Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm looking at getting an FJ and I have a few questions about what options I actually need.

Here's my questions and plans.

Radio - I'm going to add an aftermarket in dash NAV head unit with backup camera and ipod connection. I don't know weather to get the sub in the rear, or just add a bazooka tube?

Roof rack - I've thought of adding the gobi stealth rack. I'm not 100%. Should I get the stock rack or is this easy to add afterwards?

Ladder - does the gobi ladder work with the rear expedition one bumper with the tire carrier? I'm looking at this rear bumper because I want to get a lift and larger tires. I don't want the extra weight on the rear door.

Shifter - is it possible to shorten the stock auto shifter?

I still have some time. I'm currently on deployment, but I've already begun to look at truck and emailing some dealers.

I appreciate any tips and input!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Welcome to the site I can't answer all your questions but there is a vender here that makes a custom box that mounts where the stock FJ box is that has two 10" JL subs and sounds a lot better. I would go that route. Thanks for your service:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure if you have selected a head unit yet. I had crazy wires all over the place from xm gps etc. I put in a clarion unit that is awesome. More output power instantly improved the stock speaker sound so much that I decided not to replace them. The unit has Bluetooth DVD rear camera xm gps nav touchscreen etc. Sub in the back provided good sound. I went minimal size because I use my cargo area for cargo regularly.

I have a stock rack and nothing except some Yakima add ons at this point.

Enjoy the FJC

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
Dia duit agus fáilte!

Roof rack - I've thought of adding the gobi stealth rack. I'm not 100%. Should I get the stock rack or is this easy to add afterwards?
Have you seen what the stock rack costs? :eek: You'd be far ahead to buy one without the rack and put the money towards a Gobi. The Gobi is easy to install - I did mine by myself but it's easier (and less chance of scratching your paint) if you have one helper.

Yes; also easy with an 8mm x 1.25 die and a hacksaw. There is a write-up how-to in this thread: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/14695-neighborhood-kids-built-treehouse-my-shifter.html Here is a more recent photo of mine (I shortened it a second time):

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Hi all,
I'm looking at getting an FJ and I have a few questions about what options I actually need.

Here's my questions and plans.

Radio - I'm going to add an aftermarket in dash NAV head unit with backup camera and ipod connection. I don't know weather to get the sub in the rear, or just add a bazooka tube?

I went with Rosen based on info from forum member Catman. He's a definite audiophile, and claimed that after he changed out head unit, he couldn't tell when his factory sub was on or off. For what it's worth. Search his posts, if interested. I was getting sub, until I installed new head unit. No point, for me. There's a mod from Tincan, though for factory sub posted here that does increase it's presence, according to many forum members.

I've got a Gobi Stealth sitting in box to install. More functional than stock rack. I don't know cost of OEM rack, but if buying from Toyota, probably more expensive than Gobi (no factual basis). Gobi Is more functional than Factory rack in factory form.

Ladder - does the gobi ladder work with the rear expedition one bumper with the tire carrier? I'm looking at this rear bumper because I want to get a lift and larger tires. I don't want the extra weight on the rear door.

I've installed Gobi ladder with EXP One rear bumper (no carrier), but based on original research, the swing out tire carrier will not work with the Gobi Ladder without modification to ladder. After installing mine, see why. The lower mounting bracket of ladder would hit lower hub of tire carrier. But, contact Istvan (2whitehummers) and I'm sure they have, or will be making a ladder for this set up. I regret not doing tire carrier, and it would trump ladder, in retrospect.

Seen several threads on here about, but can't say. Lots of bling shifters available

I still have some time. I'm currently on deployment, but I've already begun to look at truck and emailing some dealers.

I appreciate any tips and input!

Thanks!
I'll throw in my two cents about Expedition One and 2whitehummers (Gobi supporting vendor)

Sarah and Trissa at Expedition Obe were both informative and answered all my questions. Awesome product.

Istvan (Gobi Rep) was the same. Had me fixed up in no time, and there's a Group Buy going now on racks, ladders, and lights. If he can't answer you compatibility question, he'll find someone who can.

Thanks for your service. Any specific questions you have about these products, PM and I'll answer or find answer. I'm new here, as well. Invaluable resource.

Chris Delancy

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Another tip, based on my experience. When posting questions about specific products, include question in title with product name. Again, my two cents worth, but I had lots of unanswered questions that, I assume, weren't "seen" due to vagueness of title.

Chris Delancy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts