Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off........ I have looked at the threads related to adding a switch for the DRLs. I still have some questions.

I have attached a picture taken from one showing the DRL relay wire that gets cut so that extended wires mat be run to a switch in the cab.

Hopefully I can get some help from those of you who have added the DRL switch. I bought a DRL switch from a vendor that fits in one of the blank switch spots. I need some help identifying connecting it though. The pigtail that came with the switch has four wires.

* black (ground)
*green/yellow (+12V)
*blue/yellow (dash lights)
*red/yellow (DRL relay)

I pulled the switch panel and saw that it looks like I can tap into existing wires going to one of the switches for the dash light and ground. But I don't have a wiring diagram so I don't know which wire does what.

HELP!

Here are my thoughts on what to do:

Assuming I have a wire running FROM and TO the DRL relay under the hood (which I do!)

Please refer to the photo of the switch below.

= One wire FROM the DRL relay gets attached to the green/yellow wire
= The other wire TO the DRL relay get attached to the red/yellow wire
(this seems like it would make or break the power going to and from the DRL relay, thus turning on and off)
= Black wire goes to a ground
= Blue/yellow wires gets attached to dash light dimmer switch

Below are images of the wiring diagram supplied with the and a photo of the DRL switch pigtail and also a photo lifted from one of the threads explaining how to add a switch for the DRLs.

Thanks in advance for any direction!

Dave
Bel Air, MD

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
Your BL/YL should go to the Green wire at the dimmer. May be green with silver bands from what I read. I wrote just green in my notes. That is the light positive power for the switch back lighting. Your BLACK should go to the White w/ Green stripe at the dimmer. This is the negative and will ground the switch and let the new switch dim.

Your GR/YL just get ignition 12V...like from an add-a-fuse. Your RD/YL trigger wire just run to the relay.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your BL/YL should go to the Green wire at the dimmer. May be green with silver bands from what I read. I wrote just green in my notes. That is the light positive power for the switch back lighting. Your BLACK should go to the White w/ Green stripe at the dimmer. This is the negative and will ground the switch and let the new switch dim.

Your GR/YL just get ignition 12V...like from an add-a-fuse. Your RD/YL trigger wire just run to the relay.
Adam,

Thank you for the help! But, being a "dummy" I am not understanding. Here is a sketch of what I understand you to be telling me. It seems pretty clear except, what do I do with the other blue wire (my extension coming from the DRL relay)?

As I understand this whole thing, I am adding a switch in the cut that I make to the OEM DRL trigger wire (blue w/silver bands) as shown in the relay picture. I am okay with that part.

But according to your advice, I still have one side of the cut I make in the DRL trigger wire open.

Can you please try again to help me understand?

If you can provide corrections to my sketch that might be a good way to go!

Thanks again!

dave
bel air, md

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,939 Posts
Ah I see. I guess my explaination was better suited for using a switch and one wire through the firewall for a relay.... It was mainly how I got my OTRATTW switches to work with the dash lights and dimmer.

In your situation, I am wondering if simply connecting the G/Y and R/Y to your blue extension wires and if doing so would switch them? I dont know enough about the DRL harness to say. You would have to test that, or someone smarter will have to come in and help ;)

My question (to anyone who may chime in) is would this need a relay? Relay sounds like overkill to simply switch the DRLs, but I dont know.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
RV, all your wanting is to make and break connection using a switch to control your DRL. By cutting the Rd/blu wire you have broken the connection, you simply need to connect the switch where you have cut the red/blu wire.
Gr/yl to the wire in the harness side and R/Y to the remaining tail attached to the relay. Connect the remaining wires to the dash dimmer switch to control the new DRL switch illumination done.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
I've done this but i'm having a hard time understanding the help that is being given. I did have a go with a lighted switch later on but i tried and fried my DRL's. I couldnt figure out which wire went where...

Intially I used a simple switch, two wires go back and forth between the cut wires and the switch..1 wire from one cut to one switch tab and another wire going from the other switch tab to the other cut wire. now the wire has a completed circuit with the switch in the middle to turn on/off.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
^^^^ Sounds like you have it correct as far as a basic switch only. You only have to think a basic switch function is no different then if you cut a wire... Once cut the circuit is broken (off), join the wire back together and the circuit is re made (on).

For a basic illuminated switch you are only adding a light bulb that will be wired separate from the switching wires. You need a 12volt power wire (in this case taken from the dash dimmer) and you need to ground the light.

Hope that clears things up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To all who answered,

Thanks for the help and your patience. I won't have time to dive back into removing the console to get the switch installed for a week or so, but now I feel I know WHAT to do.

I think I am going to test the switch functions as described with a test light and 12V power supply before I get it installed in the switch panel.

I also think I am going to get a inline fuse holder and put a 3A fuse (the switch is rated at 3A) in the R/Y wire coming from the DRL relay for the final installation.

dave
bel air, md

1 - 8 of 8 Posts