Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first post here. Sorry I didn't introduce myself but I appear to be having an issue wiring my new Kenwood DNX7180 to the existing factory harness.

I've purchased a 2011 FJ with the premium JBL sound system and it seems that an aftermarket wiring adapter may not yet be available for my application.

Here's what I've done so far:
I've bypassed everything by installing new amps, speakers, and subs all with new wiring so I won't really need all of the existing wires within the factory harness to operate the new system but I need to get the HU powered up somehow.

Now, I purchased a Metra part #70-1761 and the configuration was totally off. The physical pins on the Metra harness do not mate with factory ones and the actual plugs themselves don't fit one another either. Also, let me add that I called Metra and the rep suggested that he didn't know what the heck I was talking about so I guess they (Metra) may be unaware of this new 2011 configuration...yes/no?

All that said, I'd like to point out that I'm not really electrically savvy so if I've gotta' end up hard-wiring the Kenwood unit, I may be at a loss altogether. This is the final step to my new system's installation and it's all gone smoothly so far (thanks to this forum) but this one last simple step has got me beat and it's all I need to get my system powered up.

Any suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hi guys, first post here. Sorry I didn't introduce myself but I appear to be having an issue wiring my new Kenwood DNX7180 to the existing factory harness.

I've purchased a 2011 FJ with the premium JBL sound system and it seems that an aftermarket wiring adapter may not yet be available for my application.

Here's what I've done so far:
I've bypassed everything by installing new amps, speakers, and subs all with new wiring so I won't really need all of the existing wires within the factory harness to operate the new system but I need to get the HU powered up somehow.

Now, I purchased a Metra part #70-1761 and the configuration was totally off. The physical pins on the Metra harness do not mate with factory ones and the actual plugs themselves don't fit one another either. Also, let me add that I called Metra and the rep suggested that he didn't know what the heck I was talking about so I guess they (Metra) may be unaware of this new 2011 configuration...yes/no?

All that said, I'd like to point out that I'm not really electrically savvy so if I've gotta' end up hard-wiring the Kenwood unit, I may be at a loss altogether. This is the final step to my new system's installation and it's all gone smoothly so far (thanks to this forum) but this one last simple step has got me beat and it's all I need to get my system powered up.

Any suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated.

So, do you only need power and ground? If so, that's fairly easy. Look near the end of http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/122575-2011-audio-mod.html where I ran 8 gauge power and ground to the head end. It's easy if you know how to solder. I know you are not using the head end as an amp, but it still needs solid clean power and ground. You also will need the switched +12 volt wire that turns the head end unit on and off with the ignition.

Be aware that the wiring colors on your system may not be the same as what I posted because mine is the base 6 speaker. When in doubt, use a volt meter to check, or have a shop or a buddy who knows how to use a volt meter to check for you, before you cut and solder anything. Actually, I can tell you how to use a volt meter to find the right wires, but you still need to be able to solder, and the 8 gauge wire I used required a blow torch. You could use a smaller gauge wire, but I wouldn't go too much smaller, and i definitely would not use the factory power and ground.

-FJ Florida-

1 - 2 of 2 Posts