Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all,

Getting rid of my RX-8 for something bigger for my growing family, and all of the sudden, decided the FJ was for me (must be the doors...). Anyway, I found one that seems to be in good shape and I'm just learning the market, so I thought I'd check with you experts. Obviously, this is a buyers market.

It's a 2007 Black Cherry 4x4, auto with 12,500 miles on it. Not sure which package, but has power everything, CD changer with sub, 17" wheels (not the black ones, but the silver six spoke with the Dunlops.

EXTRAS installed: TRD intake, Borla dual exhaust, molded heavy plastic step bars, carpeted mat set for front, back and rear, and XM Radio that is still fully functional.

They have it priced at $24,995, which seems fairly outrageous given the day and age we live in . This is a used car lot that deals mostly in Audis and VW's and has a lot of nice vehicles on the lot. The only other FJ they have is a 2007 with 12 miles on it, which gives me a pretty good idea of what's happening in the FJ market... Anyway, I drove it and it seems very straight -- also very dirty, in and out, but no dings or scratches. (I think it has been sitting at the auction and now this dealership.)

What's fair? And thanks much in advance. I'm already excited to start modding in and out. (Oh, and I am retailing the RX-8 on my own, so no trade-in nonsense.)

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Based on the current market I would think it should be closer to $20K.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm in the same boat sbindley...looking at a 2007 FJC (roof rack, running boards, passenger arm rest, stearing wheel controls, rubber floor mats) with approximately 11,500 miles. They are asking $24,343 and KBB says that in excellent condition that it would retail for $28,000. I have read other forums where members have mentioned that the value of their FJC has dropped significantly so I was suprised to see KBB list a 2007 model at the price they did (even with the low miles). I would jump on buying if the price was more around $20,000.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think I would keep my eyes open for a good clean one. Be patient, you'll find it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not worried about a little dirt that a trip to the car wash won't fix. I'm more interested in price advice.

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Howdy,

Search the forum. There are posts of folks getting '08 models for $200 to $1000 below invoice. At those prices the new '08's are selling for what the used '07 is priced at.

But, buy an FJ! You won't be sorry!

Good luck!

dale

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Keep looking, you can do better. Keep an eye on this forum, some are starting to bail out of their FJ's.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It could be the "Upgrade package 2" (at least thats what they call it in 2008, but Im not sure about 2007), in which case, its a pretty pricey option.

A base model new 4x4 MT FJ (if you can find one), is still pretty well equipped, and runs about 21k on invoice, so I would hope you can get by under 23k. I am searching for an FJ and was quoted ~300 off invoice. Unfortunately, the FJ doesnt have any incentives right now, which is probably the only thing keeping me from buying one. Tundras and 4runners have the 0% which is really nice. I dunno though... all this talk about high gas prices and new car payments have me questioning if its really worth trading in my 20 year old beater.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remember, I am looking at USED FJ's, where "invoice" doesn't really apply. They either bought them at auction, or took them in a trade, and I would guess that either way, they were acquired for less than 20K (maybe 15-17). Anyway, I'll play the game and see what happens. The ones I am looking at are mid-level models. I need to get a list of 5-6 identical vehicles in the area and let them fight it out...

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It doesn't matter what KBB says. A car is only worth what an actual person will pay for it. If you feel like a price is fair for you then write it down and hand it to them with your phone number. Say "if you're ready to sell it for this price.... give me a call." If they never call, then no sweat. Just keep looking until you find somebody who is willing to sell to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts