Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a trail I've wanted to do for so long, and finally had the opportunity. I went alone and despite that I had an absolutely marvelous time and excess amounts of fun. Definitely recommend this one for those of you visiting Moab.

There were also some younger folks (Closer to my age) that had chosen to take their Jeep Cherokee up the Escalator. Needless to say he wound up stuck with the passenger side of his vehicle leaning into the slickrock. He asked if I would winch him out and I agreed, nice guys, glad I could help them out. The winching process drew spectators in itself...

I also had plenty of compliments from the Jeep guys on the FJ. Oh and my FJ went right over everything, which reminded me why I loved it so much!

Flexing on a ledge...

These next four were from a steep ledge I decided to try and go up, there were two other options, one was a flat-sand bypass, and the other was a leveled ascent. I made it up, this was only place I made contact with the undercarriage on the trail...(I hit the LCA Mount Skids)

Here is a link to the slideshow that contains these photos, as well as the rest of the album: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

There are some duplicates in the album, sorry!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Very nice pictures! Was the winch use a safety line or a pull?

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Did you run the "Escalator" or no? Y'all have it good out west. Someday we'll make the trek out there to explore the beautiful parks you have. Nice pics.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Nice pics. :)

Where's the Escalator, Hell's Gate and Mickey's Hot Tub pics? :D Did you go by yourself? You need to go with a group so you can hit the fun stuff without having to worry about being stranded (if you didn't go with a group....can't tell from your pics).

Sean

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice pictures! Was the winch use a safety line or a pull?
It was a bit of both, he was stuck and he also wanted me to keep the front end of his vehicle upright.

Nice pics. :)

Where's the Escalator, Hell's Gate and Mickey's Hot Tub pics? :D Did you go by yourself? You need to go with a group so you can hit the fun stuff without having to worry about being stranded (if you didn't go with a group....can't tell from your pics).

Sean

Sean, I went alone. I have pictures of Mickey's Hot Tub, I will upload a few. I didn't do the Escalator, it freaks me out, or Mickey's Hot Tub. I really want to do Hell's Gate, but I didn't have anybody I trusted to spot me, so I wasn't going to risk it.

And ergh, I posted this in the trail section again-- versus the trail photo section, if a mod wants to move this, that's cool with me! My apologies.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Awesome pics! I love the wheels on your FJ!

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
It was a bit of both, he was stuck and he also wanted me to keep the front end of his vehicle upright.

Sean, I went alone. I have pictures of Mickey's Hot Tub, I will upload a few. I didn't do the Escalator, it freaks me out, or Mickey's Hot Tub. I really want to do Hell's Gate, but I didn't have anybody I trusted to spot me, so I wasn't going to risk it.

And ergh, I posted this in the trail section again-- versus the trail photo section, if a mod wants to move this, that's cool with me! My apologies.
I'll be up in October if you can't make it back before then.....I'm sure we'll do Hell's one of the days. You're more than welcome to come along.

Sean

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be up in October if you can't make it back before then.....I'm sure we'll do Hell's one of the days. You're more than welcome to come along.

Sean
If I'm still living in CO, which is, to say the least, at this point doubtful, It'd be awesome to join you Sean!

A note on the winching that went on, he was definitely stuck well, he was laying on his rear passenger panel and the winch had one hell of a time getting him moving, it was definitely an experience.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you run the "Escalator" or no? Y'all have it good out west. Someday we'll make the trek out there to explore the beautiful parks you have. Nice pics.
The irony is, I'm such a fan of the northeast, shall we propose a geographical trade?!

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
If I'm still living in CO, which is, to say the least, at this point doubtful, It'd be awesome to join you Sean!

A note on the winching that went on, he was definitely stuck well, he was laying on his rear passenger panel and the winch had one hell of a time getting him moving, it was definitely an experience.
Back to LA or somewhere else?

Sean

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back to LA or somewhere else?

Sean
Most likely LA, but I am throwing the possibility of Chicago in there, pending my Chicago trip in June.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good luck with it either way. Not much wheeling in Chicago though. :(

Sean
Haha I appreciate it, I do hope to wheel with you once before I go! Maybe I can make my way to Arizona in the coming months...I'm supposed to be heading to Phoenix on Aug 9 for a Bill Maher show. We'll have to see!

Chicago does have a ton of sporting events, including the Cubs! :jester:

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
You don't want to wheel here in August...not even at night....well unless you went up north into the moutains.

Hopefully I'll be up in Colorado (Ouray area) the first week or 2 in August. Trails should be as plowed as they're gonna get by then.

Sean

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You don't want to wheel here in August...not even at night....well unless you went up north into the moutains.

Hopefully I'll be up in Colorado (Ouray area) the first week or 2 in August. Trails should be as plowed as they're gonna get by then.

Sean
We can hope that! If I'm here then, I'll definitely head down that way if you're looking for another guest!

I can't imagine much hotter than here, and even at that, it's not that bad, so it must be very bad in Arizona around that time if you can't even wheel at night!

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Glad you had a nice time! Did this a bit ago, also had a great time. I'll be doing this again.

Here's a couple of pics of mine there. hope to meet ya on the trail some day.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 83 Posts