Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my meter at home and all my buddy has is a test light. Does anybody know the polarity of the door wires? Is the Red/blue stripe positive???

Quick help will be appreciated! I will reward all with pictures :)

BTW - MB Quart Discus are going in.

PS Dang the site is slow tonight!

PSS I HATE the search feature. Why does it bit donkey %@#@ so much?

·
Registered
215 Posts
according to another post on this forum, red is positive and black is negative.

That was for the speakers on the dash -- not sure if you have the same color wires in the door.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iamnid said:
according to another post on this forum, red is positive and black is negative.

That was for the speakers on the dash -- not sure if you have the same color wires in the door.
Thanks, unfortunately they are not those colors. If only it as always as simple as red & black!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Red/Blue is positive. Ties into the pink wire off the back of the head unit. PM me and I can send you a block diagram.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FJ_Lee said:
Red/Blue is positive. Ties into the pink wire off the back of the head unit. PM me and I can send you a block diagram.

Thanks Lee. I got this a little late as I alread went for it. I guessed wrong for the left side - I went with Pink with blue stripe as positive. The right side I am also concerned with. I went red pos and white neg. I think I'm okay there as on most older Toyota's, I believe the right rear is red/white and wired as indicated above. If you know different, please advise... other than that - I'm done. Sounds better, but not awesome or anything. The truth is, there really is little point to spend big dollars on speakers that can handle decent wattage if you're going to run it off the stock amp. Fortunately, I am awaiting the arrival of my 2-channel, 50 RMS amp which I'll run these with.

Thanks again for the info. oh.. I'll PM you for the diagram.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Did you post the pics yet.?
I'm interested in the process of removing the door panels. Perhaps you could post a description?
Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bartt said:
I'm interested in the process of removing the door panels. Perhaps you could post a description?
Thanks.

Not yet. Tonight I'll post them. The install was pretty simple, although there are different routes you can go for the mounting. BTW - 6.5 component rounds would be NO problem in these doors. Toyota even shaped the window to circumference a speake embedded deep into the door. Put plainly - it can except the deepest 6x9 on the market today -

·
Registered
101 Posts
bartt said:
Thanks.
I'll try and tackle the speakers again tonight and I'll get some pics for you. The doors are realtively easy to get off. There are 2 screws that need to be taken out (one behind the door hands and one behind the pull handle). Then there is a pressure clip up near the corner where the mirror is. This clip can be taken out by pressing in on the center with a pen or pencil and then pulling out. Once you've done that you can pull the door off. It is held on by clips (You will need to use a little force). Start at the bottom.

Once the door panel is off you have to remove the 2 cables (lock and handle) and the window button plug. Took me 1 minute the first time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
funky_junk said:
I'll try and tackle the speakers again tonight and I'll get some pics for you. The doors are realtively easy to get off. There are 2 screws that need to be taken out (one behind the door hands and one behind the pull handle). Then there is a pressure clip up near the corner where the mirror is. This clip can be taken out by pressing in on the center with a pen or pencil and then pulling out. Once you've done that you can pull the door off. It is held on by clips (You will need to use a little force). Start at the bottom.

Once the door panel is off you have to remove the 2 cables (lock and handle) and the window button plug. Took me 1 minute the first time.
Can you post pic's on the removal of the door pannel and the install of your new speakers? I am trying to decide wether to go with rounds or 6X9.

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
101 Posts
jayazusa said:
Can you post pic's on the removal of the door pannel and the install of your new speakers? I am trying to decide wether to go with rounds or 6X9.

Thanks,
Jay
6X9's will be the easiest unless you want to cut the door panel and put 8's in there (Which I may do down the road). I will post pics as I go.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks Funky_Junk for the pointers. I saw the little doors for the screws you mentioned but I was going to try to pry up on the pin thingy. I would have busted it all to hell.
Looking forward to pics. :)

BTW, check out www.partsexpress.com for speakers. They usually have some pretty good deals on the drivers.

I was wondering about 8's in the doors as well. Parts Express has some real nice 8 in woofers that I might try.

·
Registered
101 Posts
bartt said:
Thanks Funky_Junk for the pointers. I saw the little doors for the screws you mentioned but I was going to try to pry up on the pin thingy. I would have busted it all to hell.
Looking forward to pics. :)

BTW, check out www.partsexpress.com for speakers. They usually have some pretty good deals on the drivers.

I was wondering about 8's in the doors as well. Parts Express has some real nice 8 in woofers that I might try.
I got a set of 3 way alpines for the door and 2 way eclipses for the dash for about $70 (Diplay models at freemans in Charlotte)

cool stuff on that site btw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts