Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reviews or comments on the Hella Optilux 2500's that Exp-1 offers with their bumpers? Do the 2500's have the "halo?" I was thinking of adding them to the rear bumper and am wondering how it works with the factory aux light switch.

Any thoughts on the Hella 2500's vs. PIAA 510 (5190 - white fog) for the front bumper?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump: Anyone???

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I've heard most of the Optilux series weren't very good, but I can't vouch for them personally. PIAA almost always makes a good light however. Go to some of the shopping websites and look for some reviews and see what people are saying in the real world. That's often how I decide on what I should purchase and what I shouldn't.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same exact question. Is it worth going from $70 for Hella up to $200 for PIAA for rear bumper lights? Will it add double the light output since its double the price?

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Optilux have the Halo selection. I have them in my front Exp1. Nothing bad to say about them , they do the job, very bright. I connected them to a on/off/on switch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you use the switch that came with them or did you install a third party switch? I want the capability to turn just halos on or both or off like the switch that coms with them allows, but I'd prefer to use a FJ branded rocker style switch in dash...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have them in my rear bumper, and they're plenty bright. I couldn't justify the price increase for the other options myself. I opted to remove the halo LEDs when I installed them. Those would need to be wired to a separate switch if you wanted to turn them on independently.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have them in my rear bumper, and they're plenty bright. I couldn't justify the price increase for the other options myself. I opted to remove the halo LEDs when I installed them. Those would need to be wired to a separate switch if you wanted to turn them on independently.
I'm in the same boat. I didn't want to spend a lot, since I'd only be using them as additional backup lights (wired to the other rear lights -- no independent switch). I skipped on the halo also. They do make a big difference compared to just stock. For $70 they are worth it, I couldn't justify more expensive lights for my use.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I had the 2500 Angel Eyes. They mount upside down in the E1 bumper and will fill with water unless you seal them with some silicon sealer. Did that with my second set and they worked fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have 2 sets of these Hella Optilux 2500s that came with my Exp1 bumpers. I plan on finally putting these in w/ a couple of simple push button (Mictuning) switches. A little confused with what wires go where or what to do to exclude the "angel eyes" feature (or can they run together?).

Anyhow... looking at the wiring, the Mictuning switch, is Green (source with inline fuse), Red1 (relay/accessory), Red2 (fuseblock/dash light), black (ground). The Hella switch harness, is Red, Yellow, White. I can only assume that the red is my source, and the yellow and white are the accessories?

Any help?

Reactions: dwish

·
Registered
183 Posts
The yellow belonging to the angel eyes sounds familiar. If in doubt, try to hook it back up to the included battery/switch that came in the packaging...when you pressed that little button in the packaging, only the halos lit up. That wiring is only responsible for the halo. I just capped those off and used the rest of the wiring, which is for the actual lights.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Yea, Yellow for the LEDs, black/white for the bulbs. I used the relay that came with the kit too connect them to the back up lights. I pulled the power from the factory subwoofer plug. I don't need them to be switched otherwise as i'll be adding rack lights instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts