Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 4 vehicles with the 4.0 and they all make the same noise although the volume is slightly different in each. I did notice that the 14 fj and the 16 4runner are a little louder than the earlier engine. (they also do not perform as well as the earlier engine)
I drove the 2011 fj from new to 143000 miles with no change in the noise. I did have it checked at the dealer when I first noticed the ticking. They wanted to tear the engine down to inspect for the cause but stated that they did not know what to expect. I declined.
I went to 10-30 Castrol Syn. and the engine was much quieter. The noise never increased over the life of the engine. I used premium filters and an oil change interval of 10,000 miles. New air filter with every oil change.
Based on my experience with these engines I would just drive it and enjoy your FJ.
Robert

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I have 4 vehicles with the 4.0 and they all make the same noise although the volume is slightly different in each. I did notice that the 14 fj and the 16 4runner are a little louder than the earlier engine. (they also do not perform as well as the earlier engine)
I drove the 2011 fj from new to 143000 miles with no change in the noise. I did have it checked at the dealer when I first noticed the ticking. They wanted to tear the engine down to inspect for the cause but stated that they did not know what to expect. I declined.
I went to 10-30 Castrol Syn. and the engine was much quieter. The noise never increased over the life of the engine. I used premium filters and an oil change interval of 10,000 miles. New air filter with every oil change.
Based on my experience with these engines I would just drive it and enjoy your FJ.
Robert
Hi OLD BOB, it's certainly very reassuring that you have a fairly extensive experience in ownership of these vehicles with same engine and being able to listen to the videos posted here and confirm with your personal experience. Definately helps to put me more at ease now since there's another Australian FJ owner who's also had 2 and he said both his have made the noise since new on his 2012 and 2016 FJ's. I'm starting to enjoy the thing and the noise kind of gives it more truck like character. Fingers crossed despite the noise, the engine lasts and is just a characteristic of this engine. LOL. Thanks again for your input and sharing your experience. Much appreciated :wink

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mine had been making the same noise since day 1.......13 years later same noise no louder no worse.
Awesome thanks for your input. Much appreciated. So sounds liek these 4.0 v6 engine regardless of vvti or dual vvti iterations are all noisy engines. Some more so than others.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Bump your fuel up to 89 see if that helps. Run the good stuff 93 a couple of times.
I've been using the highest rating fuel available at the pumps being 98 octane/RON here in Australia. Probably the only time it MAY have run on anything less was when I took delivery of it as a used car which may have been filled with 91 RON by the dealer but that was about 5000kms ago. So far it's, already gone through a good 4 full tanks of 98 RON fuel and it doesnt make any difference whether I use BP, shell or Costco fuel. So definately not a fuel issue here that's contributing to the noise but thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Lee44, I made an error in the above post about the dealer manager part. I've fixed it up. What I meant to say was I spoke to him about one of their FJ's engine diesel like clacking sound (which was still quieter than mine).
The Toyota dealer put in 10w30 Toyota genuine oil (supposedly) and I'm considering changing the oil to Castrol Edge 5w30 oil to give it a try.
I've only had mine for around just over 3000km so around 2000miles. In terms of changes to the sound since, I think it has gotten a little bit pronounced in the tapping/knocking sound at times but generally the diesel type clatter was there.
Doesn't Toyota specify 0W20 Synthetic oil? Maybe read the owner's manual?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been using the highest rating fuel available at the pumps being 98 octane/RON here in Australia. Probably the only time it MAY have run on anything less was when I took delivery of it as a used car which may have been filled with 91 RON by the dealer but that was about 5000kms ago. So far it's, already gone through a good 4 full tanks of 98 RON fuel and it doesnt make any difference whether I use BP, shell or Costco fuel. So definately not a fuel issue here that's contributing to the noise but thanks for the suggestion.
Read the owner's manual? Toyota specifies the recommended fuel in that book....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I would suggest oil change and be sure to use genuine toyota brand oil filter. Thats a noisy 4.0.
Only been using genuine toyota oil filter. Even tried Toyota's own oil during the service which is what resulted in the engine tapping noise appearing/being noticeable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Read the owner's manual? Toyota specifies the recommended fuel in that book....
Owners manual states 95 RON and above but can use 91 RON if others unavailable. I've been using 98 RON which is the best fuel available here in Australia. I've always used 98 RON for all my cars which I assume would be equivalent to 93 fuel at the pumps over in the States.

Just in case others are wondering what the difference in octane rating for our fuels vs the states, here is an article link:
https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

So USA vs Europe & rest of the world
87 PON= 91RON
91 PON= 95RON
93 PON= 98RON

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Doesn't Toyota specify 0W20 Synthetic oil? Maybe read the owner's manual?
Depends on your climate in your country. but here in Australia due to the potential heat, the dealers recommend/use anything from 5w30 to 10w30. I've even consulted several dealers and read that owners manual front to back and we can go up to 20w50 but the minimum for us according to the owners manual is 5w30. So for us it's between 5w30 up to 20w50.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Owners manual states 95 RON and above but can use 91 RON if others unavailable. I've been using 98 RON which is the best fuel available here in Australia. I've always used 98 RON for all my cars which I assume would be equivalent to 93 fuel at the pumps over in the States.

Just in case others are wondering what the difference in octane rating for our fuels vs the states, here is an article link:
https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

So USA vs Europe & rest of the world
87 PON= 91RON
91 PON= 95RON
93 PON= 98RON
So, there is your answer!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depends on your climate in your country. but here in Australia due to the potential heat, the dealers recommend/use anything from 5w30 to 10w30. I've even consulted several dealers and read that owners manual front to back and we can go up to 20w50 but the minimum for us according to the owners manual is 5w30. So for us it's between 5w30 up to 20w50.
It makes sense that Toyota would different recommendations based on operating environment. Regardless, my feeling is (based on over 40 years doing machine design and recommending maintenance products for users) that the manufacturer usually knows what is going to work best with their designs. While is is sometimes possible to use a higher quality product than what is recommended it is rarely necessary.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
I have no advice, but the video appears to show a LHD FJ - I wasn't aware that LHD is kosher in Australia?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have no advice, but the video appears to show a LHD FJ - I wasn't aware that LHD is kosher in Australia?
No in Australia vehicles are all RHD. The viideos you saw were only comparison videos i mentioned were “similar to mine” in sound. I only posted one video of mine and that was the first one in the dark. The last two videos of comparative sounds were the most accurate compared to mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
It makes sense that Toyota would different recommendations based on operating environment. Regardless, my feeling is (based on over 40 years doing machine design and recommending maintenance products for users) that the manufacturer usually knows what is going to work best with their designs. While is is sometimes possible to use a higher quality product than what is recommended it is rarely necessary.[/QUOTE]

I can see your point and since I havent owned the vehicle since new I wanted to give it the best oil product I can to minimise potential sludge or whatever other problem may arise but from what i see on your vehicles oil filler cap over in the states, it usually says 0w30? But on our caps there's nothing printed and also the minimum recommended according to the book for us besides the range of oil viscosities chart. It states recommended to use 5w30 to 15w40. The toyota dealer during last service put in 10w30 part synthetic oil and that's when i started to really hear the noise. So the oil was swapped out to 5w30 full synthetic and new genuine filter to test the theory and if anything made it even more noisier so sounds like the thinner the oil the noisier it gets. Funny thing is, it appears people with this issue seem to get varying results with differing oil viscosities, some with more success than others and some like myself, none so far but that's early in the experiment though. The dealers i consulted also didnt recommend using anything less than 5w30 even though i mentioned my last toyota back in 2000 (rav4) you could use 0w30 etc and same as my honda jazz.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts