Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I was able to purchase my mid life crisis vehicle and lucked out with an 07 FJ. 107k, with rear locker and Atrac. Looking forward to joining my brother in his JK out on the trails. I bought my wife a new JL but I have always wanted the FJ and finally got one (the 4th one I could find that I finally was able to purchase before it was sold underneath me). I lucked out, solid frame, $11K for final sale price. The other three were newer but in the $25K price range! Only mod I’ve done is the PURE FJ storage box. My local Toyota garage was blown away with the condition of truck. I am putting new brakes on all around, any suggestions? I am not a mechanic ( wood yes...machinery no). I would like new sneakers but am curious what is the max size I can get on a non lifted with 17” stock wheels. Thinking KO2s. Thanks, for the site, I bought my FJ in July for my 50th but this is my first post.

Attachments

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,356 Posts
Greetings from VT! And welcome to your next “crisis” - the FJ mod bug 😁 Lots of nice trails in NH! Is your FJ completely stock? 107k mi is a baby...it may outlast you, especially if you keep up the regular maintenance. And change ALL the fluids as a baseline, if you haven’t already. As for tires, if you’re thinking of lifting it you might want to wait. Also our delightful winter weather may be a factor. I’ve run Cooper ST Maxx all-terrain and Cooper ST Pro mud terrain year-round up here with great success (never felt the need to put on my Michelin Xice snowtires). GL!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
33,760 Posts
Welcome!

Reactions: Chris1082

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Greetings from VT! And welcome to your next “crisis” - the FJ mod bug 😁 Lots of nice trails in NH! Is your FJ completely stock? 107k mi is a baby...it may outlast you, especially if you keep up the regular maintenance. And change ALL the fluids as a baseline, if you haven’t already. As for tires, if you’re thinking of lifting it you might want to wait. Also our delightful winter weather may be a factor. I’ve run Cooper ST Maxx all-terrain and Cooper ST Pro mud terrain year-round up here with great success (never felt the need to put on my Michelin Xice snowtires). GL!
Thanks for that, yup completely stock. as soon as I purchased it I brought it over to Toyota and had a complete 100k service done anticipating it had not been done already. That’s when I got the great news....awesome shape. I’ve got one spot of rust in the weirdest place, rear swing door at the base, interior. I am going to scrape it and put some rustoleum there just to make sure it doesn’t spread but it hasn’t scabbed, just some surface rust. I lucked out with the locker and atrac as well as the bass system. My Wife bought me a Sony Apple car play system and a back up cam on the hard shell spare cover installed. I was thinking of doing a lift, maybe three inches though I’m impressed with the ground clearance I have stock. The only real thing I want done before the snow flies is all new brakes. They are grabbing a little and I figure just replacing and upgrading would make me happy. I do have a single axle 6x12 covered utility trailer I use for totting around my ATV, getting lumber for my shop and going to the dump so the extra breaking would be helpful. But most importantly I have two little kids and though I do normally drive a Pacifica....do not get me going on that (insert my Wife’s new JL here) I have been picking up my kids in ”Daddy’s Jeep” as my Son calls it, and want to start there. By the way, one rear facing, one forward facing car seat....no problems. You know other than being 50 with a one and three year old 😄. My tires are almost new all season, 265/70R17 so I don’t need tires...but I do want to hit some local trails soon and I want to put something with some bite on them. I have a work car so between my....mini van.....and my FJ I will go maybe 5-7K a year. Thanks for the suggestion of the Coopers. Also, do you know any resources for local trails?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,356 Posts
@Chris1082 50yrs old in an FJ is young 👍 Sounds like you’re off to a good start with it, and running some mild trails will get you started on knowing what you want to modify. As for trails and groups, check out the Exploring New Hampshire site - it’s a very active group that goes on trails often. Mostly jeeps but a fair number of Toyota’s including a couple FJs and nice people. I’m pretty sure they have a listing of local trails. What part of NH are you in?

·
Premium Member
16,746 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Chris1082 50yrs old in an FJ is young 👍 Sounds like you’re off to a good start with it, and running some mild trails will get you started on knowing what you want to modify. As for trails and groups, check out the Exploring New Hampshire site - it’s a very active group that goes on trails often. Mostly jeeps but a fair number of Toyota’s including a couple FJs and nice people. I’m pretty sure they have a listing of local trails. What part of NH are you in?
Thank you Sir! I moved to Farmington about four years ago but am from the area. Thanks for the information as well plus great advice on how to step into this carefully

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey welcome I am from NH. If you ever want to go wheeling let me know. If you go out a drive around you can probably find some class 6 roads go on those and It will mostly be pretty easy. Then you can start on harder stuff as you mod.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,356 Posts
You are most welcome, and if you get that lift/armor etc let me know and we can run some trails....but be prepared for a little surprise- I’m not a “sir” lol! No prob - I enjoy the distinction 😁

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
Welcome from Oregon :)

The 'bug' doesn't stop at 50, never stops. (y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome from Mississippi. My mom's from New Hampshire and still has brother and a sister that live up there. She's from Exeter. Beautiful country up there.

·
Admin
7,539 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
🍻 🍻

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome from Mississippi. My mom's from New Hampshire and still has brother and a sister that live up there. She's from Exeter. Beautiful country up there.
Nice! I live about forty minutes North and East of Exeter. I’m on the Maine border about 30 minutes from the Atlantic and and your from the White Mountains.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey welcome I am from NH. If you ever want to go wheeling let me know. If you go out a drive around you can probably find some class 6 roads go on those and It will mostly be pretty easy. Then you can start on harder stuff as you mod.
Thanks I will certainly let you know! I wanted to try Blue Job in Strafford (not a typo 😜) but they privatized most of the mountain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys, just wanted to say this forum is awesome. I’ve been on everyday just surfing at bedtime. Thanks all!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for that, yup completely stock. as soon as I purchased it I brought it over to Toyota and had a complete 100k service done anticipating it had not been done already. That’s when I got the great news....awesome shape. I’ve got one spot of rust in the weirdest place, rear swing door at the base, interior. I am going to scrape it and put some rustoleum there just to make sure it doesn’t spread but it hasn’t scabbed, just some surface rust. I lucked out with the locker and atrac as well as the bass system. My Wife bought me a Sony Apple car play system and a back up cam on the hard shell spare cover installed. I was thinking of doing a lift, maybe three inches though I’m impressed with the ground clearance I have stock. The only real thing I want done before the snow flies is all new brakes. They are grabbing a little and I figure just replacing and upgrading would make me happy. I do have a single axle 6x12 covered utility trailer I use for totting around my ATV, getting lumber for my shop and going to the dump so the extra breaking would be helpful. But most importantly I have two little kids and though I do normally drive a Pacifica....do not get me going on that (insert my Wife’s new JL here) I have been picking up my kids in ”Daddy’s Jeep” as my Son calls it, and want to start there. By the way, one rear facing, one forward facing car seat....no problems. You know other than being 50 with a one and three year old 😄. My tires are almost new all season, 265/70R17 so I don’t need tires...but I do want to hit some local trails soon and I want to put something with some bite on them. I have a work car so between my....mini van.....and my FJ I will go maybe 5-7K a year. Thanks for the suggestion of the Coopers. Also, do you know any resources for local trails?
Welcome from the south coast of MA, very clean. I lived in the MiIford area for 25 years. Is that your work vehicle in the back ground?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts