Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Hella Valuefit500 LED lights. The wiring harness comes with a two setting switch to turn on flood or driving lights. I want to use a CH4x4 Switch double series switch and have each button control either flood or driving. The problem is there is the opportunity for both buttons to be pressed essentially turning on power for both functions at the same time. Would that cause any issues? There are separate relays for each function so it feels like double the power would be supplied?

Switch i want to use
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Grey Helmet Automotive design Gadget Sleeve

· Registered
4,012 Posts
The only concern I'd have is that the lights might not be designed to dissipate the heat from all LEDs lit at one time. If you're not using both for extended periods of time, there probably isn't an issue.

· Registered
7,722 Posts
It is only control power running through the switches. That’s next to nothing and no concern if you are wired correctly and use a relay for each switch. That’s the right way to do it, your choice of wiring may differ with catastrophic results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
10,699 Posts
Youd be fine. Power to the switch, then a lead to each of the separate lighting paths to give their respective functions power... Then would tap an adjacent switch or the dimmer to illuminate the CH switch as well if you so choose.

Looks like the kit only has one relay, which I am certain is for the more powerful driving lights. Running some little DRL lights through the switch is likely fine, and how Hella did it from the looks of them.

Overall probably as simple as just swapping the new switch in for the most part after splitting the 12V power and ground to both switches. Grab power from a fuse tap, and ground it within the console near the shifter.

· Registered
440 Posts
Just a heads up on that switch. I just installed one for some new lighting. Following the diagram supplied with the switch, my parking lights would come on when I turned the key.
The switch has 2 relay outputs, 1 relay power + input, 1 dash illumation + input, and a ground.
Both + inputs are tied together in the switch. I would suggest only using the relay + input, fed from a fused source, not the dash lighting input.
Switch is always back-lit, the ground will still control the dimming to the switch. Hope that makes sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts