Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These horns HELLA SUCK!

Bought and installed a pair of Hella horns a few months back.

I spliced the signal from the OEM horn and sent it to the new horns and grounded them separately; I didn’t use the included relay as was recommended by Hella. The result was a new pair of pretty wimpy horns. To my untrained ear, they were not any better than the OEM horn 👎🏼

I figured it was my fault for not following Hella’s instructions. “They must not be getting enough juice”, I thought.

Fast-Forward to today. As was recommended on another thread, I re-wired them as per the below diagram:

Unfortunately, the new wiring made no difference. The horns are still weak and as far as I’m concerned, I got ripped off 😡😡🤬

Dan

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
These horns HELLA SUCK!

I spliced the signal from the OEM horn and sent it to the new horns and grounded them separately; I didn’t use the included relay as was recommended by Hella. The result was a new pair of pretty wimpy horns. To my untrained ear, they were not any better than the OEM horn 👎🏼

I figured it was my fault for not following Hella’s instructions. “They must not be getting enough juice”, I thought.

Fast-Forward to today. As was recommended on another thread, I re-wired them as per the below diagram:

View attachment 1124581

Unfortunately, the new wiring made no difference. The horns are still weak and as far as I’m concerned, I got ripped off 😡😡🤬

Dan
What gauge wire did you use for the "new" installation??

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,321 Posts
I bought a pair of Sharp Tones via Amazon. They arrived from India in a very battered secondhand box no idea if they are genuine or not, though the genuine Hellas are made in India. wired them through a relay and they work fine and definately a massive step up from the stock unit. Did you ensure you have a good earth via the mount bolt?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought a pair of Sharp Tones via Amazon. They arrived from India in a very battered secondhand box no idea if they are genuine or not, though the genuine Hellas are made in India. wired them through a relay and they work fine and definately a massive step up from the stock unit. Did you ensure you have a good earth via the mount bolt?
This. It’s been a few years but I remember the part where the ground wire connects to the horn was painted. I honestly don’t remember the brand. I had to grind the paint off where I connected the ground on the horn. The horn worked much better after it was grounded properly.

·
Premium Member
11,923 Posts
I traded out the supers for the sharps...sharps are better.....and trey match the FJ.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Hmm, good point. I used 14ga; should that be enough? I just assumes it was 🤷🏻‍♂️
#14 AWG should be fine, assuming that the total length of wiring is reasonably short and that good, low-resistance connections (crimped + soldered) are used at every connection, and that any chassis grounds are clean bare metal and tightly clamped.

Also, there;s no question that the horns were connected in parallel and not in series, and that the polarity is correct?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...Did you ensure you have a good earth via the mount bolt?
This. It’s been a few years but I remember the part where the ground wire connects to the horn was painted. I honestly don’t remember the brand. I had to grind the paint off where I connected the ground on the horn. The horn worked much better after it was grounded properly.
Seems like something I would have done, but I’ll double check just in case. Thanks for the suggestion 👍🏼

Dan

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
#14 AWG should be fine, assuming that the total length of wiring is reasonably short and that good, low-resistance connections (crimped + soldered) are used at every connection, and that any chassis grounds are clean bare metal and tightly clamped.

Also, there;s no question that the horns were connected in parallel and not in series, and that the polarity is correct?
Using the OEM signal to power the horns:
  • spade type connectors soldered to relatively short wires
  • grounds are bolts screwed tightly and directly into the chasis
  • horns wired in parallel
Horns powered directly from battery with OEM signal used as the trigger through the Hella relay:
  • several connections alligator-clipped
  • same grounds as above
  • horns still wired in parallel
it has been suggested that since I got the horns on sale via Woot.com, they may be counterfeit. Hmmm... 🤔
Seems plausible...

·
Registered
240 Posts
They look cool but they suck. I threw mine in the trash a few years ago. I replaced them with the PIAA superior base horns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got four Hella supertone but my next horn would be the PIAA Super Bass as I see them retaining their sound intensity longer than Hella.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also bought the Hella horns from the woot sale a few months back. Mines seemed legit. Took me maybe 10 mines to install and they're definitely WAY loader than the original horns. I doubt that it matters but I used my own spdt relay only because I have a box full of higher quality ones and I'm the guy that always tosses out any wiring/harness that comes with anything and make my own. The tone is definitely european sounding but I dont mind it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
These horns HELLA SUCK!

View attachment 1124581

Dan
Go to

·
Registered
129 Posts
Go to pull apart snag a pair ofc Volvo or Benz bolt plug play add a jumper wire for the second horn under 10 min loud As hell

1 - 18 of 18 Posts