Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My name is Mitch and I'm from Nashville Tennessee. I just got a 2011 FJ 4x4 since my old 2004 ranger died. I loved the ranger for the price it was my baby. Now I have a new baby that I cherish more than the previous. My biggest beef with the ranger was the suspension because it had torsion bars. I felt every pebble on the road. With the FJ I feel like I ride on a cloud blowing through pot holes like it's nothing and speed bumps are now smooth.

With that background, I'm in the market to get a 3" suspension kit and when I fist got my FJ I immediately fell in love with how it handles the pot holes and speed bumps on the road. With that being said I've been doing research on lift kits for 3 weeks now. I've read things all across the board on ride quality as well as various other topics. I narrowed down my potential lift kit to the 2.5 boss kit from toytec and the camburg fox factory 2.5" kit. I plan to set up 285/75R16 tires with an expedition 1 kodiak front and the expedition one rear without the tire rack. I've heard that the bumpers will weigh the suspension and dampen it down. I used to drive a 2004 ford ranger with torsion bars so I've become very attached to the FJ's ability to smoothly attack road hazards. This is gonna be a long and expensive process so I'm just going with suspension for now and hopefully chopping the body sooner rather than later.

To sum it up: I'm new and I'm in love with this truck. I'm in the marker for a lift kit. I love the smooth ride of the stock set up and I'd like to maintain similar quality after lifting. I've narrowed it down to the camber fox factory 2.5" and the toytec 2.5 boss lift kit. Again, I'm new and maybe this isn't the right thread for this question..

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,235 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Welcome from down the road in Nolensville, and a fellow big ten-er!

if you haven't already check out the SE region of the forum

Also, Cumberland Cruisers has a meet-ups once a month and would give you a chance to check out other people's setup.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome from down the road in Nolensville, and a fellow big ten-er!

if you haven't already check out the SE region of the forum

Also, Cumberland Cruisers has a meet-ups once a month and would give you a chance to check out other people's setup.
That's awesome! Do you guys have anything besides the Facebook page and this form to keep up with the club? I'd love to try and meet up! I'm just a young college student and youngsters tend to get a bad wrap.. I'm not usually in town now that I'm working with polaris and takin classes. Currently I try to go out to wheel with my friend in the Society of Automotive engineers.

Also I've just subscribed to the SE thread!

·
Premium Member
16,569 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
welcome Mitch

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Welcome from Georgia!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hello all,
My name is Mitch and I'm from Nashville Tennessee. I just got a 2011 FJ 4x4 since my old 2004 ranger died. I loved the ranger for the price it was my baby. Now I have a new baby that I cherish more than the previous. My biggest beef with the ranger was the suspension because it had torsion bars. I felt every pebble on the road. With the FJ I feel like I ride on a cloud blowing through pot holes like it's nothing and speed bumps are now smooth.

With that background, I'm in the market to get a 3" suspension kit and when I fist got my FJ I immediately fell in love with how it handles the pot holes and speed bumps on the road. With that being said I've been doing research on lift kits for 3 weeks now. I've read things all across the board on ride quality as well as various other topics. I narrowed down my potential lift kit to the 2.5 boss kit from toytec and the camburg fox factory 2.5" kit. I plan to set up 285/75R16 tires with an expedition 1 kodiak front and the expedition one rear without the tire rack. I've heard that the bumpers will weigh the suspension and dampen it down. I used to drive a 2004 ford ranger with torsion bars so I've become very attached to the FJ's ability to smoothly attack road hazards. This is gonna be a long and expensive process so I'm just going with suspension for now and hopefully chopping the body sooner rather than later.

To sum it up: I'm new and I'm in love with this truck. I'm in the marker for a lift kit. I love the smooth ride of the stock set up and I'd like to maintain similar quality after lifting. I've narrowed it down to the camber fox factory 2.5" and the toytec 2.5 boss lift kit. Again, I'm new and maybe this isn't the right thread for this question..

Welcome, We have a pretty good group here in Middle Tennessee. Do you have facebook? if so join the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/CumberlandCruisers/

As to your lift question, you are going the right way. Any 2.5" coilover will serve you well, Toytec, Fox, Icon, King, Walker Evans...Pick you favorite and you won't go wrong. If you are going to get the rear bumper with swingout go ahead and get HD rear springs. Check us out we have monthly meet-n-greets and periodic trail rides

here is our ongoing thread here if you don't have facebook http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/south-east-region/483754-cumberland-cruisers-middle-tennessee-group.html

·
Registered
257 Posts
That's awesome! Do you guys have anything besides the Facebook page and this form to keep up with the club? I'd love to try and meet up! I'm just a young college student and youngsters tend to get a bad wrap.. I'm not usually in town now that I'm working with polaris and takin classes. Currently I try to go out to wheel with my friend in the Society of Automotive engineers.

Also I've just subscribed to the SE thread!

99% of the club activities are managed through Facebook. I cross post the stuff to the Cumberland Cruisers thread but sometimes I forget.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee Check out Cumberland cruisers on FB that's the Nashville one

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome.

Coincidentally, I'm in the Nashville area as well, just finished mounting an Expedition One front bumper, getting the same size tires and have been researching a 2.5" lift. So please keep us updated. I'd be very interested in what you end up with.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts