Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I've got a truck with 2 sending units that like to make stuff up.
Glad to hear is wasn't a diabolical neighbor!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Glad it was nothing. 60k on an FJ is nothin', and you should have no problems...unless you have some kind of lemon. I think for people in Oregon, you've got to watch your fuel filter because they buy all the unfiltered dirty gas...I used to live there and that was the word on the street. For those of you who are interested, I recently put Royal Purple engine cleaner instead of Sea Foam (loved that brand for years). It's more expensive, but the results were freakishly better than anything I've tried before. I've got 170k on my FJ and after the treatment it felt like when I first bought the truck. I mean I got my power back. Woah, not kidding. Must have had a ton of carbon built up over the years...but obviously not any more. And it still doesn't throw oil...or burn it up. After 6 months my oil reads the same as when I drove it away from the last service. Of course as soon as I hit send on this post, the whole thing will just fall apart like a Model T in a Laurel and Hardy picture show.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Glad it was nothing. 60k on an FJ is nothin', and you should have no problems...unless you have some kind of lemon. I think for people in Oregon, you've got to watch your fuel filter because they buy all the unfiltered dirty gas...I used to live there and that was the word on the street. For those of you who are interested, I recently put Royal Purple engine cleaner instead of Sea Foam (loved that brand for years). It's more expensive, but the results were freakishly better than anything I've tried before. I've got 170k on my FJ and after the treatment it felt like when I first bought the truck. I mean I got my power back. Woah, not kidding. Must have had a ton of carbon built up over the years...but obviously not any more. And it still doesn't throw oil...or burn it up. After 6 months my oil reads the same as when I drove it away from the last service. Of course as soon as I hit send on this post, the whole thing will just fall apart like a Model T in a Laurel and Hardy picture show.
And I bought the truck new during the summer of '06 when they first entered the market. Ever since I saw the concept truck, I had my eye on it. Every time I get in, or out...I feel the same as when I first got in or out...I will never get over how much I love the FJ. I love you FJ. There, I got that off my chest. Be well fellas.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fill it up (or at least add some)... the fuel gauge might be off.

Happened to me in the middle of the night. Float stuck and I ran outta gas. I figured it out the next day when I added some fuel. That wasnt before I went through a bunch of other stuff though. :)

It started working after about a week. During that time I had a 2 gallon gas can in the FJ just in case, and I ran out of gas 2 other times just to see where the needle was stopping.

I still dont really trust it. So the Seafoam may help?

·
Premium Member
11,831 Posts
Pfffffft…...I'm currently the width of a bank card below the E line.....I can make it home.
Pushed it to the width of 2 bank cards below E...wasn't worried about being stranded as I have 25 gallons of 91 for the snowmobile riding along in the back.

Filled 'er up - 68L. Darn near sucking fumes.

·
Admin
6,903 Posts

I still dont really trust it. So the Seafoam may help?
Honestly, no idea.... can't hurt though.

Mine's an 08 and I haven't had any issues. I strictly use good fuel though as well... and exclusively premium for the past couple years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Always a good idea to reset the trip odometer at every fill up in case something like this happens. Have a 73 MGB for which I've been doing the same for 40 years. For the last 20 years or so the fuel gauge runs down to empty even though there's still a quarter of a tank of fuel back there.
It's British, so I know if I attempt to repair, it will just open up a can of worms. Odometer vigilance does the trick.

·
Desert Moderator
6,084 Posts
Pushed it to the width of 2 bank cards below E...wasn't worried about being stranded as I have 25 gallons of 91 for the snowmobile riding along in the back.

Filled 'er up - 68L. Darn near sucking fumes.
Plenty left. At least 12L

21 - 32 of 32 Posts