Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, eh ;-) Hope you're all well. I've been lurking on this forum for about 5 months now, and figured it was time to sign up. I traded my FX45 for a Black Diamond '07 FJ about 3 months ago, and haven't looked back. I thought I would miss my FX, I was wrong. I've been confined to pavement with my last 2 vehicles for 10 years, when prior to that I owned 4x4s and enjoyed going out wheeling. Living in small town Sask, there's not alot of pavement to pound so cars/XUTs get boring fast.

I can say that I'm absolutely in love with my FJ, unlike any other vehicle I've owned..it's here to stay. By nature, I'm a DIYer around my home and business but never had the facilities or the tools to wrench on vehicles. Now that we bought a home with a garage, that's slowly changing as I try and tool up so that I can wrench on my baby. It'll take some time and moolah to get setup, but I'm looking forward to it. This forum has been such a valuable resource to many of the questions I had, with great support from members who seem quite eager to help, very nice community! I'm looking forward to learning from all the great contributions here.

Here's some pics:

I haven't done very much to it. It came with a Magnaflow exhaust, air bags in the rear coils, Astro Start and a Volo Performance chip-not thrilled about that because I don't know much about them but it's been there since I've owned it and I haven't noticed any ill effects. I added a DeeZee rear ladder, and switched to LED bulbs for the interior, license plate, mirror and reverse lights. I also just pulled the diffuser out of the mirrors 2 days ago. Last week I did the alternate 'no-cut' version of the Alex ATRAC hack, it works like a charm and will come in handy in the deep snow that we see here. I thank the many gurus, geniuses and risk takers that had the knowledge and the eggs to do some of these mods and were kind enough to share them with the rest of the world.

..sorry for the long first post, I work crazy hours, and tend to post stories when I get around to posting lol!>:D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome from the East Coast!!!

I agree with what you said completely... I have owned many vehicles in my life and have loved none like the FJ. Its not only a great vehicle, reason for adventure etc. its become a hobby just customizing it to make it my own (as much as the budget and boss (wife) will allow :) !!! Best Vehicle bar none.

ENJOY!!!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
37,943 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome to the crew

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
welcome

·
Admin
8,482 Posts
Welcome from your neighbour to the east!
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,936 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thank you all for the warm welcome. So tell me, is it normal to think about your FJ more than..well, more than everything else?? LOL. A guy my age shouldn't be thinking about a toy this much..maybe this is a better question for my therapist rather than the FJC forum ha! I'm happy to see some fellow Canucks who likely run their FJ in similar conditions for part of the year( crappy Winter ) who may have some good tips for sub-zero FJing. The rocks that we have around here would be considered pebbles to forum members so rock crawling isn't priority for my rig, mainly hills, trails, mud and snow, lots of snow. Winterpeg, I used to race off road 1/8 scale nitro RC cars 3 years ago, and raced in Winnipeg a few times, my engine modifier/good friend is from there along with a bunch of other RC racer friends, always had fun there.

My major mods won't come quick, which is OK because for my neck of the woods, I'm quite thrilled with the FJ's capability as it sits and I'm not anywhere close to bored with it yet. This gives me time to think it through and plan. It has to still be my daily driver. I do look forward to the day that I can modify the suspension. That day will be when the stock suspension needs replacing. At that point, I think it will be replaced with a pre-runner type of shock setup. Something that works well from über-low to med-high speed on trails, if they make such a thing for our FJs. My brother has a Ford Raptor with Fox piggy-back shocks and it handles high speed bumps/washboard like it's on pavement. I know that an FJ isn't a Raptor, but a similar feel would be something I would aim for. I do love how it feels stock though, so I'm going to enjoy that for now. I just can't think of another 4x4 that I like more than the FJ and had I known it was this good, I would have bought one 5 years ago! Better late than never! Thanks again everyone.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts