Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my ARB rear bumper this weekend went on fine. Although the previous owner of my FJ had a Reese trailer hitch installed on it and I noticed when I took the hitch off that the drivers side bolts were stripped so I could not get the 2 bolts on the drivers side of the vehicle. I cant just put a nut and a washer on because it is inside of the box frame. Can anyone please offer me any advice on what or how I can fix this maybe drill out and use a long bolt through to the other side and bolt and washer??? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated thanks alot!!!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I installed my ARB rear bumper this weekend went on fine. Although the previous owner of my FJ had a Reese trailer hitch installed on it and I noticed when I took the hitch off that the drivers side bolts were stripped so I could not get the 2 bolts on the drivers side of the vehicle. I cant just put a nut and a washer on because it is inside of the box frame. Can anyone please offer me any advice on what or how I can fix this maybe drill out and use a long bolt through to the other side and bolt and washer??? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated thanks alot!!!
Why not just use a tap and re-tap the threads? If they are too far gone, you could drill out the hole and try to use the next larger sized tap. If that wont work either, then a really long bolt through the top of the frame would work, but i would use that as a last resort.

Tap and die kit:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I already tried that route. It is just a nut that is welded well maybe tacked inside of the box and when I started drilling the nut broke off :flame: so now the only meat there is the frame metal which isn't adequate to tap which is why I mentioned maybe drilling through or maybe if there is a blind bolt or something like that... I dont know???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts