Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
Post a pic. for me Mo....I'll solve that problem of yours.........well not THAT problem:jester:
You always make me bust out laughing, Kurt. I should just bring you my truck.

"Here! YOU fix it!"

M

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
kurts really good at fixing things.....especially chicks back ends.....i mean....he fixed my truck in arizona......the back of my truck........bla bla bla
:) :) :)
Too late! The pictures are already out there. :eek:

M

·
Registered
130 Posts
This forum's great...

I've just come 25 miles thru 2+ feet of (light n fluffy) snow, complete with the occasional 3-4 foot drift and have the "slip indicator", "vsc off" and "vsc trac" lites on.

When I shut down and restart the engine, all is fine...until I drive about a half-mile. Then, all 3 come indicator lights come on.

Now, bein every bit as smart as a whip, lol, I knew it just had to be related to a build-up of snow ---somewhere--- so came on here to find out where to look first.

Headed for the carwash now to remove snow build-up around the backside of the front wheels (and the wheels themselves, doin the hippy-hippy shake) and then have a look see.

Thanx!

PS: hello "NBFJCruz"!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
While there was a fair amount of snow (and some ice) around the sensors, all appears intact at the front wheels.

There's a fair amount of build-up all the way back to the rear bumper - I concentrated only on the front wheels.

But, the 3 lites are still coming on after driving a short distance.

I did notice something else that may help the experts -- to help me...and anyone else with a similiar problem:

When the engine is first started, all dash lites come on as they should -- then, go out as they should.

Tonite I started away a little harder n faster than usual on a snow-packed road. The VSC system activated as it always has - I heard it; I saw the Slip Indicator lite come on and the skid was quickly brought under control.

Half mile of normal driving later, all 3 lites came on again. Tried to force a second skid and, for the first time in a year, did a rather nice 180. The VSC was not working, just as the lite suggests.

So, could any of this suggest something other than a wheel sensor -- or is that likely still the problem?

Thanx!

PS: t-case in 2WD during all this...

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
The other place it could be is just above the rear axle. The Sensor cable comes down to the axle and if something hits it just right it can cut it. Mine did from running over something in a vacant lot. Never heard a thing when it happened. Its just a 2 conductor cable no big deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The other place it could be is just above the rear axle. The Sensor cable comes down to the axle and if something hits it just right it can cut it. Mine did from running over something in a vacant lot. Never heard a thing when it happened. Its just a 2 conductor cable no big deal.
I encountered the same, because of the cat-back. The sensors harness got burnt after I installed the cat-back, but the problem occurred after 5 days of the installation. I paid about $60 for a new harness :boohoo:

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I encountered the same, because of the cat-back. The sensors harness got burnt after I installed the cat-back, but the problem occurred after 5 days of the installation. I paid about $60 for a new harness :boohoo:
I looked for a new harness but the best price i could get was about $85. So I just soldiered it and heat shrink it. I had to pick up small heat shrink so I think total cost was about $4 plus my time and gas.

·
Registered
130 Posts
UPDATE:

I had the computer hooked up to it yesterday morning.

Code came up, related to a "Steering Angle sensor" located in the steering column.

This sensor measures driver input and also senses over-correction.

Recalibrated this to "zero" and all was fine.

And still is.

Handles better on the road too!

Thanx to all and a very Merry Christmas to everyoone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, that was a quick response, and I'll let ya know which one it is, maybe we can make our dashes match, but with all the correct lights on. :rofl: Well, i havn't checked yet but where exactly are both the 4Wheel drive actuator and the front wheel sensor? Going out to look around now.

Edit ok, I found the Wheel sensors and reading up on a few other threads I think its related to a break in one of the wires. I'm going to hook up a volt to it tomorrow, too tired tonight.
You mention using a volt meter to check the sensor, and you please explain?

I had my sway bar end link break taking out the CV boot and ultimately leading to lights all coming on..

21 - 31 of 31 Posts