Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can answer. This is my second FJ, my 1st had the 3 inch alum blocks.

Just ordered a 6 inch kit from Ben at Rough Country and it came today.

Can anyone tell me if I can use 5100's with a 3 inch level block instead of the stock shocks with the steel spacer ??

The 5100's should give me 2.5 fully extended and the block would be plus 3 giving me 5.5 inch's of lift.

Hopefully someone else has done this.

Thanks !!

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well, the spacer that comes with the RC kit is 4.5" tall, so the other 1.5" comes from the rest of the components. If you have shocks which give you 2.5" of lift, and use a 3" spacer, you'll have 7" of lift in the front which will definitely put stress on the ABS and brake likes without modification. To use the components you have now, you can use the 3" spacer and dial the 5100s to 1.5" of lift over stock. Or, Rough Country can make you custom spacers to use with your shocks dialed in a 2.5" of lift. I got them with my kit to use Walker Evans coilovers and they were only about $35.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow you guys are quick !

This is a new 09 FJ with 300 miles.

I have the new 6 inch rough country setting in my 3rd car garage now. I was trying to figure a way to save a few bucks.

My thinking was to buy a set of 5100"s add a 3 inch spacer and all I needed was 5 1/2 to clear my garage.

I just wanted to make sure this would work. I just check on Toytec's site and can get a set of 5100's with the coil overs for $599 unless someone knows a better deal. I still will be short.

Either way, what I need to know is can I put the spacer on either 5100's with stock springs or the 5100's with the coil over kit from Toytec and work with my Rough Country 6 inch lift.

Hope I am making sense

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I believe living load answered my question.

I could either purchase a set of 5100's use my stock springs and purchase a spacer or buy the 5100's with the coil over kit from Toytec and use a spacer and adjust either one for the correct hight of 5.5 I need.

I guess the big question is with the 3 inch alum blocks that are sold by everyone, fit on top of the 5100's after they have been adjusted for height ?

Thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
I believe living load answered my question.

I could either purchase a set of 5100's use my stock springs and purchase a spacer or buy the 5100's with the coil over kit from Toytec and use a spacer and adjust either one for the correct hight of 5.5 I need.

I guess the big question is with the 3 inch alum blocks that are sold by everyone, fit on top of the 5100's after they have been adjusted for height ?

Thanks
Basically any spacer that goes on top of the strut will work. There's someone on here selling a set of Walker Evans coilovers for $400. IMO, I'd pick those up before the 5100s because the ride is great and adjustable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the walkers are sold and they had 10k on them which isn't bad I guess. I think the best price I found on the walkers are $700, is that about right or is there a better deal you might know of?

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
For $700 you could just pick up a set of radflo coilovers which are designed for the 6 inch lift and would completly replace the spacer. I don't know if this is what you are looking for but they are a vendor on here so you might check them out.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Are the radflo's alum or steel base ? Arent the walkers all alum ?

I belive the toytecs are all alum too ?
Here's the info from Radflo's site: Body Caps & Eyelets CNC machined 6061 or 7075 aluminum, black anodizing

I'm pretty sure the Walker Evans have aluminum mounting points as well. Not sure about Toytec.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I thought the rough country was a complete kit install your shocks with their springs and you good?

It is a "complete kit" but it essentially is a front spacer kit (the majority of the front end kit uses huge spacers as seen at the top of the pic below ) but the kit still requires you to use your factory front coils as I understand it .............

Both Icon and radlflo now offer replacement front coilovers specifically for the RC 6'' kit...........

·
Registered
790 Posts
thx for that info. im looking at the RC 6 inch lift also (dont even know why 3inch is good enough).

It is a "complete kit" but it essentially is a front spacer kit (the majority of the front end kit uses huge spacers as seen at the top of the pic below ) but the kit still requires you to use your factory front coils as I understand it .............

Both Icon and radlflo now offer replacement front coilovers specifically for the RC 6'' kit...........

·
Registered
698 Posts
thx for that info. im looking at the RC 6 inch lift also (dont even know why 3inch is good enough).
The RC 6" lift is amazing. I just put the stock shocks back on because I'm waiting to have my coilovers rebuilt and the ride is still decent. Really helped me out going through all the flood waters around here a few weeks ago :lol:.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The RC 6" lift is amazing. I just put the stock shocks back on because I'm waiting to have my coilovers rebuilt and the ride is still decent. Really helped me out going through all the flood waters around here a few weeks ago :lol:.
why did you have to say that????? Im gonna have to sell some stuff to put it on.....

do you know if the fabtechs are comparable in ride comfrot? I notied they are the same price on ebay.

·
Registered
640 Posts
why did you have to say that????? Im gonna have to sell some stuff to put it on.....

do you know if the fabtechs are comparable in ride comfrot? I notied they are the same price on ebay.
Where ??? I've always seen the fabtecs priced much higher , and if you're swapping in the newer icons(they already make the fronts but the rears are on there way*) , I don't see the point in buying the higher priced fabtec ........

*Read up here
(I read the whole thread lol lotta good info ) I started off not wanting the rc 6'', then I wanted it 1/4 the way thru the thread , then not about half way thru the same thread ,then in the end I kinda want it again :rofl:

·
Registered
790 Posts
is this the complete kit comparable to RC 6 inch lift?

oh boy im reading through that link and YES its EVEN MORE CONFUSING NOW!!!.....peoplare saying 6 inch lift is not a 6 inch lift and anthing above 3 inch lift is such as the 6 inch is the same as the 3inch lift. oh boy...........

all I want is my truck in general higher off the ground so if I ever need to get under there I dont need a jack or something......whoa.......and for looks.

Fabtech 6" Lift Kit Toyota FJ:eBay Motors (item 220463936456 end time Oct-06-09 10:49:24 PDT)

Where ??? I've always seen the fabtecs priced much higher , and if you're swapping in the newer icons(they already make the fronts but the rears are on there way*) , I don't see the point in buying the higher priced fabtec ........

*Read up here
(I read the whole thread lol lotta good info ) I started off not wanting the rc 6'', then I wanted it 1/4 the way thru the thread , then not about half way thru the same thread ,then in the end I kinda want it again :rofl:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The six inch R/C was delivered last week and purchased it from R/C ( spoke with Ben) direct at a out-sanding price. Thanks to Livingloud's suggestion, I contacted Radflo and will be ordering the six inch coil overs on Monday. I purchased a set of 305's Nittos on 20 inch black liquid metal wheels and I only need 5 inch's of lift to clear my Garage. You choice is all about what you want to do with your rig. I run a comm adjusting company and I travel a lot around the Midwest. I believe the R/C and radflos will do the job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts