches peoples attention!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have the red ones too. Very loud, European, annoying sound. They definitely get attention.
I put the red ones on my 350Z when the factory one died.
They are loud and annoying, but that also means they are loud and annoying when you lock/unlock with the keyfob...

The FJ doesn't have that problem, with the beeper.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I may have to upgrade the horn. Yesterday I laid on it for some dumbass cutting just in front of my bumper, and the horn sounded pretty anemic. Maybe the cold is affecting it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the Hella but I would also be happy with the FJC having both stock horns hi/low tone

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
Supertone (Red) is 118db

Sharptone (Yellow) is 115db

They bark at different frequencies

Reactions: Thorz Hammer

·
Registered
141 Posts
Supertone (Red) is 118db

Sharptone (Yellow) is 115db

They bark at different frequencies
Either pair is loud and shrill compared to the pathetic stock unit, and get attention, just what one would expect a horn to do. I wired mine through a relay triggered off the wire to the stock horn. There are empty holes on the upper front brace to mount them quite easily.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Code:
FYI, the covers can easily be removed and painted if you prefer a color other than red or yellow.
I called Hella corporate and talked to there main guy reguarding installs help. I was told NOT to remove the grills or the bolt on the back as they are how they tune these horns.
I mentioned to him what I’ve read about people taking the grills off to paint them and how some people loosen the nut to rotate the horn conectors. His reply that it’s a know problem and people are advised against it.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
Code:
I called Hella corporate and talked to there main guy reguarding installs help. I was told NOT to remove the grills or the bolt on the back as they are how they tune these horns.
I mentioned to him what I’ve read about people taking the grills off to paint them and how some people loosen the nut to rotate the horn conectors. His reply that it’s a know problem and people are advised against it.
Removed the covers, painted them, then reinstalled. No problems since.

·
Registered
2008 Sandstorm FT 4x4 6spd Man Trans Off-Road Pkg
272 Posts
I just put the red ones on my FJ. They are not as load as I was hoping, but much loader and a better tone than the stock horn. The tone is much deeper than the stock horn. I installed them with the included relay and fused the power lead. The wiring is also all contained in the black corrugated split tubing, so only the last couple of inches of the wiring is exposed and visible behind the grill. I actually like the look of the red horns behind the black grill.

Reactions: rotorhed1
1 - 17 of 17 Posts