Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife was driving the fj when all the sudden it just shuts down. We have plenty of spark but won't even idle. Thinking either fuel pum or relay but any sugestions would be great. All belts are still on also. Getting ready to get it towed home. Just ordered a obd 2 code reader. It only has 60k miles if that means anything. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Not enough info. Year, trans, where you live (Temp outside) any recent repairs, Battery age ,Lights on dash, ect

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2010 auto transmission no idiot light came on. No repairs and great battery only 1 year old. Its maybe low 40's here at the time it happend

·
Admin
6,903 Posts
Gas?

·
Desert Moderator
6,084 Posts
happened to me recently - contaminated fuel (water)
has it been refuelled recently?

·
Admin
6,903 Posts
happened to me recently - contaminated fuel (water)
has it been refuelled recently?
Maybe accidentally put diesel in the FJ? I hear about that happening every once in a while...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rig tries to start then pukes out right away. I have just under 1/4 tank so no new fill ups and no diesel. Tried the batter trick no no avail. But thanks sono40 for reminding me of that trick. Also checked the fuel cap nothing with it. Got a obd coming tomorrow. I'm in no way a pro mechanic but im not bad with a wrench either so ill give it a look. Just got it towed home so now the wait.

·
Admin
6,903 Posts
Fill it up (or at least add some)... the fuel gauge might be off.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Ooooo!!! Good idea! I’m over here thinking about unscrupulous enemies and one in a billion failures. Could be as simple as a lying fuel gauge.

But, do you have a nefarious rival who might have cleverly added some dish soap to the fuel while you were not watching? Maybe someone who wears a cape and has a mustache? And maybe they laugh in a certain, peculiar way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Admin
6,903 Posts
Ooooo!!! Good idea! I’m over here thinking about unscrupulous enemies and one in a billion failures. Could be as simple as a lying fuel gauge.

But, do you have a nefarious rival who might have cleverly added some dish soap to the fuel while you were not watching? Maybe someone who wears a cape and has a mustache? And maybe they laugh in a certain, peculiar way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This guy???
dick.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohhh no not dick dasterdly and muttly. Hadn't thought about those two lol. Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.
First thing i was going to do was send the wife to bring a 5 gallon jerry can. I was thinking maybe air locked since we had just gone around a corner. Now that it's home i will see what happens when i put a gallon or two in it.
The gage usually will go further than that but who knows might have a sticky sending unit or?
No warning light came on for gas. 1 time i actually had it that low. So i know it comes on.
Anyway im over thinking this and will get on it in the morning.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well here is the
update. my sending unit got stuck. Didn't know. It said i had 1/4 tank it LIED! after some scratching my head tapping things lightly umm yeah. Then thought what the hell put about 3 or 4 gallons in it and it fired right up. Then went to gas station and added 16 gallons yike it was seriously dry.
No i know get lower than 1/4 tank i could be playing with fire.
It definitely caught me by suprise. I should of listened to my instincts to get gas but had convinced my self it couldn't be.
Thanks guys a couple of you were right.
Was it out of gas? I bet gauge wasn't working correctly right?
Yup bone dry lut of gas. At this point i think it might be the sending unit since i have had it lower 1 or 2 times. I topped it all the way and the gauge jumped all the way to full.
I'm not going to chance it and will use my mileage counter from now on.

·
Admin
6,903 Posts
Well here is the
update. my sending unit got stuck. Didn't know. It said i had 1/4 tank it LIED! after some scratching my head tapping things lightly umm yeah. Then thought what the hell put about 3 or 4 gallons in it and it fired right up. Then went to gas station and added 16 gallons yike it was seriously dry.
No i know get lower than 1/4 tank i could be playing with fire.
It definitely caught me by suprise. I should of listened to my instincts to get gas but had convinced my self it couldn't be.
Thanks guys a couple of you were right.

Yup bone dry lut of gas. At this point i think it might be the sending unit since i have had it lower 1 or 2 times. I topped it all the way and the gauge jumped all the way to full.
I'm not going to chance it and will use my mileage counter from now on.
Maybe toss a couple cans of Seafoam into the tank and use premium for a bit.... might de-gunk it if that's the issue.

·
Desert Moderator
6,084 Posts
Buy an ultragauge and use the distance to empty function.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe toss a couple cans of Seafoam into the tank and use premium for a bit.... might de-gunk it if that's the issue.
Yup i filled it with premium. We are thinking the same. I think the seafoam is a good idea i hadn't thought about. That's a BG product right?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts